Photo

[How-To]UNIVERSAL Recovery and Root ANY {Unlocked Bootloader XT926 & XT907} Easy!

easy root universal root droid razr hd droid razr m unlocked bootloader custom recovery

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Ok, so you've got your bootloader unlocked, you were messing around with your ROM, you've recently updated to a patch system or who know's what you people do ( :p), you derp something up, and now you're unrooted and SOL!  Well, I'm gonna give you a rather simple, universal way to restore, re-flash recovery and re-root your phone without having to dig through all the different root methods (or lack thereof) to find the right one.

Ok, this is for intermediate/novice users only who have the basic understanding of ADB, Fastboot, RSD, Fastboot files, etc. If you don't know how to restore your phone to 100% clean stock with FB files on a command line yet, this MAY be too much to swallow. If you're a novice user or better, this may save you some time.

Ok, First Things First, Let's round up our files and get prepped.
Droid Razr HD Recoveries Unzip this file and place the folder on your desktop!

OR Droid Razr M Recoveries Unzip this file and place the folder on your desktop!

SuperSu Root Zip the latest can be found here. DO NOT unzip. Place this Zip on your SD card (pick one, I like external)

I'm assuming you have ADB/Fastboot installed on your computer and they are in your system path. PRO Tip: You need to replace the fastboot binary (from the AOSP SDK) with the Motorola specific ones in your C:\Android\SDK\Platform-Tools (or where ever you have it ) folder as it has the ability to split up larger images (such as system).

Ok, so I'm gonna assume you just used your method of preference for fastboot restoring your device OR you've just booted up on a newer system and lost root. So now you're unrooted, your recovery is now gone, your data is wiped, your system is restored to stock. Granted, you may have CWM or TWRP back-ups on your SD card, so that's good news, we can use them later to restore a safe point.

PRO TIP: If you're EVER LOOKING for Droid Razr M or Droid Razr HD fastboot files...err click those links. The Droid-Developers SBF repository has pretty much any Moto firmware you could EVER need

Ok, so here we are, virgin phone. Let's get it basically through the set up menu so we can turn on our Settings>Security>Unknown Sources and Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging. Now, plug your phone into your PC. (I am assuming you've got your Motorola Drivers as you would not be at this point.) Open up a Windows CMD prompt. We're gonna do a couple things: First, we will kill any older running ADB daemons, then we'll start a fresh one, then we will ensure your device is being recognized. So

adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices

It should show you the new daemon starting and also report a device ID upon the adb devices command. If there is NO ID displayed after the devices command, your computer is not recognizing your phone. Double check your phone's screen unlocked, the proper settings are set up from the steps above, that the wire is plugged in securely to both your computer and your phone and that you're drivers are installed (they should be if you were able to fastboot restore the device, but who knows?) Ok, so all's well? Let's move on.

Like mentioned above, I'm assuming you've already placed the SuperSu Zip onto your SD Card (if not, do so now)...Now we're going to reboot into the bootloader and get the recovery of your choosing flashed (I had you download them all up top, well pick one...make sure the zip you d/l from me is unzipped on your desktop and you've settled on which one you're gonna flash CWM or TWRP. So here we go...

adb reboot bootloader

Your device will now reboot into the bootloader. Once it does so and settles down, we will confirm that your computer is seeing your device:

fastboot devices

It SHOULD return a device ID #. If it does not, check your wire and your drivers again (this is rare if ADB is recognizing, but not impossible as fastboot has a seperate driver.) If all it well, let's flash the recovery of our choosing. In order to do this easily, we're going to type the first half of the command below then (using your mouse) DRAG the cwmrecovery.img or twrprecovery.img FROM the folder on your desktop TO the CMD window. There MUST be a space BEFORE it. Like this

fastboot flash recovery [now drag and drop your image of choice and hit enter]

It should respond by saying sending, writing and complete. Finally, we're going to reboot your device (just briefly). Now, using the power button. Power your device down. We are now going to boot directly into your freshly flashed recovery. DO NOT BOOT INTO ANDROID. Motorola has files (we'll address this later) that instantly overwrites your custom recovery. So you gotta be on your A-Game here. So hold power to turn device off. Then, hold Power, Vol + and Vol - to get into the bootloader selection menu. Quickly, use Vol - to highlight "Recovery "and Vol + to select it. TWRP or CWM will now boot up.

