• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

OK weird thing here. Installed safe strap. Backed up. Rebootski but now my phone won't boot into the OS. Any ideas here? Pressing search does nothing and likewise letting it sit does nothing as well. I was on a rooted .79 ICS leak fyi.

Thanks.

Can you get back into Safestrap recovery? Did you have any other recovery installed (namely: bootstrap)?

#22 Trooper

Trooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yeah I can get back into safestrap recovery. No other recovery installed. I ended up just turning off safe system and booted back into the .79 ICS leak. Got me back up and running. Seems as if safestrap no likey my phone. Sucks as I wanted to try out a rom.

#23 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yeah I can get back into safestrap recovery. No other recovery installed. I ended up just turning off safe system and booted back into the .79 ICS leak. Got me back up and running. Seems as if safestrap no likey my phone. Sucks as I wanted to try out a rom.

Did you try flashing a ROM or did you simply backup the stock?

#24 Trooper

Trooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Did you try flashing a ROM or did you simply backup the stock?

I was going to flash a rom. At the time I had safe system enabled and did a backup. After performing the backup it would not boot into the OS. Safestrap menu would appear, and after that would just sit at a black screen.

#25 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

I was going to flash a rom. At the time I had safe system enabled and did a backup. After performing the backup it would not boot into the OS. Safestrap menu would appear, and after that would just sit at a black screen.

hmm... weird. I have no clue. Try fastbooting and re-doing guide. Sorry~ that's all I can say.

#26 Trooper

Trooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

No worries man. Will give it a go tomorrow if I have time. Thanks for the guide and your help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#27 nbeb143

nbeb143

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

It's great that you finally got it to work. I'm just wondering exactly what the issue was: were you not rooted before you tried the ICS install?

Yeah I was rooted and everything, it just woudln't load correctly. Not sure why. I rooted with the Utility and it didn't work. I rooted with the ICS installer and got it going. :wacko:

#28 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

To all those with issues: I'd like to think that I have simplified the guide today. I combined the rooting tools enclosed in Matt's Droid Razr Utility with the Icsinstaller; so now it is all in one batch file. Hopefully this minimizes issues, speeds up the process, and makes it simpler.

-b419kid

#29 Dr0idDR

Dr0idDR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hey man, great guide. Got everything running first try.
  • b419kid likes this

#30 opus264

opus264

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

Having the same issue. Restored to .181 using Matt's util then followed guide to the letter. Same as previous post also. If I disable safe mode it boots fine. First time using Safestrp... not loving it. Miss my Boostrspper...about to flash CM9, see if that helps.

#31 opus264

opus264

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

Well... flashing CM9 worked, Google restoring everything as I type. Don't know how Safestrap works, but if you enable safe system does it not then expect to find a ROM to boot from, and if you didn't flash one immediately after enabling, then it goes to black and hangs.... Just throwin stuff against the wall, see what sticks :P

#32 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

Each time I tested it, my flashes of CM9 and Koa worked. I always rebooted between enable of safe and flash of ROM. maybe that makes a difference? I dunno. Sounds like Safestrap "goes black" a lot. (might even be a safestrap glitch.) :/

#33 opus264

opus264

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

Each time I tested it, my flashes of CM9 and Koa worked. I always rebooted between enable of safe and flash of ROM. maybe that makes a difference? I dunno. Sounds like Safestrap "goes black" a lot. (might even be a safestrap glitch.) :/

yea I re-booted after enable safe too and as long as you go into recovery and flash a rom it seems to be fine. if you enable safe, re-boot, then just let it go, you get the black screen of death (little windows humor, couldn't resist)

#34 Dr0idDR

Dr0idDR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

yea I re-booted after enable safe too and as long as you go into recovery and flash a rom it seems to be fine. if you enable safe, re-boot, then just let it go, you get the black screen of death (little windows humor, couldn't resist)

Yeah if you enable the safe system, which is a partition and just go to reboot now, you'll get a black screen. There isn't a rom on the safe side yet. You have to flash the rom first then you'll be good.
Obviously you know that now, but just for those who are reading. B)

#35 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

Yeah if you enable the safe system, which is a partition and just go to reboot now, you'll get a black screen. There isn't a rom on the safe side yet. You have to flash the rom first then you'll be good.

Should I edit the directions to reflect this? or are they OK? (In the directions I always have users go back to recovery... so the black screen thing shouldn't matter, yes?)

#36 Dr0idDR

Dr0idDR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

Should I edit the directions to reflect this? or are they OK? (In the directions I always have users go back to recovery... so the black screen thing shouldn't matter, yes?)

The way I understand safestrap working and someone correct me if I'm wrong. There is an unsafe side (Main system on your phone) and a safe side (System partition that is safe to flash roms on). If they are going to just make a back up of the ics leak they are on, they would need to simply go to backup and restore and make a backup of the "unsafe side"

If they are actually going to flash a rom, they would need to go to the safe side and flash the rom they want. If they enable safe system and reboot, there technically isn't a rom on the "safe side" or system partition. There is nothing to boot to.

If you just want an ics leak with a backup, make one on the unsafe side and you have a backup.

If you want to flash a rom, enable safe system, then immediately flash the new rom. Then when you have your rom personalized the way you like it, go back into safestrap and make a new backup on the "safe side".

#37 opus264

opus264

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

it was a little confusing for me, mainly because i had never used safestrap. maybe just add a line stating that you should only enable safe system if you are going to flash a rom...

#38 opus264

opus264

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

thanks for confirming... thought that is how it works.

logic is everyone's friend :)

#39 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Just edited the guide so safestrap install, enable, and backup is in the ROM install section. Hopefully this clears things up.

#40 Dr0idDR

Dr0idDR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

thanks for confirming... thought that is how it works.

No worries I came for a Droid X and bootstrap that's what I was used to. I actually like safestrap better. If a rom messes up you just reboot and re-flash or restore. Don't have to deal with the soft brick issues when you're on the safe side. So it's really nice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ICS rom, CM9, 6.14.79, 6.14.79 Roms

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users