Photo

(SOLVED)Charges ONLY from computer. OEM cable and adapter DO NOT?

droid razr maxx charger

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phazonx

phazonx

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

(SOLVED!!)  There was no visible dirt in the port after many inspections, but just for good measure I got a piece of thick stranded speaker wire and combed out the charging port several times and air compressed it after. It charges now!!  There is still no visible change in the port but I tried both before and after the cleaning and everything is working now. Thanks for your replies!

Ok.  So after searching google for an hour on this, I can't seem to find an answer.

I have the droid razr maxx.  It's got safestrap and is rooted.  

The problem is that it will only charge from a computer's USB port, not the wall charger that was included by motorola.  The same adapter that WON'T charge my phone will charge my friend's phone just fine through the exact same cable.  I try putting my phone into his brand new samsung S4 charger, nothing.  

At first I thought the issue was with the charger, but obviously not.  Then I thought why not factory reset it using fastboot?  Still nothing.  There doesn't seem to be anything in the port either.

Any help would be awesome folks, thanks.  

#2 Gytole

Gytole

The Hicks Boson!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationOhiyah!
  • Current Device(s):HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7 FLO

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

the stock moto charger has a variable charge selecter and it is quite possible that your voltage has died and his has not, that would explain why his chargers and yours doesnt.

if you want to buy a replacement one, I would suggest the 6w version dual charger. it's my favorite charger, it will charge my Nexus 7 FLO AND my razr maxxx hd at the same time.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Gyt-bauss stock wrecker

#3 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,125 posts
  • Twitter:lew_bklyn
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

If his charger doesn't work on your phone, I would think it's a hardware issue with your charging port... maybe somethings jacked up just enough that it will charge on lower voltage put out by USB but not from a 120v outlet...?  you have insurance/is it still under warranty?

The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#4 phazonx

phazonx

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

If his charger doesn't work on your phone, I would think it's a hardware issue with your charging port... maybe somethings jacked up just enough that it will charge on lower voltage put out by USB but not from a 120v outlet...?  you have insurance/is it still under warranty?

Hmm.  I don't have it under warranty anymore, so I can't send it back.  I would be the 3rd one I sent back by the way.  Great battery but terrible reliability.

Anyway.  I have no idea why this all started.  For now I have to use computer assisted charging.  The other thing that is interesting is that the moto AC usb adapter will work just fine through a power inverter in my car, but not in my house.  Might be a voltage drop problem in my room since it's old wiring and the AC is on a non-appliance cord(yes I know it's a hazard, only run it while I'm here).  That might be making the adapter just a bit under powered to work with my phone in particular.  The other interesting thing is that the same adapter worked on vacation just fine.  2 different adapters both don't charge my phone at this house.  

The strangest thing though, is that the white LED will turn on when I plug it in with the phone off, but it won't go to the charging screen, it just turns on, then the phone shows no charging indicator, but my battery saver app says it's charging the phone.  After many hours of charging with the moto adapter and the app reporting it's charging, the phone will go down in charge level and the icon in my status bar still shows no charging, nor my lockscreen. 

#5 phazonx

phazonx

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

(SOLVED!!)  There was no visible dirt in the port after many inspections, but just for good measure I got a piece of thick stranded speaker wire and combed out the charging port several times and air compressed it after. It charges now!!  There is still no visible change in the port but I tried both before and after the cleaning and everything is working now. Thanks for your replies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users