22 replies to this topic

#1 ddodge68

ddodge68

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa, USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

I cannot get my GPS to lock on anymore....no matter what ROM I'm using.  I've even tried the safestrap stock slot.  Still no luck.  I've tried wiping cache and fixing permission....still nothing.  Does anyone have any suggestions that might help?  I travel for work, and GPS is extremely important to me.

Thanks....

#2 timpohladthomas

timpohladthomas

OSE DEVELOPER

• Developer
  • 1,428 posts
  • Twitter:@timpohladthomas
  • Current Device(s):MOTO X

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

I cannot get my GPS to lock on anymore....no matter what ROM I'm using. I've even tried the safestrap stock slot. Still no luck. I've tried wiping cache and fixing permission....still nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help? I travel for work, and GPS is extremely important to me.

Thanks....

Have you tried download GPS status from the play store?

PDbEXCr.png

Thank Zoo/Owain for my Awesome Sig! If you want to support the Build Server that helps keep OSE going, Click HERE!

#3 ddodge68

ddodge68

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa, USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Have you tried download GPS status from the play store?

Thanks for the quick reply. I had not tried that, but now have. It's not finding a single satellite. Still no GPS lock.

#4 timpohladthomas

timpohladthomas

OSE DEVELOPER

• Developer
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I had not tried that, but now have. It's not finding a single satellite. Still no GPS lock.

Go into settings and make sure it has downloaded agps data.

PDbEXCr.png

Thank Zoo/Owain for my Awesome Sig! If you want to support the Build Server that helps keep OSE going, Click HERE!

#5 androidlearner

androidlearner

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Try doing a backup then restore of the stock GPS using titanium backup (or whichever app you use). I was having the same issue and it fixed it for me.

Sent from my XT912 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

• timpohladthomas likes this

#6 ddodge68

ddodge68

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa, USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

Go into settings and make sure it has downloaded agps data.

I'm unsure where I find out if it downloaded the data, but when I press the "download" button, I get a message back that says it has been downloaded.

#7 timpohladthomas

timpohladthomas

OSE DEVELOPER

• Developer
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Try doing a backup then restore of the stock GPS using titanium backup (or whichever app you use). I was having the same issue and it fixed it for me.

What he said is the other option.

PDbEXCr.png

#8 ddodge68

ddodge68

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa, USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Please forgive my ignorance, but where do I find the "stock GPS"?

#9 timpohladthomas

timpohladthomas

OSE DEVELOPER

• Developer
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Please forgive my ignorance, but where do I find the "stock GPS"?

He means restore the stock ROM. Then get a lock. There is one that I have posted on a thread here if you don't have a backup.

PDbEXCr.png

#10 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 64GB, RAZR HD Maxx

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

This is may or may not gonna fix your problem but its worth trying before you restore or reset your rom

Go to Settings
Scroll to "Accounts" Section
Select google
Go to location settings
Enable location

This is a shot in the dark but sometimes the easy thing works. :)

#11 ddodge68

ddodge68

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa, USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

He means restore the stock ROM. Then get a lock. There is one that I have posted on a thread here if you don't have a backup.

Could you possibly link me to that thread, so I make sure I get the right file?  Thanks a ton for the help!!!

#12 ddodge68

ddodge68

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa, USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

This is may or may not gonna fix your problem but its worth trying before you restore or reset your rom

Go to Settings
Scroll to "Accounts" Section
Select google
Go to location settings
Enable location

This is a shot in the dark but sometimes the easy thing works. :)

It was already enabled, but it was a good idea to check. I do notice that when I click on the Google account, it says there is a "sync error" and a note at the bottom that says "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."

#13 ddodge68

ddodge68

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa, USA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:26 PM   Best Answer

Well, I did SBF back to stock, and re-rooted.  That solved the problem.  Working great for me now.  Thanks for all of the advice.

#14 just1ce

just1ce

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCyprus

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

Well, I did SBF back to stock, and re-rooted.  That solved the problem.  Working great for me now.  Thanks for all of the advice.

