#1 spartandefiance

spartandefiance

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

Hi guys,
I'm feeling way out of my element. I just got a droid razr and I want to root it. for two main reasons: ICS and to get free hotspotting.

I have no clue what I'm doing. I've never rooted and have no real skill in this at all. I was told that this site is perfect to help a noob like me get started.

Can anyone help me out? Give me any links and straight forward advice. I don't want to get too crazy if i can help it so the simpler the better.

Thanks in advance guys.

#2 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:43 AM

Hi! First, let me welcome you to the forums. We're a great group of people here and are always wanting to help people out and get them what they need. So without further ado, here's some links for you!

Mattlgroff's Droid RAZR Utility:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

This utility can do just about everything you can think of. You need to be on the build version ending in .181 or .173 to be able to root your phone with this utility.

After you've done that, you jump to this thread. This thread will get you on the ICS leak that can still fastboot back to Gingerbread:

After you're on that leak is you choose to install it, this link will get you Safestrap 2.0 recovery, specifically for the ICS Leaks:

After you get done with ALL this stuff lol, you can jump over to the ROMs section and get you a custom ICS ROM that works with the leaks.

Enjoy your new RAZR and if you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)
  • Torin_93 likes this

#3 DrDiff

DrDiff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Twitter:@DrDiff952
  • Google+:DrDiff
  • LocationNorthWest Indiana

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:43 AM

Once you root, SQLite Editor from the market...

Then go to youtube and search for Free WiFi Teather/Moble Hotspot on Rooded Droid Razr

Posted Image

#4 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:00 AM

If I may jump in, in the market there is a hotspot that works with or without root and it's free. it's called FoxFi and I have had no issues with it at all, I use my MacBook and Kindle Fire through it when I am away from a wifi Hotspot

#5 claps1775

claps1775

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationIowa. Close to the University of Iowa.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

FoxFi is good. I have used it before. Myself, I rather have to mobile hotspot as that is best. If you do not want to tweak then FoxFi is your rout. My phones data is all I have for the internet right now. It is great for playing games online (wow), web surfing, dling ect. Buy SQ Lite use it one time and thats it. I have no clue how to use it other then tweaking hotspot. Welcome and you will love the power of the Razr.
Thank you.
To powerful to fall into my hands. Click......Rooted. ICS rommed!!!!! Muhahahahah!!!!

#6 spartandefiance

spartandefiance

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

this is all very helpful. but I still kinda struggling. when i run the utility it says that I need to make sure my phone is debugging mode. what is that and how do i do it? and does foxfi give me free hotspotting?

#7 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

this is all very helpful. but I still kinda struggling. when i run the utility it says that I need to make sure my phone is debugging mode. what is that and how do i do it? and does foxfi give me free hotspotting?

Yes Foxfi is free. To enable USB Debugging. Settings > Applications > Development

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#8 DrDiff

DrDiff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Twitter:@DrDiff952
  • Google+:DrDiff
  • LocationNorthWest Indiana

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

Settings... Applications.... Development... Check the USB debugging box

Posted Image

#9 spartandefiance

spartandefiance

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

okay so now im trying touse droid razr utility 1.6 and im trying to restore it to 6.12.181 but when ihit enter it say "system cannot find the path specified" I'm lost. I hate being such a pain guys, but more help? also when i try and hot spot after installing foxfii it still says that i need to suscribe for 30 bucks a month with verizon. help?

#10 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

okay so now im trying touse droid razr utility 1.6 and im trying to restore it to 6.12.181 but when ihit enter it say "system cannot find the path specified" I'm lost. I hate being such a pain guys, but more help? also when i try and hot spot after installing foxfii it still says that i need to suscribe for 30 bucks a month with verizon. help?

Not sure what's going on with Foxfi but as for the utility, when you downloaded the file, it was a zip file, you need to extract it.

#11 spartandefiance

spartandefiance

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

I know it was a zip file. Do I need to unzip it to my phone? I just unzipped it on my computer.

#12 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

Unzip to the computer.
Posted Image

#13 nukeruss

nukeruss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Twitter:nukeruss
  • Google+:nukeruss
  • LocationPalmyra, PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx XT912

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

You should have been on .181 already if your phone was new. Then what you need to do now is a first make sure you install the motorola drivers and then just use gingerbread root from matts utility

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx locked in with .206

#14 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

You should have been on .181 already if your phone was new. Then what you need to do now is a first make sure you install the motorola drivers and then just use gingerbread root from matts utility

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx locked in with .206

New phones are still on 173. I just picked up two brand new maxx's this week and they were on 173.
Just had to accept ota updates.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

#15 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

New phones are still on 173. I just picked up two brand new maxx's this week and they were on 173.
Just had to accept ota updates.

I bought mine 2 weeks ago. It was on .181

#16 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

I bought mine 2 weeks ago. It was on .181

Then it probably wasn't brand new and was already turned on and updated.

#17 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

Then it probably wasn't brand new and was already turned on and updated.

Wanna bet? On my box it says that the software version is .181. And my phone was brand new. Yours were just old stock probably.

#18 spartandefiance

spartandefiance

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

what's ap fastboot mode and how to I get to it?

#19 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

what's ap fastboot mode and how to I get to it?

Fastbooting is flashing your phone with a stock file to get it back the way it was out of the box. You use RSD Lite or the RAZR Utility (my favorite) to flash the fast boot file

To get into fastboot mode, turn the phone off and hold the volume buttons while holding the power button. Then use the volume down button to highlight AP fastboot and press the volume up button to select it.

#20 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Welcome to the threads, im glad you found us.

I no all this can see overwhelming and may seem like we are speaking in tongs lol. You will find that no question is dumb or stupid. I don't care how much ppl think they no. When you think you do that's when you do stop. We are not like other forums, everyone is hear to help. If you see certain terminology that we use. You can always search Google or our site has a section that covers this. The best thing to do is research what you are doing and understand it. Then write it down and know , for certain, you no what your doing .

I suggest going in the chat room and reading up on what your interested in doing. Then always read the entire first post aka OP. You can also learn alot from reading threw the thread, chances are your question has already been answered.

Welcome to DR.

DirtyDroidX

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • Nitewolf likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: root, noob, ics, safestrap, new, unlock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users