#1 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'm gonna be getting a laptop soon for next semester and I'm a little out of touch in the processor department. I used to be pretty in tune back a few years ago with computer technology, but haven't paid as much attention to it recently.

What are your thoughts on this (mainly the processor):

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I know Walmart isn't exactly the greatest computer store, but I get a discount and their service plans are awesome...

#2 Alex.Abraham

Alex.Abraham

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 477 posts
  • Twitter:aabraham123456
  • Google+:aabraham123456@gmail.com
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

If you can wait then do it. Later this summer Ivy Bridge processors will become mainstream and you will be able to get an Intel i3 Sandybridge or maybe even an i5 for the same price. I never trusted AMD processors and always go intel. This is by far THE WORST time to buy a laptop with all the new models right around the corner which also means price drops on old models. Also windows 8 is coming out in fall :D
Posted Image

#3 TBouds

TBouds

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

If you're just planning on using that for school it looks good to me.

#4 TBouds

TBouds

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

If you can wait then do it. Later this summer Ivy Bridge processors will become mainstream and you will be able to get an Intel i3 Sandybridge or maybe even an i5 for the same price. I never trusted AMD processors and always go intel. This is by far THE WORST time to buy a laptop with all the new models right around the corner which also means price drops on old models. Also windows 8 is coming out in fall :D

Didn't even think of that, in a couple months new laptops are going to be coming out closer to colleges starting fall semester, good point.

#5 Nnnnr12

Nnnnr12

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Google+:hairstont14
  • LocationLagrange, Ga

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

Yeah i agree wait closer to school starts so you can get even a greater discount on newer and faster computers.

DroidRazr Maxx HD safestrapping!!

#6 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

Ok, I might just wait then... I'm gonna be using it for school, Modding my phone, downloading music and all that stuff. I liked the idea of this computer though, mainly because I can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $15, and I know that a lot of the current razr stuff like the Razr Utility has had issues with windows 8.

#7 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:28 AM

I'd definitely look at the i5's or i7's. Cost a little more but absolutely worth it. Especially if you plan on waiting a bit. Like Alex said, they will probably drop in price later in the summer.

#8 xiinator

xiinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

AMD is no longer bothering to match Intel. They are instead going to focus on server processors. Intel is the way to go. I'll soon be putting together an i7 system for under a grand.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#9 loociddreemr

loociddreemr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

I am an AMD fan myself. You can get the same performance from AMD at half the cost if you build the system yourself. The processor in this laptop is one of AMD's new chipsets that incorporates a discrete GPU. Basically, the graphics processor is built in to the chip which eliminates the need to utilize other resources. This new technilofy is great, and designed mainly for those doing photo and video processing, not gaming. The CPU contained in this particular laptop happens to be the bottom of the line model. I would hold off for a better deal.

#10 Rycix

Rycix

Bouncing Ball Of Energy / Android Rescue Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA
  • Current Device(s):XT912

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

I'm gonna be getting a laptop soon for next semester and I'm a little out of touch in the processor department. I used to be pretty in tune back a few years ago with computer technology, but haven't paid as much attention to it recently.

What are your thoughts on this (mainly the processor):

I know Walmart isn't exactly the greatest computer store, but I get a discount and their service plans are awesome...

It really depends on what you need. I (personally) would stay away from AMD processors. My experience with AMD products hasn't been very satisfying. From what I see, most people seem to favor Intels processors, but there are some people that definitely like AMD better, so it's personal preference most of the time. Since I like Intel, that's what I'd recommend. Intels Ivy Bridge processors have recently come out, and it's a good idea to get a computer with those. www.techbargains.com can be helpful for saving a chuck on money on a laptop. Personally, I'd look at a 15/17 inch laptop, Ivy Bridge i7 Quad core, 8 GB RAM, and a few other things. If I were buying, I'd probably end up buying this:

Droid Razr XT912, cooling down with ICS on 6.16.211

Posted Image

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#11 loociddreemr

loociddreemr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

AMD is no longer bothering to match Intel. They are instead going to focus on server processors. Intel is the way to go. I'll soon be putting together an i7 system for under a grand.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I put together a build based on the AM3 SB850. I used a Phenom II X6 1060. I did this under 800 and can give a i7 a run for the money. An i7 would have been double the cost with the same avaialbe features. It is way cheaper to build the system yourself.

I do not agree that AMD has dropped the ball on desktop processors. They have come out with two new socket designs this year. The higher end models are eight core processors with integrated GPU and speeds exceeding 4.2Ghz.

