Photo

Soak OTA's 9.18.79/9.20.1 Directly Correlated to "MR2/MR4" or 9.16.6 - 9.16.9 [Discussion/Brain-Storming]

The Solution?

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#101 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Hence why I'm jumping ship. Dan himself said "start buying unlocked devices if you care about root". Now you see why. He's said that as he finds and publishes these exploits and they get patched, it just makes it harder and harder each time. Diminishing returns. I also see the writing on the wall for VZW devices (not just Moto...Samsung VZW devices are not having a happy time right now since Loki just got shot in the head by their latest OTA). Tough times now and impossible times ahead. WE need to take control back. If we want root, if we want custom roms, we have to be willing to put up the cash to buy an unlocked phone. Even if it's a cheaper Nexus. That also gives us control back over our contracts. I'm not going to be locked in on AT&T...instead going monthly.

How do u go monthly on Att?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#102 megahertz1970

megahertz1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Google+:markw4itg@gmail.com
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

OK so my questions are.... Is it worth it to flash back to stock to take the update? If I flash the DST version backup back onto my phone do I keep the benefits? Or will it rewrite everything?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Can anyone answer this? 2nd time I'm posting.

#103 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

How do u go monthly on Att?

Sent from my Nexus 7

You BYOD.  ;)  No contract if you're not subsidizing.  :)

Non potest esse nisi unus

#104 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

If the dst contains a radio then all benefits of this update will be over written.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#105 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

You will keep the radios even with a custom rom.  So yea, it's worth at least flashing those.

#106 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

If the dst contains a radio then all benefits of this update will be over written.

Or you know, this... :D

#107 megahertz1970

megahertz1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Google+:markw4itg@gmail.com
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

OK thanks tucs. I'm not sure if it has the radios or not. I'm referring to the DST with mods posted on here in the ROMS section by mhouse33. Is it even worth it to take the update?

#108 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Device(s):S6 (sm-g920f), Moto XT1575(waiting)

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

I have a pretty strong feeling that this OTA marks the beginning of the end for Motorola/Vzw development.

Unless moto gets a set, or vzw backs off... I doubt we'll see any newer phones rooted, unlocked and not see any further unlocking /rooting to the HD / M.

Obviously if there was more than one person on the planet capable and trying to perform these roots and unlocks, it wouldn't look slow glum. But sadly, as far back as I can remember.... There's really only one guy who does(did) it, and we know how that's ended.

This actually reminds me of something I read a few months ago, as I was looking around for Moto X rumors.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Which basically what the trend could possibly be is that Verizon will (rumor) be offering Unlocked bootloaders at montly fee of $15pm. It's interesting that this article came out back in January and it is so close to being accurate. Which I have to wonder not whether development will be ending on Motorola devices, but are we going to have to pay more for what we want? I mean if it is $15 a month which for 12 months that's an extra $180 a year (not including tax) on top of the already retail cost of the device that will most likely not be covered insurance anyhow. Any thoughts? -and I didn't mean to take this off topic.

If you like this signature click on the Marvel logo this one is from Thor: The Dark World-> copy the html link to your signature in my settings-> Enjoy!

#109 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

This actually reminds me of something I read a few months ago, as I was looking around for Moto X rumors.

Which basically what the trend could possibly be is that Verizon will (rumor) be offering Unlocked bootloaders at montly fee of $15pm. It's interesting that this article came out back in January and it is so close to being accurate. Which I have to wonder not whether development will be ending on Motorola devices, but are we going to have to pay more for what we want? I mean if it is $15 a month which for 12 months that's an extra $180 a year (not including tax) on top of the already retail cost of the device that will most likely not be covered insurance anyhow. Any thoughts? -and I didn't mean to take this off topic.

That article is reposted moot from sargentmajord.  The 15 dollar a month thing was only something VZW was considering not something they were putting into actions for sure.  It looks like in the months since that VZW has been getting more rigid about locking stuff down.  There's the developer devices and that's about it.  They aren't even allowing GPE devices for crying out loud.  This is why I'm bailing.

• KaChow likes this

#110 bjoostema1933

bjoostema1933

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Razr HD Maxx /Nexus 7

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Hey guys,

I downloaded the new update and got a "failed to install update" when I rebooted.  I save root via voodoo and have an unlocked bootloader.  Even though it said fail, I have the new radio and version number.  Should I pursue it until I get no fail message or leave well enough alone since, to all appearances, the update worked minus the message?

#111 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

No, you're good.

#112 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

For the RAZR HD folks in the house:

• shane1 likes this

#113 bjoostema1933

bjoostema1933

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Razr HD Maxx /Nexus 7

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Awesome, and thanks for the reply buddy! I respect the hell out of you for helping everyone out so much with this matter.
  • SamuriHL and DeJaVu74 like this

#114 marleyinoc

marleyinoc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Twitter:marleyinoc
  • Google+:+RicCrockett
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 and Bionic on WiFi

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

You BYOD. ;) No contract if you're not subsidizing. :)

I'm on ATT on my nexus 7 and switching phone eventually. I'll be byod but the frustration of it to me is that while not locked into contract I'll be be irked that the monthly price has some cost built in to pay for subsidized phone... So not being locked in only benefits me by hopefully getting carriers attention and also maybe down road someone else offers better deal and I can switch on the spot. Someone that has same quality gsm service in area. Umm. Ouch. Maybe in a few years.

Still doing it because sick of being verizoned.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• SamuriHL likes this

__________________sent from my bionic with dub_________________

#115 Pearlmikejam

Pearlmikejam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

I just got off the phone with Motorola. I was asking about my issues not receiving all text messages. They claimed I should have received the 9.20.1 update. When I told them I got the 9.18.79 update, they asked for my phone number again and told me my phone was rooted. They claimed I received the 9.18.79 because my phone was rooted.

This came from advanced support. When I pressed further asking questions about how updates can be applied to a rooted phone, I was put on hold and later told OTAs can be applied to rooted devices. No further explanation was given.

That said, is anyone else surprised that Motorola knows this about my phone? Did anyone that is rooted get the 9.20.1 update?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

#116 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

I call BS on that one.
  • DeJaVu74 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#117 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Like we've determined with almost like certainly, newer phones were pushed a different update. I'm not sure it matters that they know you're rooted or whatever, I wouldn't care about it. But they may be right, you may want to revert back and flash the other update.

#118 Pearlmikejam

Pearlmikejam

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

Like we've determined with almost like certainly, newer phones were pushed a different update. I'm not sure it matters that they know you're rooted or whatever, I wouldn't care about it. But they may be right, you may want to revert back and flash the other update.

I did revert and the update pushed was the 18.79. I do not trust the explanation about the update, but was surprised they knew I was rooted.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

#119 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Device(s):S6 (sm-g920f), Moto XT1575(waiting)

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

I wouldn't say that I am surprised they knew I was Rooted. Take a look for yourself>

enter ##PROGRAM     hit call>

at the Enter SPC password >

scroll down to 15 "Device Rooting" >Rooted

No surprise here

Surprised it doesn"t say "Unlocked"

• exsquid likes this

If you like this signature click on the Marvel logo this one is from Thor: The Dark World-> copy the html link to your signature in my settings-> Enjoy!

#120 DeJaVu74

DeJaVu74

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Current Device(s):Moto Xoom(wifi), Droid Razr HD

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Write I knew they could tell if you had unlocked the bootloader on the consumer editions, but I was under the impression the device had to be in hand. Nice to know you just have to call Moto for them to know you have root. maybe they can see the phone ultimately run better that way also....

End of Line.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users