• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 LaurelRaven

LaurelRaven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

Okay, so this may be a biased forum to ask, but I thought, what the hell?

I currently own a Bionic, and I found I need a second phone as an emergency only phone. I was waiting to use my upgrade for the next moto phone, but since I need a second one, I was thinking of getting a MAXX HD and making it my primary and switching my Bionic to be my emergency phone, then upgrade that one when the next phone I want comes out.

Does anyone know of any reason I should know about to go for something else? Or does my plan seem good?

RTFM is Known to the State of California to Cause Cancer.

#2 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

Okay, so this may be a biased forum to ask, but I thought, what the hell?

I currently own a Bionic, and I found I need a second phone as an emergency only phone. I was waiting to use my upgrade for the next moto phone, but since I need a second one, I was thinking of getting a MAXX HD and making it my primary and switching my Bionic to be my emergency phone, then upgrade that one when the next phone I want comes out.

Does anyone know of any reason I should know about to go for something else? Or does my plan seem good?

I would skip the HD and get the S4. Personal preference though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• jl90 likes this

#3 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 64GB, RAZR HD Maxx

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

S4 will be my next phone. from what I've seen and read it's superior to the HD maxx. 3 people who's opinions I really respect in here just got them and love them! ;)
  • rickw and usmcamgrimm like this

#4 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:52 AM

S4 will be my next phone. from what I've seen and read it's superior to the HD maxx. 3 people who's opinions I really respect in here just got them and love them! ;)

ME TOO,lol

• jl90 likes this

#5 LaurelRaven

LaurelRaven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:06 AM

I'll take a closer look at the S4, but I'm REALLY not a fan of Samsung or Touchwiz, at all. I'm also not a fan of cheap feeling and looking plastic, which seems to be what they like to put on their phones. That being said, maybe I'm being too harsh; I'll check it out.

Any other opinions?

#6 mamawm

mamawm

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Google+:martha holcomb
  • Locationnortheast mississippi
  • Current Device(s):moto xpe 2015

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

your plan sounds rock solid to me. especially if you will still have an upgrade to use later. my husband has the hd maxx and it's great phone, i've no doubt that he will be satisfied for the next couple of years. that said, i just upgraded my bionic to the dna and i love it. i was going to check out the htc one when it hits verizon but there isn't a huge increase in specs from the dna and i got the dna free from best buy a few weeks ago.  it's currently 49.95 at verizon, but best buy has raised the price back up. i'm like you, don't care for samsung or touchwiz.     

#7 prstorero

prstorero

SuperThemerDevGuy

• Developer
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

I didn't care for TW or Samsung when i decided to bite the bullet. I will say that it's been a nice change (all my previous smart phones were moto). The battery definitely will not last as long as a maxx HD, unless you're like me and slap a 5200 mAh battery in it lmao. I went two days with about 10 hours of screen time before it died. I'm still not really a fan of the plastic build quality either, but since i want to keep the phone pristine, it always has a case on it, so what's it matter, right? I also have a glass screen protector (again, keeping it pristine), and the thing is amazing. It feels like there's nothing on there (as opposed to the usual static ones that you can get). There is also GED (Google edition) software that you can run with a few minor bugs (no data bars when on LTE (yes you still have an LTE connection) and a screwed up carrier label)). There's also plenty of AOSP based ROMs and a TW based one just released by Nitro that's AOSP themed for the best of both worlds. So even if you get the phone, you don't have to run TW on it. So far I've been really happy with it and haven't looked back. With it being my first quad core device, it's amazing. Also if you run the GED software on it, it will be the first time you can say an android is truly as smooth as an IOS device, the performance is unmatched. If you have any questions regarding it, let me know.

• jl90 likes this

#8 LaurelRaven

LaurelRaven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

Okay, I decided to give the S4 a try after looking through the reviews and specs. Getting it from Costco, I have 90 days to change my mind and switch to the razr, or really anything I want.

Just got it today, and while I'm still not fond of touchwiz, the phone itself is so far fantastic. The screen is nearly perfect, and I love how slim and light it is. I wish they had gone with a slightly nicer finish on the back, especially since this one picks up fingerprints like crazy, but I can live with it.

Let's see if I decide to stick with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk HD

#9 evocop

evocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Twitter:floydaccess

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:54 AM

Motorola will be releasing 4 new phones soon

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#10 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

Motorola will be releasing 4 new phones soon

Not 4 different phones. X-FON will be released to the 4 major carriers.

#11 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:dunttt
  • Google+:jon36m@gmail.com
  • LocationChicago IL
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

The Motorola Ultra, Ultra Maxx, M, and X-FON are all coming from what I've read recently. That would make it four actually :-)
Here's a link

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#12 sublime

sublime

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

Seems like they are all nothing to get excited about though. The safe choice is the s4 I'm holding out for a note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• jl90 likes this

#13 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Guess motos policy is to be Apple now? Lol

#14 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Rumored to have a 5″ 1080p display and run a Snapdragon 800 processor with 2GB of RAM. Sounds good to me If true. I will still wait though as my HD is serving me just fine .:-)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#15 evocop

evocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Twitter:floydaccess

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

False.... the four phones are the DROID Ultra, DROID MaXX, Xfon, and DROID Ultra Mini. Follow android authority and @evleaks on twitter

#16 hollovoid7

hollovoid7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:09 AM

I don't think I will buy another phone that doesn't have this kind of battery life.. or a phone with samsung radios and plasticky build, My wife had a s3, and I had a galaxy nexus, and both were pretty tough devices to deal with, If you actually wanted to use them you had to stay very close to a charger, and the build quality of the nexus was abysmal, I went through 4 of them, only time I have ever had to go through replacements like that. They could not hold a signal at all compared to the Razr HD, maybe the s4 is different, but I am scarred from a rash of sammys, and probably wont try them out again for a good while. My opinion though obviously, and ymmv. 

#17 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

False.... the four phones are the DROID Ultra, DROID MaXX, Xfon, and DROID Ultra Mini. Follow android authority and @evleaks on twitter

Yeah that was established 3 posts before yours.......

• jl90 likes this

#18 LaurelRaven

LaurelRaven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

I decided to give the s4 a try, and I'm honestly impressed so far. If something comes out I like better, or I just find myself not liking it, I have 90 days to change my mind.

#19 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 64GB, RAZR HD Maxx

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

I decided to give the s4 a try, and I'm honestly impressed so far. If something comes out I like better, or I just find myself not liking it, I have 90 days to change my mind.

Good thing about buying stuff at Costco is the return policy!
  • LaurelRaven likes this

#20 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Good thing about buying stuff at Costco is the return policy!

You can cancel contract All the way up to the 90th day ? Or just be able to exchange phone models? I know Verizon is 14 days when purchasing everything else. Does Costcos return policy override th entire contract or just the new phone itself can be switched?
This would be the best way to try out a new carrier if the contract can be reversed all the way to day 89.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users