Photo

[Script/Utility] ROOT RAZR HD XT926 For LOCKED Devices On 9.18.79

Root fix root exploit Droid Razr HD Root Locked Bootloader root exploit root 9.18.79 root 9.20.1 utility

• Please log in to reply
628 replies to this topic

#101 motouser23

motouser23

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Does this tested method of unrooting Post- 9.18.79 locked phones wipe/clear the data of the phone?  For instance, will I lose all my apps, contacts, and other phone stored information?

#102 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Oh hell no.  I'd not be doing my job properly if it wiped your data.  :)  No, it keeps your data partition nicely in tact.

• shane1 and motouser23 like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#103 lysdexik

lysdexik

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Why does my stock recovery not find the 9.18 upgrade? I tried putting it on SDCARD0 & SDCARD1

#104 motouser23

motouser23

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Oh hell no.  I'd not be doing my job properly if it wiped your data.   :)  No, it keeps your data partition nicely in tact.

Nice! ...  Okay I'm going to try it!...   :)

• SamuriHL likes this

#105 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

Why does my stock recovery not find the 9.18 upgrade? I tried putting it on SDCARD0 & SDCARD1

Should be on SDCARD1.  Boot up the phone and use a file explorer (Root Explorer, ES File Explorer, etc) to verify the update is there.

#106 lysdexik

lysdexik

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

Should be on SDCARD1.  Boot up the phone and use a file explorer (Root Explorer, ES File Explorer, etc) to verify the update is there.

Well the moving of the file with the script failed with "Permission Denied" error so I downloaded it manually and placed it on SDCARD0 and then used Root Browser to move it to SDCARD1, however my phone just crashed in the middle of that process.

EDIT: I am trying to move it again I will let you know what happens

EDIT 2: Screen went blank and crashed again, not sure why??

EDIT 3: Maybe it is because I had the USB plugged in and Root Browser was fighting for control of the SDCARD. I am going to try it again with it unplugged and if that doesn't work then I will try it with a different root explorer program.

#107 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Good luck.  You can always pull the sdcard out and mount it on your PC if you have a card reader and copy it that way.

#108 lysdexik

lysdexik

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

Good luck.  You can always pull the sdcard out and mount it on your PC if you have a card reader and copy it that way.

Doh! I am an idiot. I took my SD card out last week and forgot to put it back in, no wonder!!

EDIT: The recovery is now seeing the file but for some reason when I go to install it.. it just says "Install /sdcard ..." for about 30 seconds and then shuts off. I am supposed to be flashing the 600+ mb file and not just the update right?

EDIT 2: Well I installed the update that came with your script package and it seems to be working.

#109 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

Step 5 is to install the UPDATE.  Should not be that big, so, that's why it's failing.  It should be the zip file in the UPGRADE directory.  Copy the right file and it should work.

#110 lysdexik

lysdexik

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

Step 5 is to install the UPDATE.  Should not be that big, so, that's why it's failing.  It should be the zip file in the UPGRADE directory.  Copy the right file and it should work.

Yeah I was just thrown off by the fact that the file is named "9.16.6"

#111 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

Version numbers on updates are the version it updates FROM, not to.  This has always been standard motorola naming standard since the dawn of time.

#112 lysdexik

lysdexik

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

Version numbers on updates are the version it updates FROM, not to.  This has always been standard motorola naming standard since the dawn of time.

Yeah, I forgot about that.

The good news is that everything worked perfectly once I got the steps in the right order. I will try and donate some money to you when I get my next paycheck.

• livinginkaos likes this

#113 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

You'll find that to be difficult.  :)  I don't do these things for money. I do them to help out the community when I can.  No donation necessary.

• livinginkaos and shane1 like this

#114 d_222

d_222

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

I just want to say thanks to all the kind and talented contributors here.  I've been enjoying my rooted Razr Maxx HD on 9.16.6 XT926 for quite a while and would like to upgrade to resolve the txt message delivery confirmation bug on Verizon's LTE network.  My device downloaded the 9.18.79 update and I've been postponing installation because I didn't want to chance losing root.  I initially used Matt's utility to root ICS and Voodoo Rootkeeper in the subsequent upgrades to my current version.  Voodoo is currently protecting root.

I don't recall unlocking the bootloader (how do I check?) on my phone because I had no intention of loading ROMs but I would like to do so now (since the door will close after this update) and retain root after installing 9.18.79.  What are the most efficient steps to take in this scenario?  I am seeking clarification since most of these instructions apply to those that had locked bootloaders and may not have preserved root before the applying the update.

#115 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Please stop what you're doing.  :)  If you are pre-79 you should seriously consider unlocking with motoapocalypse before doing anything else.  There will not ever be another opportunity once you take the update.  Please weigh your options carefully.  If you unlock, you'll never lose root as it's super simple to flash it in TWRP or CWM.

#116 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

P.S. To check the status, boot into AP Fastboot mode.  Hold power down and press power on with the phone off.

#117 d_222

d_222

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for that advice and prompt response.  I accessed AP Fastboot and saw "Device is LOCKED, Status:0" so I downloaded Dan's unlocking tool directly from his blog and will follow those directions to unlock my phone (permanently blowing the Qfuse and voiding warranty).  My goal is to then update to the official 9.18.79 update and retain root without losing any data.  Can you advise or point me in the direction of how I should proceed after successfully unlocking the bootloader?

I am likely stating the obvious regarding the Qfuse and warranty but I just thought it might help those who might not be aware.  I appreciate the help I have received here and would like to assist others along the way if I can.

• livinginkaos likes this

#118 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Twitter:1shane15
  • Google+:shanebarone1@gmail.com (gtalk/hangouts)
  • Locationny
  • Current Device(s):Gen 2 Moto X,2015 Moto X Pure,N9, N7,& N6

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

after unlocking install twrp then if you choose to update you just reinstall twrp and it asks if you want to restore root swipe yes

install twrp after the update i forgot it wont update on a custom recovery lol make sure its unlocked though

Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#119 crepiduse

crepiduse

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

So,   I just got my Maxx HD from verizon..... Tried to root it and failed.... Researched and found this thread.  

1.  The all in one setup is awesome.   I used to dev and helped create the LG Ally root back when I had it...  So this makes me happy.

2.  This method worked for a phone that just arrived to me from verizon with the update installed by them,  so I had no control over waiting to update.

3.   I would like to thank all of those involved and hope to one day be able to unlock the bootloader of my Maxx HD,  but I have stopped digging for bugs also, so I know its unlikely.

Thanks again and yes,  it worked,  yes all of my data is safe and still on my phone!!!!

• livinginkaos and shane1 like this

#120 d_222

d_222

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

I successfully unlocked my bootloader and used Voodoo to temp unroot before installing 9.18.79.  Voodoo restored root after the OTA update.

The Droid Razr Maxx HD is not listed as a supported device on the official TWRP site but I located a recovery flash utility that appears to include TWRP 2.6 for the Razr HD.  I found one resource that said it was necessary to delete or rename 'system/etc/install-recovery.sh' prior to flashing the TWRP image (to prevent reinstallation of stock recovery) but found no reference to this anywhere else.  Can anyone confirm if this is necessary?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Root fix, root exploit, Droid Razr HD, Root, Locked Bootloader, root, exploit, root 9.18.79, root 9.20.1, utility

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users