Hi ddodge68,  could you share please how you did the SBF?

I was desperate to find that post from androidlearner with stock GPS backup but faild.

I'm expiriencing the same problem with my xt912 running 165 atm.

I get back to 16 with Matt's utility with no lack.

GPS Test is showing some GPS and GLONASS satellites, but can't lock them (I believe that's because the signal isn't strong enought - stays in yellow zone).

I'm was about to re-asseble the body or re-flash the RADIO module if I coudn't find the way before I found your post. 

Cheers, Max

#15 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

This thread is over 2 years old and the person you asked hasn't been online here in over a year.  The only thing I have heard with older phones like yours is to flash the jb factory image get a good lock and then flash the rom you want to use.  Sounds strange but it works. I only go as far back as the xt-926 myself.  There are threads here that talk about gps locks and roms.

#16 just1ce

just1ce

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCyprus

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:34 AM

Thank you spainter,

That's clear, and I applied jb factory image down to 16 from my 165.

Didn't help.

btw some user files in the root folder have not been deleted despite flash and wipe. I don't know how to wipe all data (factory -w etc. doesn't really work as expected.. House of Moto, RSD , Safestrap wipe doesn't matter)

I just tried to figure out what SBF here means. I was thinking if it is the BF SBF Flash somehow can be used to really RESET this phone.

But seems it won't happen. Seadly I hardly need GPS and xt912 compleately serve my needs, so I simply don't need any upgrade so far (at lease until IGZO will be everywere).

And with this gentle update from Moto (lenovo) to 165 I lost it :(

Cheers, Max

#17 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:02 AM

Thank you spainter,

That's clear, and I applied jb factory image down to 16 from my 165.

Didn't help.

btw some user files in the root folder have not been deleted despite flash and wipe. I don't know how to wipe all data (factory -w etc. doesn't really work as expected.. House of Moto, RSD , Safestrap wipe doesn't matter)

I just tried to figure out what SBF here means. I was thinking if it is the BF SBF Flash somehow can be used to really RESET this phone.

But seems it won't happen. Seadly I hardly need GPS and xt912 compleately serve my needs, so I simply don't need any upgrade so far (at lease until IGZO will be everywere).

And with this gentle update from Moto (lenovo) to 165 I lost it :(

Cheers, Max

SBF was the extention for the factory firmware files They have changed to zip and the newest are coming out in tgz.

Doing a factory data reset from stock recovery should clear out all user data.

#18 just1ce

just1ce

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCyprus

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:35 AM

I'm confused then...

Can you advise pelase, when I'm flashing any of these two files :

cdma_spyder_9.8.2O-72_VZW-16_1ff.xml.zip

VRZ_XT912_9.8.2O-72_VZW-16-5_CFC.xml.zip

via RDS, Matt's utility or House of Moto  -  does it really means SBF or not ?

Many thanks, Max

#19 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

I'm confused then...

Can you advise pelase, when I'm flashing any of these two files :

cdma_spyder_9.8.2O-72_VZW-16_1ff.xml.zip

VRZ_XT912_9.8.2O-72_VZW-16-5_CFC.xml.zip

via RDS, Matt's utility or House of Moto  -  does it really means SBF or not ?

Many thanks, Max

They are both what was refered to as sbf. The old update file format had a sbf extention.  Now to really confuse you the files you have listed are using the next format refered to as a fxz and have the zip extention.  The newest format that are used in 2013 - 2014 phones and newer have a tgz extention. Most of the difference is the compression used and folder structure used inside the compressed file.  They all contain the .img, .bin, etc files. House of moto handles the differences in the scripting. House of moto with a few exceptions will uncompress the files for you and will write the flashing instructions. Where RSD needs to have the file uncompressed and must contain the xml file that contains the flashing instructions.

#20 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:15 AM

Mats utility hasn't been updated in quite a while. While still relevent on some older phones and firmware use with caution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users