Photo

Verizon Will End Unlimited Data Grandfathering If You Buy A 4G Phone From This Summer Onward

verizon 4g unlimited

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 mugsy77

mugsy77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

From post here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Verizon Wireless will no longer be allowing customers on a grandfathered unlimited data plan to upgrade to a 4G LTE smartphone when the carrier launches its

in mid-summer. Executive Vice President and CFO Fran Shammo announced the news during an investors conference this morning. "LTE is our anchor point for data share, so as you come through an upgrade cycle and you upgrade in the future, you will have to go onto the data share plan, moving away from the unlimited world," he said. "So when you think about our 3G base — a lot of our 3G base is unlimited — as they start to migrate into 4G, they will have to come off of unlimited and go into the data share plan, and that's beneficial for us for many reasons, obviously."

Unlimited data is a concept that has been

for some time now, and

decision to no longer honor the plans with LTE-capable devices will only expedite the process. AT&T continues to honor grandfathered unlimited plans for 4G upgrades, and Sprint remains the lone major carrier that still allows new customers to sign up for the privilege. Verizon had already been making a clear distinction between LTE and its legacy 3G network,

exclusively to those shopping for an 4G-capable handset.

As you'd expect, Shammo touts the upcoming offerings as a better option for consumers and businesses alike. "If I can add as many devices as I want and share that data plan, that's a lot more efficient from a family share perspective, from a small business perspective," he said. "There is a large ramp of devices out there that, especially when you think about families, they're not connecting those devices because the incremental costs in the model we have today. And I think going forward, we're going to make it easier for folks to connect devices."
The full conference can be streamed at the source below, and Shammo reveals the impending death of unlimited data for LTE customers at around the 10:30 mark.

#2 mugsy77

mugsy77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

This is fn wrong... I don't want to wait on new phone release during/after summer only to rick losing my unlimited. Your thoughts folks?

#3 FutureBear

FutureBear

Flying Spaghetti Savior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

I won't be upgrading then. Just buy the phone outright from the manufacturer.
  • mattlgroff likes this

#4 money mike

money mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

I won't be upgrading then. Just buy the phone outright from the manufacturer.

I've been told you will also lose unlimited once your current contract is up so that won't help. I'm not ready to give up on vzw yet. I'll wait to see the family share pricing. If i don't like it then this gives me a reason for the first time in about 10 years to switch carriers. I at least have until late 2013 with unlimited data.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#5 chavist

chavist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Upgrade prior to the date, as it stands the Razr maxx is extremely cheap. I don't really see what else a phone can do in six months or a year that they can't do now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#6 mach1man

mach1man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

what if you have already upgraded then they can't ungrandfather you then right?

#7 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Will this only effect going from 3g to 4g, ie if we have 4g phones will we keep unlimited. Unlimited data is honestly the only reason im with vzw. If i lose it they lose me and my 5 phone lines with unlimited data and my 2 tabs all on service with vzw. Really disapointing.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
  • fastfoodfred likes this

Posted Image

#8 money mike

money mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

Basically everyone will lose unlimited data eventually. Whether it's due to upgrading or current contacts running out. I'm not sure what hidden writing is in their contracts either. It may be written somewhere that they can take away your unlimited data at anytime... We will see soon it looks like.

#9 DrNoob

DrNoob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'm leaving Verizon when that happens!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  • kb3awq likes this

#10 mugsy77

mugsy77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Going to get a MAXX and give my wife my .84 razr. Going to get confirmation from local manager this upgrade won't fux up anything on my grandfathered unlimited data.

#11 mach1man

mach1man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

Yea I have 6 lines and 2 are grandfathered in for unlimited data and we both just upgraded to 4g phones :D I like going through phones every 6 months so I take the other upgrades and then switch it to my line, Hopefully I can avoid losing my unlimited. I wont be to upset if I lose it as long as I get 4GB at $30 bc I hardly go over 2GB.

#12 joeyx2

joeyx2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

Well I've been thinking about going to sprint. Guess this will push me over the edge. Unlimited data is the only reason I'm still with Verizon now. Is there some kinda petition we can start and post it on every site that has anything to do with Verizon. Sometimes they seem to work.

#13 mach1man

mach1man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Well I've been thinking about going to sprint. Guess this will push me over the edge. Unlimited data is the only reason I'm still with Verizon now. Is there some kinda petition we can start and post it on every site that has anything to do with Verizon. Sometimes they seem to work.

Before you hop to another network you should really check the coverage area between the 2. I have thought about swapping but then I look at the coverage map and my friends dropping calls on sprint and at&t so I'll stick with big red. Plus I live in a rural area and we are getting 4G soon which is far better than the others here

#14 mugsy77

mugsy77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

If you have a 4g phone now, upgrading to another 4g *should* not effect grandfathered unlimited data. Though Verizon could change this at any time. Don't forget, Verizon is pushing 4g only cells, so upgrading any cell that is 3g summer time or after will force either their line or everybody on your family's data plan to limited from what I see.

#15 bryan77

bryan77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

What will the cap be for a shared data plan? We have unlimited now but its really capped at 4gig/month. Me personally use less than 2gig a month and my wife is less than 1gig and I'm paying 60 bucks a month for that. I use wifi at work and at home, so if I can get a better monthly rate for 2 smartphones, i don't see the problem.
I mean come on! Its a cell phone. If i need to download large files i use wifi.
I Don't use my phone as an ISP for my home.

• phispher likes this

#16 joeyx2

joeyx2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

I was definitely gonna check the coverage area first. Anyone know when this will kick into effect or is it already in affect. I do have a upgrade near the end of the year and if I can get into a 2 year contract before it takes affect that would be sweet.

#17 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

Also cant you get hotspot and unlimited data for like 30 more a month? Will this go away also?

I am :ph34r: fear my blade!

Posted Image

#18 JimmyInTheROC

JimmyInTheROC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

As much as I dislike this, it's necessary. There's a major wireless-spectrum war coming, and the carriers are trying to get some kind of control over demand. There's people on here that can explain this far better than I can, but knowing that this isn't "completely" corporate greed makes me feel a little better about it.

#19 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

I dont see how its NEEDED, but you may know smthin i dont. They have already done away with adding new unlimited service. I could deal with a higher price for unl if i upgrade or contract ends, but just vanishing......

I am :ph34r: fear my blade!

Posted Image

#20 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

As per the quote from Verizon's CFO. I still think this is just for current 3G users upgrading to a 4G device.

And before anyone starts mentioning Sprint, they throttle too so it's not unlimited.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users