20 replies to this topic

#1 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Has anyone on the 20X builds gotten the GSM support to work with an ATT or Tmobile SIM? I was tinkering with a friend's SIM today and it wouldn't take it or kick me to a screen asking for a SIM unlock code like it normally would. Just wondering if anyone had any different luck. (Note: this build "should" support it as it's in the network settings as GSM/UMTS). Rumor has it that the phone is already SIM unlocked and will just need a proper SIM from the appropriate carrier. I've only tested with a friend's ATT SIM that was cut down from a full SIM and might not have been making contact properly.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#2 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

I've been looking into this but as of now P3Droid and cellzealot think we are going to need some kind of unlock further from this for AT&T and T-Mobile. Maybe a chinese radio leak flashable to us or something similar would help.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#3 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

I've been looking into this but as of now P3Droid and cellzealot think we are going to need some kind of unlock further from this for AT&T and T-Mobile. Maybe a chinese radio leak flashable to us or something similar would help.

So I'm not the only one that's tinkered and failed at this point then.

Posted Image

#4 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

Its not going to work using a SIM from within the US until the gurus find the seem edit to unlock it like they did on the GB builds. VZW/Moto have never released a global device that directly allows you to swap SIM cards specially not within the US using a US carrier sim card. As an example back in the day even my unsecured Droid Pro needed to have an edit done to it to get the bands unlocked so a TM or AT&T sim would work in it and get service

#5 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

Its not going to work using a SIM from within the US until the gurus find the seem edit to unlock it like they did on the GB builds. VZW/Moto have never released a global device that directly allows you to swap SIM cards specially not within the US using a US carrier sim card.

Sure they do. You have always had to do a SIM unlock though. Finding the screen as you stated could be an issue but usually if you stick a wrong-provider SIM into a modern smartphone it automatically kicks you there if it's booted with it in the phone. This isn't the case with the RAZR but it was also rumored that these phones that would be receiving this feature would be pre-SIM unlocked and that it might not be a necessary step as they weren't hardware locked when they left the factory. I'm not positive on this but it is entirely possible as a SIM unlock is retained at the hardware level regardless of what software you flash/update/etc on the phone.

Posted Image

#6 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

A SIM unlock and the actual frequency bands being active are 2 different things tho when it comes to VZW devices with global access. So yeah ppl have always had to get the unlock code for the SIM slot but that does not mean you can just drop a TM or AT&T sim in it and it will work is what I meant. Reality is only time will tell once we see an official release. And I'll be very very surprised if we don't need another hack done to get SIM cards from carriers like TM or AT&T to work in the states as I've yet to have one where it is that simple. Mind you I haven't messed with it alot but on the few global device I have had and messed with it took more effort then an unlock code to get them working

#7 ka1z0ku

ka1z0ku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Maybe this will help?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#8 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

A SIM unlock and the actual frequency bands being active are 2 different things tho when it comes to VZW devices with global access. So yeah ppl have always had to get the unlock code for the SIM slot but that does not mean you can just drop a TM or AT&T sim in it and it will work is what I meant. Reality is only time will tell once we see an official release. And I'll be very very surprised if we don't need another hack done to get SIM cards from carriers like TM or AT&T to work in the states as I've yet to have one where it is that simple. Mind you I haven't messed with it alot but on the few global device I have had and messed with it took more effort then an unlock code to get them working

I'll defer to you as I have only done SIM unlocks on android devices that were already GSM but locked to their carrier and the other unlocks I have done were for global blackberry devices. In either case no additional hacking was necessary other than the SIM unlock. I can't imagine that they'd block ATT bands as those are the world compatible bands.

Posted Image

#9 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

I'll defer to you as I have only done SIM unlocks on android devices that were already GSM but locked to their carrier and the other unlocks I have done were for global blackberry devices. In either case no additional hacking was necessary other than the SIM unlock. I can't imagine that they'd block ATT bands as those are the world compatible bands.

Only time will tell I guess. FYI they did have AT&T blocked on my Droid PRO tho that I can tell you. And if memory serves me the FCC made them block those from wha tmy contact told me at the time where I got the unlock info from. And yeah r I finally got it hacked so I could use TM or AT&T sim cards in it. TM sucked tho as it will only get the Edge network, at least on AT&T you get HSPA for 3G service

#10 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

Maybe this will help?

That works perfectly as long as you are on GB software. Won't work on the new ICS leaks ppl are messing with.

#11 chuckboy1129

chuckboy1129

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Google+:chuckboy1129@gmail.com

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

Today i was messing with gsm with a sim from another carrier. It allowed me to choose usa band in gsm but it screwed up my data. i was not able to call or send text until i used the relock hack from xda

#12 geka

geka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Google+:gene.volchenko

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Maybe this will help?

Did you try to run .zip file? Did it wark? How to run the file from bootstrep recoverery?
Thanks

#13 P3Droid

P3Droid

Android Legend/ Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:P3Droid

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

As of right now, US based SIMS are not working. I have seen international, Canadian, and South American sims work in the Razr using new firmware but not even my dev phone which is able to have different regional radios can use stateside sims. Cell and myself are scouring the seems looking to see if there is a key that can be flipped to accomplish this tast but there are an awful lot of areas to look.
  • mattlgroff likes this

#14 MercMan007

MercMan007

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

Bump...

Any updates on this front? I'm dying to use my AT&T sim in this Razr.

#15 darkcypher6

darkcypher6

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:05 AM

I too am interested in getting our device unlocked. Willing to throw in some $$$ to help motivate :-)
Phone: Rooted VZW Droid RAZR on ICS Phone: Sprint Galaxy Nexus Watch: Motorola Motoactv

#16 shouldbeshroomin

shouldbeshroomin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

I would gladly donate to the further development on this! Ever since I unlocked the domestic GSM on my Sprint Photon, my fiance has been dying to have me do the same with his Razr.

#17 darkcypher6

darkcypher6

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

Guess we don't have any takers here. I did see on theunlockr that they say they can unlock the VZW XT912 but I'm skeptical. I still don't get why we can't have an unlocked bootloader and unlock our phones. I will never buy another CDMA phone. Maybe if HTC puts out a quad-core nexus like the rumors all point to I will cancel VZW and get that instead.

Just as an extra incentive, I will pay any dev that manages to unlock GSM bands for domestic use (i.e. T-mobile, AT&T) $100 via paypal.
Phone: Rooted VZW Droid RAZR on ICS Phone: Sprint Galaxy Nexus Watch: Motorola Motoactv

#18 ryan0720

ryan0720

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

I paid the money for unlock code for the CT 912 and they refunded me said there is no code....

#19 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

I paid the money for unlock code for the CT 912 and they refunded me said there is no code....

thats correct, there is no unlock code you can buy from anyone for the xt912

#20 shouldbeshroomin

shouldbeshroomin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

Why is this phone so different from Sprint's photon? I had one and it was a foreign radio hack that unlocked domestic gsm capability why is this one so much harder?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users