From here, use your already taught skills to install a zip form your SD card. You're going to choose the SuperSu.zip that you put on your SD much earlier. Browse to it, and flash it. When it's complete, go ahead and REBOOT your device...the recovery MAY or MAY NOT give you certain warnings depending on the recovery of choice (one may say, you're not rooted, shall we fix this? Or another may ask you if you want to overwrite a script, ALWAYS SAY YES, YES, YES!!We'll fix this later ANYWAY!

Once your device reboots from this first instance of recovery, you will be now rooted again! YAY!

Now, a few last steps! There is a possibility that your fresh new recovery DID NOT remove the weasel files on your phone that over-write your new recovery. (this is not a universal truth, but why mess with it?) You're rooted now, so it's very easy to fix. In all honest, the easiest method is to first download an app such as ES File Explorer or Root Browser. For this purpose, I find root browser to be simpler.

Open up either one of these explorer apps. Approve their Superuser permissions. You're going to now browse to 2 locations. Depending on what process you just did, one, both or neither of these files will be there, but you MUST check! GET RID OF THESE!:

Erase /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

and /system/recovery-from-boot.p

Get rid of em! No need! If you're the paranoid type, you can rename them to install-recovery.sh.bak and recovery-from-boot.p.bak (if it really makes you feel better).

Then (assuming you're phone is still plugged into your computer). We're gonna reboot back into fastboot mode ONE more time to be positive your recovery is safe and sound and hasn't been over-written by the most recent boot-up. So let's reboot to the bootloader.

adb reboot bootloader

Allow your phone to get into Fastboot mode. We'll ensure your device is recognized and then we will run the EXACT SAME PROCESS as above to reflash your recovery of your choice!

fastboot devices
fastboot flash recovery [now drag and drop your image of choice once more and hit enter]
fastboot continue

DONE!!

No more digging for the proper exploit method (or lack thereof) or anything like that. While this may seem harder at first, you will come to learn (as you become more comfortable with ADB and Fastboot) that this method of rooting is not only much simpler and faster, but also universal to ALL unlocked devices. This is the typical method for the Nexus devices. Now that your bootloader is unlocked, once you flash a custom recovery, these recoveries run with administrator permissions (as they run on their own kernel), so no matter what the case, if you're in custom recovery...all you need is that fancy little zip to regain root access, no more exploits!

Phew!

Thanks to Chianfire for the root.zip, Hashcode for the TWRP and CWM, mattlgroff for the CWM and the moto-fastboot binaries, djrbliss for the bootloader unlock and ME for being such a nice dude :p

• neckchop, geekabilly, ol`DXer and 8 others like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#2 megahertz1970

megahertz1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Google+:markw4itg@gmail.com
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:42 AM

Very nice tutorial TUCSTWO. It may come in handy some day. Thanks!

• tucstwo likes this

#3 hollovoid7

hollovoid7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for this! Only thing that was driving me nuts is I don't think my computer catches the phone fast enough, so I would keep rebooting into stock recovery. I found just shutting the phone off out of fast boot, and holding down the keys to get to the menu, and entering recovery that way was the only way I could make it stick. Then installing root and whatnot went off without a hitch. This is with the new OTA too.

#4 sk8ingdroid

sk8ingdroid

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr MAXXX HD

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

does this only work if youre on an unlocked bootloader?

#5 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

does this only work if youre on an unlocked bootloader?

Yes sir. However, you can root a locked bootloader with a Utility but you can install CWM or TWRP.

