23 replies to this topic

#1 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

[NOTE: the removable SD Card is NOT in the mix, because I'm not using it for anything these days, and I'm only storing photos on the internal storage. That's

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

.]

I wasn't sure what to name this thread, but I tried...

I am having a very odd thing happen while looking at files (in this case, .jpg photos, but that's irrelevant) on the internal storage of my Maxx HD.

This morning, I decided it was time to move some of the photos from my phone over to my Windows computer (like I always do on a regular basis).

Now, sometimes I use Wifi (when I'm sitting down in the LR watching TV or something), and sometimes I use USB (seems a bit faster when I'm connected directly). This time, I used the USB connection.

At the time that I went to start the process this morning, I had photos on there from this month as well as July and even some still left from June (I waited longer between  moves this time around).

My first task was to move the June items. So, I selected them all in Windows Explorer and dragged and dropped them to the local folder (as I have done many times before).

This time though, when it got almost finished, the interface (the Explorer window where I was doing the transfer) sort of froze. The progress bar stopped. Nothing else happened except for the notice in the title bar that let me know it was 'Not Responding...'.

Now, I'm an IT guy.....so, I've obviously seen this kind of thing before, but in the context of dragging and dropping files from an Android to a Windows system, I'm not exactly sure if I really understand all of the things that could go wrong.

Here's the really odd part...
Eventually, when it was still stuck in the same place after taking a shower, I decided to just crash Windows Explorer and disconnect the phone.

I looked on the phone (using 'Files'), and all of the June photos were gone (thinking they probably all successfully transferred and there was just some kind of glitch in Windows Explorer that didn't allow the UI to catch up with that fact or something like that.

However, once I reconnected the phone to the computer, and went in to look at the directory that way (again, from Windows Explorer), the June files showed up.

To verify, I actually opened some of them, and sure enough, they actually opened.

When I disconnected the phone again, and looked in the same directory directly, locally, they are still not showing up.

For further verification, when I got to work this morning, I connected the phone to my work PC, and same thing.....they don't show up locally in 'Files' on the phone, but they do show up in Windows Explorer on the big computer (that just to say, it's not like there is something wrong with indows that's making it show incorrectly).

So, it seems like the files are still on the phone, but the phone's UI just isn't showing them to me in the 'Files' app.

Any idea what's actually going on here?
Any suggestions for what to do next to remedy the situation?

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

Whew... that was an exhausting read man.  :p

Move your files to the PC and then format your internal SD card and move the files back. You should be good after that. Probably just something goofy going on with your SD.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

haha :lol: sorry.....I'm detail-oriented.....I don't know how else to communicate.

Is there a better way of moving/copying files from/to the internal SD Card than either Wifi or USB?
...rather, a better app to do it with (I know those are the only real choices as far as media are concerned, because I assume Bluetooth wouldn't be any better)?

Currently, I use the ES File Explorer app on my phone to move things around over Wifi.

#4 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

I would go USB

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#5 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

OK, thanks.
In light of the bonk that I just experienced (which resulted in the creation of this thread), I'm a bit leary of using that method, but since it's faster, it's probably how I will do it.

#6 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:13 AM

Well, I tried, but as soon as I started copying the first little batch of folders (~615 MB worth), it bonked on me. It started out by saying it had like 3 minutes remaining, but after a couple minutes, it went to 35 minutes, and then eventually it gave me an error message that said,
"Error Copying File or Folder
The requested value cannot be determined.
"

So, I guess I won't really be able to get everything copied/moved off from the internal storage, and I will have to go at it one little piece at a time (thought this first bunch was a pretty small piece :lol: ).

[noob-alert!]

By the way, how do I format the internal storage?
Sorry. I've done the removable one, but just not sure how to do the internal.

I have Safestrap (made a backup just this morning).
Can I use it to forma the internal storage?

#7 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

When you plug in via USB, the easiest way to copy the entire internal (or external) .... is hit start then computer when you find the "drives" simply right click and select copy .... then paste to a convenient place on PC ...... this should copy the entire storage (including hidden files) ......

