Photo

Next Gen Motorola Devices-Opinions

Front Page Poll

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Poll: Next-Gen Motorola Devices! (107 member(s) have cast votes)

Which, if any, of these Next-Gen Moto devices interest you? Multi Choice Allowed

1. Moto X (47 votes [31.97%])

Percentage of vote: 31.97%

2. Droid Ulta (14 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. Droid Mini (6 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

4. Droid Maxx (42 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

5. None, jumping ship to the competition (15 votes [10.20%])

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

6. Voted None, keeping my current device (23 votes [15.65%])

Percentage of vote: 15.65%

If we knew these devices could be bootloader unlocked, how inclined are you to purchase your choice?

1. Very Much So (60 votes [56.07%])

Percentage of vote: 56.07%

2. Only On an Upgrade (14 votes [13.08%])

Percentage of vote: 13.08%

3. Eh, maybe (19 votes [17.76%])

Percentage of vote: 17.76%

4. Don't Care Either Way (8 votes [7.48%])

Percentage of vote: 7.48%

5. Voted Not interested in another Moto (Blasphemy!) (6 votes [5.61%])

Percentage of vote: 5.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 DirtyDroidX

DirtyDroidX

The Enigma

• Superuser
  • 60 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pennsylvania
  • Current Device(s):Note 2, Note 8.0, Nexus 7

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Yeah...right up until the moment you walk into a building and you drop your first call...

Maybe your not familiar with how GSM and other radio bands work. I've been on GSM for a while now and have never dropped one call. My ATT service is great in my area, including a 200 mile radius. Not to mention the flexibility of GSM is just one of many perks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

#62 Oaklands

Oaklands

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

Our area between Knoxville and the Tri-Cities of TN leaves you with a choice of Verizon (best coverage) and AT&T (2nd best coverage).  I have considered Samsung phones in the past, but every time someone comes to my house with one they have trouble getting a phone signal.  I must live right at the fringe of 2 towers.  My wife has an HD and I have Razr Maxx.  We can always get a signal when others cannot.  I do bounce between 4g/3g a bit and can loose reception all together if I go to the basement.

For this reason alone, I have stuck with Motorola phones.  My business requires me to go to a lot of areas in small towns and fringe areas.  My Verizon/Motorola combo has always gotten me the best service.  Bottom line for my use is the phone has to be usable as a phone first and bells and whistles have to be secondary. 

I wish Motorola came with an easy way to unlock bootloaders as I rather run custom ROMS over standard ones.  For now, my Razr Maxx will have to suffice.  The one other feature that will keep me using this phone is my lapdock.  It really comes in handy if I am driving down the road and a customer needs me to log into their computer for remote support.  I can just pull off the road, put my phone in the lapdock, fire up LogMeIn and help them.  It is a bit easier to do this than to tether my tablet.

• johnthehillbilly and rebretz000 like this

#63 MrFrankRazr

MrFrankRazr

Dedicated Supporter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Twitter:@MrFrankReyna
  • Google+:frankreyna
  • LocationSoCal, USA
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 on VZW

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'll be switching from OG Razr to HTC One next pay period.

Moved on to the LG G2 on VZW and lovin it!

#64 greek6486

greek6486

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Twitter:@greek6486
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:28 AM

Just switched to a gs4 from RAZR Maxx and got a mophie case so now I have a 5200mah battery and a phone that makes me wonder why I even considered Motorola anything. My phone controls all my televisions with an app Samsung gives you...not to mention I get the exact same reception and its way faster. So much good about this phone, I highly recommend it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

#65 rebretz000

rebretz000

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationJohnstown, PA
  • Current Device(s):Huawei Nexus 6P, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:32 AM

doesn't the 5200 battery make it feel like a brick in your pocket though?

I'm using an S4 right now until it sales and I'm not getting as good of reception as I had with my RAZR HD. At this moment I'm streaming music and it keeps having data hiccups. Like a cd skipping.

In my opinion is seems like Samsung spends more time focusing on gimmicks than the build quality or reliability.

• tucstwo likes this

#66 greek6486

greek6486

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Twitter:@greek6486
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:46 AM

Actually its not that thick or heavy and the material is very comfortable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

#67 skeevy420

skeevy420

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHot Springs, AR
  • Current Device(s):Atrix HD

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

I'll be sticking with my Atrix HD for the time being.  No micro SD support is why.  My two main uses for my phone (other than as a phone :p) are mp3 player and hdmi>tv game emulation -- both of which take up lots of space.  USB-OTG isn't a viable option because the USB port can't be used to charge and read a memory stick (unless you use some sort of adapter -- pita for music in a truck...). 

Spec wise, other than the extra co processors and gpu, almost the same as the RAZR/Atrix HD's.

Also, we're currently unlocked and have awesome devs.  The way things are going we'll be using the X/Ultra kernel source, proprietarites, etc in the moto-msm8960 custom roms; meaning our current phones will be X's and Ultra's w/o the updated gpu or co-processors.

• rebretz000 likes this

#68 rebretz000

rebretz000

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationJohnstown, PA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

I have a feeling we won't see the Developer Editions of the Moto X until Tuesday September 3rd. That would be 10 days I think since Moto VP guy said the Dev Editions were days away.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

#69 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

I have a feeling we won't see the Developer Editions of the Moto X until Tuesday September 3rd. That would be 10 days I think since Moto VP guy said the Dev Editions were days away.

Im personally more interested in a potential Google Play edition rather than a Dev edition...let's see where that goes though?