• sk8ingdroid likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#6 sk8ingdroid

sk8ingdroid

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

and i would need to be on 4.1.1 cuz i tried to root the latest ota .79 and it would work then ota rootkeeper and update then unlock bootloader or unlock bootloader before updating ?

thanks alot

#7 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Unlock the bootloader first!!! The latest update we believe blocks the unlock exploit. Also Root first. People have retained root through the update or needed a quick fix as long as they had BL unlock

• sk8ingdroid likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#8 sk8ingdroid

sk8ingdroid

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

thanks alot one more question im using rsd lite and i downloaded the xml but it says failed flashing process unknown fastboot command (getvar) when i run it 

#9 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

thanks alot one more question im using rsd lite and i downloaded the xml but it says failed flashing process unknown fastboot command (getvar) when i run it 

For rsd the file you should have is a fxz file

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#10 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

You can edit the xml file and remove all the GetVar command lines and run it again.

• Memnoch73 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#11 sk8ingdroid

sk8ingdroid

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

i tried deleting the get var i would get failed on 5/27 phone returned fail .

im stuck i need an fxz if anyone has one. or any way to get to 4.1.1 

#12 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

i tried deleting the get var i would get failed on 5/27 phone returned fail .

im stuck i need an fxz if anyone has one. or any way to get to 4.1.1 

Okay wait... Are you on the latest OS version that came out last week?? If not there is a root method to root 4.1.2 in the HD Dev section. You cannot roll back with a locked bootloader. That is why rsd is failing.

• sk8ingdroid likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#13 sk8ingdroid

sk8ingdroid

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Okay wait... Are you on the latest OS version that came out last week?? If not there is a root method to root 4.1.2 in the HD Dev section. You cannot roll back with a locked bootloader. That is why rsd is failing.

Oh OK yah i didn't know there was a new update from last week so I did update it to that I guess so I'm screwed for now lol is there any way out BTW the ota was 9.18.79 thanks a lot I guess I'll stay stock until something is figured out

#14 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

Oh OK yah i didn't know there was a new update from last week so I did update it to that I guess so I'm screwed for now lol is there any way out BTW the ota was 9.18.79 thanks a lot I guess I'll stay stock until something is figured out

Nope. Once you're on this latest update, if you weren't unlocked prior there's no way around it. Sorry

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#15 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Update. Turns out there is a method that someone can test out if they want to gain root on this latest system even if locked.

Check out the last page on the Motochopper root thread. There's instructions. I'd like to know if anyone has any success.

#16 Beanerman

Beanerman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Current Device(s):RazrM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Awsome

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#17 crewser1989

crewser1989

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hey guys.

First off, thanks for the wealth of information you all have provided.  It is a lot to pour over and I plan on doing my best to do so and understand as much of it as possible but I wanted to thank all you contributors for your hard work.

So my question is...if I had used motochopper to root my phone can I still use this method to re-root it?  My worry is that I didn't explicitly unlock the device per the bootloader methods.  Also, I had yet to flash anything to it yet...as I was still getting a foothold into all of this stuff.  I am not sure if that is pertinent.

Any responses would be appreciated...until then I will be milling through the forum.  Thanks for helping out this nooblet!

Cheers.

#18 Someolddude

Someolddude

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid razer m DOA :( New phone Samsung note 3 :)

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

Hey guys.

First off, thanks for the wealth of information you all have provided.  It is a lot to pour over and I plan on doing my best to do so and understand as much of it as possible but I wanted to thank all you contributors for your hard work.

So my question is...if I had used motochopper to root my phone can I still use this method to re-root it?  My worry is that I didn't explicitly unlock the device per the bootloader methods.  Also, I had yet to flash anything to it yet...as I was still getting a foothold into all of this stuff.  I am not sure if that is pertinent.

Any responses would be appreciated...until then I will be milling through the forum.  Thanks for helping out this nooblet!

Cheers.

Read post 15

#19 himemsys

himemsys

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Beatiful Man, My phone is rooted, very very good. Thank you a lot.

#20 Tulkas

Tulkas

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

I would like to thank Tucstwo for the work posting this tutorial. It was very clear, even a completely ignorant beginner such as myself was able to follow the steps.

One question, what is the source of these recovery images? Cwmrecovery.img, motorecovery.img, twrprecovery.img? (I realize only one would be applied).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: easy root, universal root, droid razr hd, droid razr m, unlocked bootloader, custom recovery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users