87 replies to this topic

#41 opus264

opus264

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

Just edited the guide so safestrap install, enable, and backup is in the ROM install section. Hopefully this clears things up.

Nice!! aside from that (which was really just my ignorance about safestrap) I found it to be an excellent guide.. very informative. Great Job!!

#42 opus264

opus264

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

No worries I came for a Droid X and bootstrap that's what I was used to. I actually like safestrap better. If a rom messes up you just reboot and re-flash or restore. Don't have to deal with the soft brick issues when you're on the safe side. So it's really nice.

this was only my second rom(CM9) flash and first ics leak. tried BW first, over my rooted .181 with bootstrap and cwm on boot, which essentially does the same thing as safestrap, but just more work. now that i know how it works i guess safestrap will grow on me...probably give KOA a try next.

#43 therookie

therookie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Google+:robertzpt7
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Alright well here goes nothing I'm sure to mess this up. O well wish me luck somebody log on later to calm me down before I air mail this thing lol. Thanks for the guide tho excellent job bud. Excellen

#44 therookie

therookie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Google+:robertzpt7
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hey is this Franco kernel updated do anything? I just down loaded titanium pro think I'm gonna get the titanium media sync as well as the ROM Manager Premium? What y'all think woth it or a waste of time and money.

#45 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hey is this Franco kernel updated do anything? I just down loaded titanium pro think I'm gonna get the titanium media sync as well as the ROM Manager Premium? What y'all think woth it or a waste of time and money.

Don't bother with the kernel. especially cause your going up to ICS. Furthermore, don't bother at all with ROM Manager. It doesn't work properly on the droid razr.

#46 vtwinbmx

vtwinbmx

Droid Elite

• Developer
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

I will say that bootstrap has been giving me issues with ics leak roms camera broken and weird boots. Went to safestrap to save me some headaches
  • b419kid likes this

vtc.png

#47 prmntxmanny

prmntxmanny

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Locationlos angeles ca

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

is this fastbootable back to GB?

#48 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

is this fastbootable back to GB?

Yes, sir, it is indeed. Chose this one to make a tutorial b/c I'm too scared to go to .206 myself lolz.
  • opus264 likes this

#49 callahanx

callahanx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Twitter:blcx
  • Google+:brandoncallahan30@gmail.com

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

I went to restore to to system 6.12.181 and in the cmd it reads "files\moto-fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Im not sure how to restore my system now? The phone works, but i want to be on the leak ICS.

Thanks for the help!

#50 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

I went to restore to to system 6.12.181 and in the cmd it reads "filesmoto-fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

That may error may be caused by removing the batch from the folder. Did you do this?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#51 jb_alphamale

jb_alphamale

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Here is my understanding on this. If you switch to unsafe side safestrap will restore the backup here and it also says that it backups the safe side but then if you switch back again from unsafe to safe it says that it restores this time the safe but when you boot you get blank screen so you have either to restore a nandroid of the safe side or reinstall the rom. Basically the only backup done by safestrap automatically is for the unsafe side. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The way I understand safestrap working and someone correct me if I'm wrong. There is an unsafe side (Main system on your phone) and a safe side (System partition that is safe to flash roms on). If they are going to just make a back up of the ics leak they are on, they would need to simply go to backup and restore and make a backup of the "unsafe side" If they are actually going to flash a rom, they would need to go to the safe side and flash the rom they want. If they enable safe system and reboot, there technically isn't a rom on the "safe side" or system partition. There is nothing to boot to. If you just want an ics leak with a backup, make one on the unsafe side and you have a backup. If you want to flash a rom, enable safe system, then immediately flash the new rom. Then when you have your rom personalized the way you like it, go back into safestrap and make a new backup on the "safe side".

#52 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Here is my understanding on this. If you switch to unsafe side safestrap will restore the backup here and it also says that it backups the safe side but then if you switch back again from unsafe to safe it says that it restores this time the safe but when you boot you get blank screen so you have either to restore a nandroid of the safe side or reinstall the rom. Basically the only backup done by safestrap automatically is for the unsafe side. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Partially correct. Here's how safestrap works from the first install.

You install the apk and the recovery, you boot into the recovery.

You enable safe system, as soon as you do this, safestrap makes sort of a nand backup for the original system. You can then format /system, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, flash a custom ROM.

When you disable safe system, it makes a sort of nand backup for whichever custom ROM you flashed on the safe system.
  • jb_alphamale likes this

#53 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

You are only partially right. At least that is not the way it is designed to work. When you swap non-safe -> safe or safe -> non-safe, Safestrap essentially makes a nandroid backup of the current /data partition and then wipes and restores the /data backup it made the last time you swapped. The non-safe /data backup is stored in /sdcard/safestrap/orig and the safe side backup is stored in /sdcard/safestrap/safe. If safestrap is not functioning this way, then there is something wrong with the install or, in many cases, there is not enough room on your internal storage to hold both backups. If you run out of space on your internal sdcard in the middle of a backup your /data will be screwed when you try to restore that mode again.

Or what Hicks said. I had typed too much to not post it when I saw his reply. :P
  • jb_alphamale likes this

#54 Sindrakes

Sindrakes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

Great guide, if no one has suggested yet i would add in BOLD letters... Recommended 70%+ battery life when fast booting..... in the restore process section.

#55 aluislugo

aluislugo

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

please help. I followed the guide and for some reason I can get past part A. I was able to store and root, but that's as far as I can get. evertime i select option 2, a bunch of lines scroll really fast and then nothing happens. Any suggestions? Thanks,

#56 DTrainMusikVein

DTrainMusikVein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Google+:donotippett21
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

I am also having trouble, I fastbooted .181 and now Im getting the stupid error 7 whenever I try to install .79 ICS Leak as per your instructions... I have deleted nothing and everything is stock...

Edit: Went the manual method way for ICS Leak upgrade and installed correctly. What a headache!

#57 BrewGuyTim

BrewGuyTim

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

Got through everything, but for some reason, I am not able to download Combo_ICS_Installer_0.1.rar. Anyone have an alternate link?

Thanks!

#58 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

Got through everything, but for some reason, I am not able to download Combo_ICS_Installer_0.1.rar. Anyone have an alternate link?

Thanks!

Firstly, you should be looking for the 0.3 version. Secondly, the download page requires an email so it can send you the direct link. Is that the problem you were having?

#59 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

I am also having trouble, I fastbooted .181 and now Im getting the stupid error 7 whenever I try to install .79 ICS Leak as per your instructions... I have deleted nothing and everything is stock...

I'm honestly not sure what the error is related to. You could try the manual method.

#60 b419kid

b419kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

please help. I followed the guide and for some reason I can get past part A. I was able to store and root, but that's as far as I can get. evertime i select option 2, a bunch of lines scroll really fast and then nothing happens. Any suggestions? Thanks,

I'll check it out. I heard of this happening before. Atm, not sure why that happens. You may choose to try the manual method in the mean time

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ICS rom, CM9, 6.14.79, 6.14.79 Roms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users