87 replies to this topic

#21 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

Apart from Halo and Pie Controls, what added functionality does this offer over just straight CM?

#22 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Apart from Halo and Pie Controls, what added functionality does this offer over just straight CM?

Well, AOKP,s ribbons comes to mind. There's really too much to go through it all. Best way to find out is to install it and give it a try. ;)

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4

#23 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

Well, AOKP,s ribbons comes to mind. There's really too much to go through it all. Best way to find out is to install it and give it a try. ;)

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4

I did, and the clutter in the settings menus alone turned me off. I think it lived in slot2 for roughly 45 minutes before I decided against setting it up akin to my CM setup.

Even after checking out screenshots of Ribbons, I'm not entirely clear on how that works. Something like a scrollable dock bar in any position?

#24 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts
  • Twitter:lew_bklyn
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

Ugh I was hoping that cluttered settings menu was gone. Turned me off the last time I had it running, I found it very distracting and hard to read

sent from my beantastic Bionic

The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#25 timpohladthomas

timpohladthomas

OSE DEVELOPER

• Developer
  • 1,428 posts
  • Twitter:@timpohladthomas
  • Current Device(s):MOTO X

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:07 AM

Ugh I was hoping that cluttered settings menu was gone. Turned me off the last time I had it running, I found it very distracting and hard to read

What cluttered settings menu?

PDbEXCr.png

Thank Zoo/Owain for my Awesome Sig! If you want to support the Build Server that helps keep OSE going, Click HERE!

#26 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

System settings. They dumped everything into two columns.

The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#27 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

The entire system settings is full of redundant options from three different custom roms. It's messy and ugly and suggests a hasty hack job. I don't think the devs are hacks, but I do think the settings being so all over the place makes for a bad impression. It's like the car Homer Simpson designed. It's got good things in it, and they do what they're supposed to, but it looks horrible and cobbled together.

It performs fine, but I don't know that any changes were made regarding performance anyway. So it's going to perform as well as the CM base. The only functionality issue I foresee is settings from one of the three redundant menus clashing with another if all the combinations don't play well together

#28 timpohladthomas

timpohladthomas

OSE DEVELOPER

• Developer
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

The entire system settings is full of redundant options from three different custom roms. It's messy and ugly and suggests a hasty hack job. I don't think the devs are hacks, but I do think the settings being so all over the place makes for a bad impression. It's like the car Homer Simpson designed. It's got good things in it, and they do what they're supposed to, but it looks horrible and cobbled together.

It performs fine, but I don't know that any changes were made regarding performance anyway. So it's going to perform as well as the CM base. The only functionality issue I foresee is settings from one of the three redundant menus clashing with another if all the combinations don't play well together

Wow, ever heard of the mantra, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?"

bug reports and suggestions to make something better are one thing. But this statement was neither of those.

Nobody is forcing you to flash this rom. So if you don't like it please flash something else and try not to make statements like this.

Thanks
  • lownslow200sx, neckchop, heffzilla and 2 others like this

PDbEXCr.png

Thank Zoo/Owain for my Awesome Sig! If you want to support the Build Server that helps keep OSE going, Click HERE!

#29 heffzilla

heffzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Twitter:@heffzilla

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Don't flash it, don't comment. Kthxbai

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• RikRong likes this

#30 useltonm

useltonm

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Device(s):T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3,

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Sitting at 29 hours with 19% left and 3.5 hours screen time on my bionic (extended battery). Loving the ROM so far. Running the 8/23 nightly.

Bugs: Get process has stopped every once in a while, had it reboot after exiting a game, and enabling voice+ prevents me from sending text messages.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

• timpohladthomas likes this

#31 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

Wow, ever heard of the mantra, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?"

bug reports and suggestions to make something better are one thing. But this statement was neither of those.

Nobody is forcing you to flash this rom. So if you don't like it please flash something else and try not to make statements like this.

Thanks

This *IS* a suggestion to make something better. It's a suggestion to streamline the menus to make the ROM easier to use. I do believe I said that the ROM functions as well as the base, which is something nice. Streamlining the menus may also reduce the possibility of settings that conflict with each other.

So, if you're not going to read the comment all the way through and take the time to understand it, please don't tell me it didn't contain constructive criticism

Don't flash it, don't comment. Kthxbai

See above for the explanation of the comment. I'm sorry that I have to explain it fully, because it wasn't a terribly complex comment.

A comment is only welcome if it kisses the butts of the devs? No. That's absolutely backwards. Telling someone their work is functional yet very much unpolished and confusing isn't even rude. If I had released this, I'd want to know what people don't like about it as much as I'd be glad to see positive reviews. You can't fix a problem that nobody mentions.