BTW, Sept 3rd is my B-day if anyone feels like buyin me a Dev X :p

• sparky697 and rebretz000 like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#70 rebretz000

rebretz000

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationJohnstown, PA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

I thought there wasn't any GPE Moto X's

#71 rebretz000

rebretz000

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationJohnstown, PA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Would be nice except being on Verizon

#72 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

It's rumored that the international and TMo X will be sold on the Google Play Store. Doesn't mean that's it's GPE though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#73 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Device(s):S6 (sm-g920f), Moto XT1575(waiting)

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

I've heard an "official rumor" no quoted source yet, but on another forum that Sept. 4th the Moto X is going to be getting 4.3. What do you guys think of that? 

If you like this signature click on the Marvel logo this one is from Thor: The Dark World-> copy the html link to your signature in my settings-> Enjoy!

#74 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

I've heard an "official rumor" no quoted source yet, but on another forum that Sept. 4th the Moto X is going to be getting 4.3. What do you guys think of that?

The X will follow the same pattern as OG RAZR and Bionic. Will take forever.

• KaChow likes this

#75 marleyinoc

marleyinoc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Twitter:marleyinoc
  • Google+:+RicCrockett
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 and Bionic on WiFi

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

So far the new Moto has done what it said it would. Updated select devices to JB. Stopped pushing a device of the month out. Went for a unique product that they would stand behind and update. (I sort of made that up since I can't remember exactly what Punit said). Whether they update the X in timely fashion (and latest droids since they're so similar) is like step 4 of 4 that they would be nailing. I'm underwhelmed by the X still, but the pessimism, even after they've done what they said they'd do (and was advocated for by many) is sort of overwhelming :) No offense to anyone because I'm not replying to anything anyone in this thread said directly. Just overall I feel like they've been doing what they said and folks haven't acknowledged that. IMO is all. ;) Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 4

__________________sent from my bionic with dub_________________

#76 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

So far the new Moto has done what it said it would. Updated select devices to JB. Stopped pushing a device of the month out. Went for a unique product that they would stand behind and update. (I sort of made that up since I can't remember exactly what Punit said). Whether they update the X in timely fashion (and latest droids since they're so similar) is like step 4 of 4 that they would be nailing.I'm underwhelmed by the X still, but the pessimism, even after they've done what they said they'd do (and was advocated for by many) is sort of overwhelming :)No offense to anyone because I'm not replying to anything anyone in this thread said directly. Just overall I feel like they've been doing what they said and folks haven't acknowledged that. IMO is all. ;)Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 4

Not a single Motorola phone with an msm8960 has JB 4.2 yet. They're still will within their support windows.

The X is only the 3rd phone Motorola has ever released with an unlockable bootloader...(OG Droid, Photon Q, Moto X)

They just released the Droid Maxx, the Droid Ultra and the X all in the same month. Where's my Droid X Ultra Maxx in the next month or 2?

It's not pessimism to me, it's looking at Motorola's track record.

What has Motorola said they would do and delivered on in the past few months? Nothing comes to my mind.

#77 sparky697

sparky697

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Twitter:sparky697

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

Honestly who cares about 4.3? It's 5.0 that's gonna matter to me. The X should have shipped with 4.3 in my opinion.

#78 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Honestly who cares about 4.3? It's 5.0 that's gonna matter to me. The X should have shipped with 4.3 in my opinion.

Yeah, imo jelly bean's right about run out its tenure. Time for something new.

And byte, the Droid Razr HD and Droid Razr M also had (official) unlockable bootloaders.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#79 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Device(s):S6 (sm-g920f), Moto XT1575(waiting)

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

Some very excellent points that are brought up here in this discusion, I'm however on board with Bytecodeme. IMO: Motorola has turned into a killjoy, the new Droid line should include "grave plots with headstones" outlining where Droid began and where it ended. To me Moto X is a different device and it is clear to see how

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. Motorola is going into a different direction and I'm actually happy to see that it is clearly excluded from the Droid line and that it has a factory unlockable bootloader, which that I think says a lot. I happen to think we are going to see a trend where Motorola devices are going to be appearing more and more on other carriers going forward, and breaking away from Verizon. Of course no one at Motorola right now has any kahunas big enough to announce anything of importance of what direction Motorola is heading. But, also at the same time I don't think Motorola is going to be a big competitor with the High End devices, they are going to compete at the above average range with their devices and if they do anything High End, I think they will incorporate with other Manufacturers, like the recent Nexus 5 LG/Motorola rumors. I think Motorola's goal is to take out Apple, not to compete with Premium Android devices. The easiest way to knock-down a Giant is to "sweep the legs." As for me I would rather a Premium device where Development will always exist.

Of course this is all speculation, but at the same time Motorola is not stepping it up, we know what they have. With the rumor I mentioned yesterday about JB 4.3 OTA, I think Verizon is doing this because of the ability to Unlock the Bootloader. Interesting that Verizon would put 4.3 on Moto X, while "their greatest Droid line" is still running 4.2. Certainly, does make sense, looking at the link above Verizon clearly puts the Moto X down, it's like the Device that they don't want to offer, but are contracted and required to.

If you like this signature click on the Marvel logo this one is from Thor: The Dark World-> copy the html link to your signature in my settings-> Enjoy!

#80 rebretz000

rebretz000

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationJohnstown, PA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

I think that the Moto X could end up with a decent sized development community size it will be on all major carriers. Hopefully at least as big as the S3 was when I had one. Had a couple kernels and a nice selections of ROMs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Front Page Poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users