81 replies to this topic

#21 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Do we know yet if our errors are bootloader version related or system version related or what?

I seem to remember that p3 reverted the system for the bionic so that a fastboot was possible... but was the bionic's bootloader unchanged? I can't seem to remember...

My thought is simple. If it's a bootloader incompatibility, we're in for a tough or impossible fix. But if it's a system incompatibility, then all we need to do is successfully change our system to 173 or 181. And for that we would just need to get a GB system to run on an ICS kernel. Basically the opposite of what STS dev has been doing. Possible?

It probably wouldn't work for RSD but might for a manual CLI process.

Thoughts?

[ 43V3R IC3'd on .84 ]
[ sent from _base2 ]

#22 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

From what I gather it is a bootloader issue. Otherwise an Advanced System Restore from a NAND would work. But thats been tested and the phone just boot loops. It doesn't like to run GB on the ICS kernel.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#23 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

From what I gather it is a bootloader issue. Otherwise an Advanced System Restore from a NAND would work. But thats been tested and the phone just boot loops. It doesn't like to run GB on the ICS kernel.

You are correct, the .84 and the .85 leak have an updated bootloader. That's what is causing the issues with fastbooting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#24 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

:D Taco!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Twitter:iDroidGuy
  • Google+:Stephen Wilmot-Doxey
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Pretty happy my dl failed when I wanted to try the leak. I'm fine on GB for now

If you'd like to buy me a Mountain Dew just PM me for my PayPal info. Thanks :)

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#25 blaten22

blaten22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

So a back up of someones gingerbread system copied and flash to a bricked phone wont work?

#26 ssmaynv

ssmaynv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Nope. Tried that..

#27 bryan77

bryan77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Will the .84 or.85 system run on a .75 bootloader and kernel? Im running the .75 leak and wonder if i could just flash a .85 system backup through cwm? This way i could restore back up if no go?

#28 ssmaynv

ssmaynv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

Again. Nope :-)

#29 perlmane

perlmane

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

The reality is, the bootloader will fail on everything until someone finds a way around it. There are many various ways listed to restore the Razr, but none of them work and if you try them you will have the brick that I now have. My replacement will arrive on Tuesday.

For what it is worth, the whole reason I went from Microsoft to Android and not IOS was because of the "open" nature of Android. My replacement will be a Samsung since they served me so well with the Microsoft phones I had. My first Android was the Droid X, then the Xoom, then the Bionic, then the Razr Maxx. TTFN Moto - never again! Hello Sammy.

#30 MartyChubbs

MartyChubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationThe Ghetto, Minnesota

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

The reality is, the bootloader will fail on everything until someone finds a way around it. There are many various ways listed to restore the Razr, but none of them work and if you try them you will have the brick that I now have. My replacement will arrive on Tuesday.

For what it is worth, the whole reason I went from Microsoft to Android and not IOS was because of the "open" nature of Android. My replacement will be a Samsung since they served me so well with the Microsoft phones I had. My first Android was the Droid X, then the Xoom, then the Bionic, then the Razr Maxx. TTFN Moto - never again! Hello Sammy.

I understand your frustration, but sammy phones feel cheap...moto needs to lighten up...hope the dev phones help them save face...if they don't rape us on them...
I (aka Mr. Chubbs aka Marty "The Wad" Chubbs aka Knot Mehreelname ) accept no liability for the content of this post. I basically made it all up as I was typing...

#31 bryan77

bryan77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

Actually the reality is you should have waited on the leak to be tested before jumping into it. I always wait at least a day or so before i flash. Even on the first ics leak there where issues when first dropped. I knew the risk when i went back to motorola and locked bootloaders. You just have to ask yourself. Do you want a phone that works better than the rest or a phone that runs bleeding edge android? I like motorola for the most reliability and HTC for unlocked bootloaders. Samsung has nice screens and thats it. The facts dont lie. To each his own...

#32 ssmaynv

ssmaynv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

If the price on the EU store is an indicator, they will do just that.

#33 perlmane

perlmane

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

I understand your frustration, but sammy phones feel cheap...moto needs to lighten up...hope the dev phones help them save face...if they don't rape us on them...

I own a Samsung Galaxy Note i717 on AT&T and fine it to be remarkable. Moto does build more substantial devices, but Samsung has figured it out. I have been able to go back and forth between Gingerbread and ICS with no problems. The screen quality is amazing. The battery, well that is why I have the Razr....

#34 perlmane

perlmane

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Actually the reality is you should have waited on the leak to be tested before jumping into it. I always wait at least a day or so before i flash. Even on the first ics leak there where issues when first dropped. I knew the risk when i went back to motorola and locked bootloaders. You just have to ask yourself. Do you want a phone that works better than the rest or a phone that runs bleeding edge android? I like motorola for the most reliability and HTC for unlocked bootloaders. Samsung has nice screens and thats it. The facts dont lie. To each his own...

Yes, I know I should have waited. I have already taken myself to the woodshed and beat myself up over this. Even so, thank you for piling on. I really needed it (LOL).

#35 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

Dev phones=identical phones with unlocked bootloaders. Wouldn't everything just be better if they unlocked ALL the bootloaders??

Sent from my who really cares?? Using NOBODY DOES!

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#36 footballbmb9

footballbmb9

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

So if I used matts utility to try to fastboot and it went past the failing of the cdt.bin (which is where you would have stopped if you had used RSD) would I be able to push the rest of the things that matts utility did when I ran it? like the system and webtop grfs.img to get back on the leak? Being stuck on the leak is far better than not having a razr at all...

#37 nailbomb3

nailbomb3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

You are correct, the .84 and the .85 leak have an updated bootloader. That's what is causing the issues with fastbooting.

So, that being said will we even be able to fasboot ICS OTA fastboot files once they are out?

#38 spollock

spollock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Twitter:@247HoldEm
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

So, that being said will we even be able to fasboot ICS OTA fastboot files once they are out?

It is my understanding that as long as the "Official" OTA uses the same bootloader then YES we should be able to fastboot files once they are released.
-Coming to you LIVE! from the 206th floor of the famous Hotel California!

#39 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

Dumb question...could these bricked phones be sent back to Motorola for a total wipe and reload for a fee? Why don't people do that?

#40 perlmane

perlmane

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Dumb question...could these bricked phones be sent back to Motorola for a total wipe and reload for a fee? Why don't people do that?

We knowingly and voluntarily voided the warrantee when we did this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ics, brick, fix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users