#12 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

AMDs have always been good to me and seem to last longer than Intel. They run cooler in my experiences with them.
Posted Image

#13 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

I don't have a problem with either brand as I've had computers with both. I'm just trying to get the best for the money.

I wanted to stick with Walmart, but I did find this one that I like:

#14 MkVsTheWorld

MkVsTheWorld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Twitter:MkVsTheWorld
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

I have never had a problem with an AMD processor before. I'm running a custom built PC that has an AMD Athlon X2 4800+ and it's at least 5 years old. You can buy a laptop much cheaper just because it's an AMD and don't let people discredit it. While the Ivy Bridge processors are amazing, I don't know if you need to shell out the extra dough for one. If you just want a computer for school and the simple other things you mentioned then you could probably buy one of the laptops over the summer that do not have Ivy Bridge Intel processors for a deal. Like everyone else said, I'd wait until closer to school.
Run for your health, run for the rush, run for charity. Sign up for a race near you, you can do it!

#15 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

I want a computer that will be usable for a few years and won't be so obsolete that I can't run future programs with it.

It will be a general use PC for school, downloading files and video streaming, but also I might run Linux on it and partition the hard drive, I may install a graphics card in it and do some gaming, and I need to be able to use the Razr Utilities and the like (which is why I wanted at least 4 gigs of ram).

I keep my stuff for awhile and take care of it, but I also use it.

#16 benefit14snake

benefit14snake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

I want a computer that will be usable for a few years and won't be so obsolete that I can't run future programs with it.

It will be a general use PC for school, downloading files and video streaming, but also I might run Linux on it and partition the hard drive, I may install a graphics card in it and do some gaming, and I need to be able to use the Razr Utilities and the like (which is why I wanted at least 4 gigs of ram).

I keep my stuff for awhile and take care of it, but I also use it.

Your better off buying a $600 decent laptop now and if a few years from now you need better get it. To say you want something that will not be obsolete in a few years is a bit silly only because tech progresses too fast. 600 now + 600 in two to three years is better than 1200 now. Also, dont go too low end as quality suffers greatly due to already razr thin profit margins. Go midrange amd all day.

Sent from my Axiom MAXX!!

#17 benefit14snake

benefit14snake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

This actually seems very nice. Only $400 also!

[url="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+15.6"+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Blue/Silver/5042655.p?id=1218603007248&skuId=5042655&st=samsung%20laptop&cp=1&lp=6"]http://www.bestbuy.c...aptop&cp=1&lp=6[/url]

Sent from my Axiom MAXX!!Gotta hand it to Samsung for using a 4gb stick of ram instead of 2x2gb. Nicely played Samsung, this is why you continue to be one of my favorite brands

#18 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

Your better off buying a $600 decent laptop now and if a few years from now you need better get it. To say you want something that will not be obsolete in a few years is a bit silly only because tech progresses too fast. 600 now + 600 in two to three years is better than 1200 now. Also, dont go too low end as quality suffers greatly due to already razr thin profit margins. Go midrange amd all day.

Haha yeah, I know technology advances pretty fast. I remember my first computer had a 20 gig hard drive and Windows 98... and I thought I could never fill up that much.

I didn't mean that I thought I could spend $500 and get a future proof system, I just want to get something that will meet my needs for a few years and still be usable.

#19 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

This actually seems very nice. Only $400 also!

[url="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+15.6"+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Blue/Silver/5042655.p?id=1218603007248&skuId=5042655&st=samsung%20laptop&cp=1&lp=6"]http://www.bestbuy.c...aptop&cp=1&lp=6[/url]

Sent from my Axiom MAXX!!Gotta hand it to Samsung for using a 4gb stick of ram instead of 2x2gb. Nicely played Samsung, this is why you continue to be one of my favorite brands

I would have to check that out in person. I haven't seen this particular model, but the Samsung laptops I have seen in stores have been really cheap quality wise and seemed really fragile.

#20 benefit14snake

benefit14snake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

I would have to check that out in person. I haven't seen this particular model, but the Samsung laptops I have seen in stores have been really cheap quality wise and seemed really fragile.

It may be, especially at 400. We bought one last year at Bestbuy for $829 and its all aluminum and has a very nice screen. Popped my 128gb ssd in it and the thing FLIES... very nice pc for the wife. Build quality is awesome! Idk ive bought and sold (worked at bestbuy in the computer department for two years) enough $350-420 models and they seem to have the most problems. Especially the bargin bin toshiba and HP.

I can tell you that if you buy a laptop from bestbuy with a $100 or more instant rebate it will be at or below cost. So you wont find a better deal. I always buy my laptops from bestbuy (and build my desktops)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users