As far as formatting internal ... you can do it via windoze (right click on "drive" choose format).... or via menu/system settings/storage on your phone......

You can do it thru safestrap also but I personally have found that it is more thorough to use the built in menus on the phone :)

"... try not... do or do not! .... there is no try ... "

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#8 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

When you plug in via USB, the easiest way to copy the entire internal (or external) .... is hit start then computer when you find the "drives" simply right click and select copy .... then paste to a convenient place on PC ...... this should copy the entire storage (including hidden files) ......

As far as formatting internal ... you can do it via windoze (right click on "drive" choose format).... or via menu/system settings/storage on your phone......

You can do it thru safestrap also but I personally have found that it is more thorough to use the built in menus on the phone :)

Thanks.
I will give the copy/paste option you mentioned a try to get a copy of the internal storage via Windows.

As for formatting the internal storage, I'm sorry if I'm just missing it somehow, but I don't see that option at all when I go into
Menu
System Settings
Storage

Also, I looked in the user manual and did a bunch of google-foo, and came up empty.
Is this just something that's maybe not possible on this model without doing a complete factory reset (and will that even do it?)?

#9 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

A factory reset won't format storage(s).... it only formats /data and /cache ..... And it could be listed as "erase internal storage" under menu/system settings/storage...... you may have go wait until it loads your usage stats before its available..... then scroll down, it should be there :) "... try not... do or do not! .... there is no try ... "

jhf.png

#10 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

A factory reset won't format storage(s).... it only formats /data and /cache ..... And it could be listed as "erase internal storage" under menu/system settings/storage...... you may have go wait until it loads your usage stats before its available..... then scroll down, it should be there :) "... try not... do or do not! .... there is no try ... "

That's what I thought on FDR.

As for 'erase internal', it's not there.
Are we talking about the same phone? I'm on a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD, and that setting/option does not exist on the screen we're talking about here. It does list an option to erase the removable storage (specifically, "Erase SD Card"), but that's not what I'm looking for.

Is there an app I can install that will enable me to format the internal storage in a way that would be consistent with your concerns about getting it done the right way?

EDIT: By the way, no, I am not able to format the internal (or external, for that matter) storage from within Windows Explorer. When I right-click on either, the only thing I get is a menu with three options, and none of them has anything to do with erasing or formating the storage location.

#11 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

What options are you getting when you right click in windows?

jhf.png

#12 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

What options are you getting when you right click in windows?

Open
Open in new window
Pin to Start
Properties

#13 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Ok.... the format option should be under properties..... :)

"... try not... do! or do not! .... there is no try ... "

jhf.png

#14 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Ok.... the format option should be under properties..... :)

I am not sure what "should be" means.
Is it there on your Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD?
It's not on mine.

#15 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

As far as that its not the device, it windows ..... if windows is seeing your internal and external as desperate "drives" then you should be able to format via right click menu(s) .....

And no I do not have the RAZR HD (yet)....

jhf.png

#16 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

BTW what USB mode is your phone in? Mass storage or mtp?

jhf.png

#17 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Aha, there's the issue. You don't have one. So, you're not familiar enough yet with what's different about them.
For some strange reason (I'm sure the smarter people out there have a good explanation for it, but all I know is that it makes my life more difficult  :lol: ), there are only two modes, MTP and PTP on the HDs, and as such, we can't see them in Windows Explorer like we're used to in generations past (like on my former phone, the Bionic).

#18 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

Actually I am familiar with the HD .... forgot about it only showing 2 modes..... anyway in mtp mode, is it showing up in windows as a drive, or a device? Makes a huge difference on how it is opened and the right-click menu....... "... try not... do! or do not! .... there is no try ... "

jhf.png

#19 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Actually are you unlocked? Twrp has an erase internal storage option. From My S4 Dev Edition
  • johnthehillbilly likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#20 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Also..... you said in OP, the external SDcard is not in the mix, does that mean it is removed from the phone? ..... if so, the format option in the phone menu(s) would be referring to the internal storage as it would be the only one available at that point .....

jhf.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users