• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jpm

jpm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm running rooted .173 with some bloatware uninstalled (but backed up via Titanium). I restored what I thought was all the missing bloat but I may be missing something. When I run the .181 update from the OTA download, it goes about 1/4 of the way along the yellow progress bar before I get the triangle sign with the ! in it and the phone reboots. No text on the screen to indicate what its getting hung up on.

Is there a log file somewhere to show where the failure occurred?

And is there an easy way to restore the missing bloat WITHOUT wiping out all of my settings/screens/personalizations like would happen with a factory reset?

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Not likely man. You're gonna have to use Matt's utility to flash back to stock .173 then grab the .181 OTA

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Not likely man. You're gonna have to use Matt's utility to flash back to stock .173 then grab the .181 OTA

^Exactly right.

#4 jpm

jpm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

That's what I figured. :-(

I'm surprised there isn't a log file buried somewhere in there that shows the update progress and where it crapped out.

I remember on my last phone, Samsung Charge, it would have a brief text display on the screen with the ! sign before it rebooted and you could figure out what you were missing from that.

#5 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

That's what I figured. :-(

I'm surprised there isn't a log file buried somewhere in there that shows the update progress and where it crapped out.

I remember on my last phone, Samsung Charge, it would have a brief text display on the screen with the ! sign before it rebooted and you could figure out what you were missing from that.

That's bc Sammy actually likes their devs.... :'(

[ Courtesy of Hotel California ]
[ sent from _base2 ]

#6 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Cant he just do the 744 rsd and ota all way to 181. It dosent completely wipe. Although im not sure if would restore all he needed. Worth a shot though.

Did you remove cwm or safestrap

I am :ph34r: fear my blade!

Posted Image

#7 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Oh and you can take a look at what the script checks for and if its not in your system or preinstall you can pretty much assume that caused the fail.

The system apps (where bloat is) is usually toward the beginning of the check asserts of the script. Otherwise you can just not worry about it and backup your crap and fastboot back using Matt's utility...

[ sent from _base2 ]

#8 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

Cant he just do the 744 rsd and ota all way to 181. It dosent completely wipe. Although im not sure if would restore all he needed. Worth a shot though.

Hmm... not sure. i only have used Matt's but if it doesn't completely wipe then I doubt it will add in all the correct bloatware. Right?

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#9 jpm

jpm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Yeah I've got 2 or 3 items that won't restore from the Titanium backup which I suspect are the hangup, Magic Smoke wallpaper, Facebook Authenticator, YouTube Authenticator. It just hangs saying restoring when I try to restore them. Did everything else just fine in about a second or two but no luck on these after numerous reboots and attempts. They were all backed up at the same time too and in the same place.

#10 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Just bite the bullet and wipe man... You're gonna have to to get the ICS OTA anyway...

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#11 jpm

jpm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

Nope, just bloatware apps.

#12 jpm

jpm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

Just bite the bullet and wipe man... You're gonna have to to get the ICS OTA anyway...

Yeah that's the problem, otherwise I'd just ignore the .181 since everything works just fine now. Maybe I'll just put off the pain till ICS actually drops.

#13 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

The 744 rsd is full rsd minus the wipe so you keep all apps n user data. ( think it leaves data) def leaves apps. I would try that first. And which ever way you go. As soon as you get on 181 and rooted make a stock backup, before you freeze anything or make any changes. That way next time you will just restore nano, remove bootstrap, unroot and ota.

Posted Image

#14 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

I have never wiped going to ics and never had a prob.

Posted Image

#15 jpm

jpm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

The 744 rsd is full rsd minus the wipe so you keep all apps n user data. ( think it leaves data) def leaves apps. I would try that first. And which ever way you go. As soon as you get on 181 and rooted make a stock backup, before you freeze anything or make any changes. That way next time you will just restore nano, remove bootstrap, unroot and ota.

Thanks! I may give that a shot first.

The thing that drives me crazy is I DID do a full backup before I removed anything! As soon as I was rooted, I ran Titanium in batch and did a full backup of all apps and system data to my SD card which I've never removed. Been doing that since my second android phone to avoid these kinds of issues. Now I'm pissed that Titanium won't restore the very things I backed up in the first place for this very scenario. Maybe I need a different backup app since this one doesn't seem reliable. Is there another anyone recommends?

#16 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

I am fear my blade!

Me neither... I was already on stock 181 for awhile when 84 came out... good thing I was OK considering I had a false sense of fastboot security.... lol

[ sent from _base2 ]

#17 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thanks! I may give that a shot first.

The thing that drives me crazy is I DID do a full backup before I removed anything! As soon as I was rooted, I ran Titanium in batch and did a full backup of all apps and system data to my SD card which I've never removed. Been doing that since my second android phone to avoid these kinds of issues. Now I'm pissed that Titanium won't restore the very things I backed up in the first place for this very scenario. Maybe I need a different backup app since this one doesn't seem reliable. Is there another anyone recommends?

Titanium is a great app, but batch anything other than backup can bring major errors. I would backup in clockwork. Clear cache and backup. This will take a complete pic of your system and data, so when you restore its exactly as it was

Posted Image

#18 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Yes but you did not go to ICS thru an OTA update such as he is trying to do now with .181

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#19 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

Yes but you did not go to ICS thru an OTA update such as he is trying to do now with .181

I sorta did. I loaded mine via the cheeze.

Posted Image

#20 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

I sorta did. I loaded mine via the cheeze.

Okay man I ain't trying to argue with you I'm just saying if he is having problems with the .181 update he will still have the same problems with ICS and most likely will not be solved unless he wipes. Especially since he is going from GB to ICS. It's really just good etiquette to wipe. Sure some people have no problems but most people do. Same is true for changing roms.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users