• Slickademo likes this

#32 heffzilla

heffzilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Twitter:@heffzilla

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:29 AM

See above for the explanation of the comment. I'm sorry that I have to explain it fully, because it wasn't a terribly complex comment.

A comment is only welcome if it kisses the butts of the devs? No. That's absolutely backwards. Telling someone their work is functional yet very much unpolished and confusing isn't even rude. If I had released this, I'd want to know what people don't like about it as much as I'd be glad to see positive reviews. You can't fix a problem that nobody mentions.

My comment wasn't terribly complex either. If the ROM is to "confusing", don't flash it, stick with something that has less features. If no one mentions a problem...its usually not a problem.

#33 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:56 AM

Y'all are wayyyyyyyyyy too sensitive.  Isn't the whole point of this for users to flash the ROM, try it out, and comment on it?  Isn't that what Pooka did?  What am I missing?

• Int_Rnd_Pooka, Slickademo and pazuzuftw like this

#34 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

Y'all are wayyyyyyyyyy too sensitive.  Isn't the whole point of this for users to flash the ROM, try it out, and comment on it?  Isn't that what Pooka did?  What am I missing?

You're missing the fact that he could have had more tact in his response.

• neckchop and timpohladthomas like this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#35 timpohladthomas

timpohladthomas

OSE DEVELOPER

• Developer
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

This *IS* a suggestion to make something better. It's a suggestion to streamline the menus to make the ROM easier to use. I do believe I said that the ROM functions as well as the base, which is something nice. Streamlining the menus may also reduce the possibility of settings that conflict with each other.

So, if you're not going to read the comment all the way through and take the time to understand it, please don't tell me it didn't contain constructive criticism

Oh, I read the comment all the way through. And all I saw was you stating problem after problem and then saying the base runs good but they didn't change the base so that's why.

Now the real question is, did you read the op all the through? Because if you did, it says you are welcome to contribute to their Gerrit in order to improve the rom. However, what you chose to do was to bash the rom on a forum where none of the devs even come. How is this helpful?

I have always been told if you are not offering solutions, then it's just complaining.

• lownslow200sx, neckchop and RikRong like this

PDbEXCr.png

#36 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

My comment wasn't terribly complex either. If the ROM is to "confusing", don't flash it, stick with something that has less features. If no one mentions a problem...its usually not a problem.

Your comment actually said nothing about confusion. It said to not flash it or comment. I never said it was confusing, just needlessly cluttered. The part about nobody mentioning a problem meaning there isn't a problem is blatantly untrue, though.

You're missing the fact that he could have had more tact in his response.

I stated the issue, stated that the devs were not at all hacks, which implies that they have a clue and some skill, and then explained why I think it's an issue to begin with.

Oh, I read the comment all the way through. And all I saw was you stating problem after problem and then saying the base runs good but they didn't change the base so that's why.

Now the real question is, did you read the op all the through? Because if you did, it says you are welcome to contribute to their Gerrit in order to improve the rom. However, what you chose to do was to bash the rom on a forum where none of the devs even come. How is this helpful?

I have always been told if you are not offering solutions, then it's just complaining.

I did indeed read the OP. I suppose that you did read my post as well, even if the meaning was lost on many. It's helpful in that it describes my experience with the rom. And it does run well. They didn't screw with the essential operation. That's important to know if you're considering flashing a rom.

It works, but it's ugly and redundant. I'm not asking anyone to fix it, and I have no interest in cleaning up their menus for them. I'm not terribly concerned with spending time fixing someone else's multi-kang when not everyone even sees it as broken.

Am I the only one who reads a release thread expecting to see what people like and dislike about a rom so I have an idea of what to expect if I flash it? These threads should be overflowing with mini reviews and not just singing vague praises to devs who (by your own admission) won't ever see them anyway.
  • LDubs likes this

#37 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Correction: in my reply to the first round of butthurt, I did say it was confusing.

I should have clarified that it has potential to confuse, not that I can't figure out how to operate it

#38 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Alright guys... Enough with the back and forth. If you only knew the hours of headaches the Admins went through to get the this rom posted on our site for you to enjoy...

If you enjoy it awesome, if not there are tons of other roms on our site to fit your tastes.  :)

• neckchop, tucstwo, Int_Rnd_Pooka and 4 others like this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#39 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

So I shouldn't give my opinion anymore and instead just not comment unless it's too say "awesome! This rom is the best!" with no explanation of what makes it awesome and the best?

#40 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

So I shouldn't give my opinion anymore and instead just not comment unless it's too say "awesome! This rom is the best!" with no explanation of what makes it awesome and the best?

No I did not say that. All comments are welcome as long as they are respectful in manner. Also this is not the rom thread just a news thread.

Edit: Well I guess it kinda is a rom thread since they are all in the OP. Lol...

• Int_Rnd_Pooka likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users