20 replies to this topic

#1 lwreigel

lwreigel

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

I have tried to root my razr m but have not been successful. I am new to rooting and may not understand everything, but I have followed the directions exactly. Any advice or pointers on where I've gone wrong? Maybe someone can tell me another way to try.... Thanks!

#2 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

We need a couple of things here. What did you use to try to root?  What update are you on?  Is your bootloader unlocked? 

R. Long: Pixel 5

#3 lwreigel

lwreigel

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

I used motofail2go and also motochopper. Not sure what you mean by update...my phone is jellybean 4.1.2. Is that what you mean? And I don't know about bootloader. I'm very new to this so I don't know everything.

#4 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Have you taken the latest update that was sent by Verizon? 

#5 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 64GB, RAZR HD Maxx

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:42 AM

Motochopper works. I used it on my friends m to root. You have to make sure your device drivers are installed and up to date and that your using the charging/data cable that came with the phone! That is very important. :)

#6 npalomo

npalomo

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSacramento
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR M, Motoactv, Sony Tablet S

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'm having the same problem after taking the latest OTA update from Verizon on my Razr M. Neither motochopper nor motofail2go work now. :-/ My bootloader is locked and I'm running Jelly Bean 4.1.2.

#7 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'm having the same problem after taking the latest OTA update from Verizon on my Razr M. Neither motochopper nor motofail2go work now. :-/ My bootloader is locked and I'm running Jelly Bean 4.1.2.

This has been reported on numerous times.  If you're not unlocked, you're SOL, until they come out with a new exploit.  The update patches the unlock and root exploits.

• brandon71 likes this

#8 lwreigel

lwreigel

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

How do I know if I have the latest update from verizon?  And how do I know if my bootloader is locked or unlocked? 

#9 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

How do I know if I have the latest update from verizon?  And how do I know if my bootloader is locked or unlocked? 

Have you received an update notification in the last few days?  If you are the original owner of this phone, you would know whether or not it's unlocked because you would have run the Motopocalypse utility.  If you're not the original owner, you can boot into the fastboot menu and it will say locked or unlocked.  If it says unlocked, your bootloader is unlocked. 

• neckchop and jl90 like this

#10 akmjolnir

akmjolnir

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Current Device(s):XT907

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

This has been reported on numerous times.  If you're not unlocked, you're SOL, until they come out with a new exploit.  The update patches the unlock and root exploits.

FNG here, and new to rooting, ROMs, etc... and just updated my XT907 this morning before spending all day trying to root this phone.  Idiot...

#11 romma1

romma1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr M

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

It happens. It would appear that my coworker who got his phone two days ago, took the update... It was NIB.... I just need to get some expert help about flashing a stock recovery onto his phone at least through fastboot I guess. Right now there is no recovery.

The phone is rooted at least, and maybe I can get some AOKP on there as well somehow.

#12 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

It happens. It would appear that my coworker who got his phone two days ago, took the update... It was NIB.... I just need to get some expert help about flashing a stock recovery onto his phone at least through fastboot I guess. Right now there is no recovery.

The phone is rooted at least, and maybe I can get some AOKP on there as well somehow.

How is there no stock recovery?  If he took the update, there's a recovery.  When you are in the the fasboot options menu, choose recovery.  When you choose recovery (and it's still stock), it will send you to a dead android.  In this menu hold vol- and tap vol+ to get into the stock recovery menu.  If the phone is brand new, there will be a recovery there.

As for AOKP on a locked bootloader, good luck.  You can try SafeStrap and install on slot 1, but I think anyone that has taken the update will have to use SafeStrap and the older SS compatible ROMs.

• neckchop likes this

#13 romma1

romma1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr M

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:54 AM

How is there no stock recovery?  If he took the update, there's a recovery.  When you are in the the fasboot options menu, choose recovery.  When you choose recovery (and it's still stock), it will send you to a dead android.  In this menu hold vol- and tap vol+ to get into the stock recovery menu.  If the phone is brand new, there will be a recovery there.

As for AOKP on a locked bootloader, good luck.  You can try SafeStrap and install on slot 1, but I think anyone that has taken the update will have to use SafeStrap and the older SS compatible ROMs.

ThanksRikkong, I will try this later. I did get the dead Android yesterday on his phone...

#14 lwreigel

lwreigel

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

My phone is locked and I've got the latest update. How do I unlock? From what I'm reading I'm out of luck and can't root....please tell me I'm wrong....

#15 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

You are out of luck with unlocking.  However, a few people have reported success in re-rooting.  Let me see if I can find a thread detailing how. 

Ok, it seems that you can FXZ back to the previous update, root it, then protect root with Voodoo.  Then, you install the update and let Voodoo restore root.  I can't confirm that this works, as I have an unlocked bootloader and haven't tried it out. 

Read post #14 in this thread:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#16 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

The update in that post had not installed 100% so the security had not been upgraded. I have a modified version of SamuriHL's script for the HD that I will be posting in a few hours that will walk you through rooting the M on the current OTA.
  • neckchop, bigv5150, RikRong and 1 other like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#17 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

You can find that 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#18 lwreigel

lwreigel

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

OK let me pick your brain for a minute.....I deleted a ton of pictures off my phone by accident. I am quite bugged by that. I have found a couple of apps that claim they can recover lost pictures/videos, but for the apps to work, my phone has to be rooted. That is why I am so gun-ho to root my phone because I really want to try those apps. Do you have any idea if I have a chance to recover those lost pictures? Both verizon and motorola say I'm out of luck, but that is an unacceptable answer to me. In my head, these are mini computers and those pictures are still somewhere. Any advice or ideas?

#19 bigv5150

bigv5150

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationDirty Jerzey
  • Current Device(s):Droid Maxx

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

I believe you are correct when you delete anything on a hard drive or SD card I believe it doesn't actually delete the files. It makes the space available to overwrite the files thus unprotecting them. I used this on a SD card in a camera and retrieved my pictures. One word of caution do not put anything on the SD card until you can do this or it will overwrite the pictures. You could get an adapter for your computer and use a computer to do this same procedure. Good luck.

#20 lwreigel

lwreigel

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

I believe you are correct when you delete anything on a hard drive or SD card I believe it doesn't actually delete the files. It makes the space available to overwrite the files thus unprotecting them. I used this on a SD card in a camera and retrieved my pictures. One word of caution do not put anything on the SD card until you can do this or it will overwrite the pictures. You could get an adapter for your computer and use a computer to do this same procedure. Good luck.

Thanks for the luck. :)  I have tried a few programs from my computer, but when I plugged in my phone into the computer, the phone isn't recogonized as an external memory device.  It is only recogonize as a phone.  I am so frustrated, but I am not giving up.  If anyone has done this and recovered lost pictures please help me.  They weren't on the SD card, but were on the phones internal memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users