#1 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 Dev Edition

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'm going to receive my S4 Verizon Developers Edition Monday. I've been running a Maxx HD, bootloader unlocked and rooted.  This is my first Sammy so I obviously have a lot to learn about TouchWiz etc.  I've read every thread in this forum plus spent a lot of time on other forums trying to figure out three things: 1) best method to root  2) which custom recovery to use and how to get it on the phone and 3) what version of Odin should I be using?  I appreciate the recommendations, thank you.

#2 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Never mind...I figured it out.  The only problem is I used a root method that replaced my Dev Edition kernel.  Still unsure about a recovery, but I guess the best bet right now is Philz.

#3 Ch83

Ch83

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

Which method did you follow?

#4 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

Which method did you follow?

The WRONG way, for root anyway.  I used Odin to flash the 423399 kernel, then ran motochopper, then used Odin for flash the 562219 kernel.  I am still on MDK and at least rooted.  I just found out that that process replaces the kernel that comes with the Dev Edition.  I'm not sure what if that will cause problems down the road.  This is my first experience with a Sammy and unlocked bootloaders.  I did a lot of research and kept going around in circles, couldn't seem to find a clear "here is the preferred method" sort of thing. The method I used said it could safely be used on the i545, MDK...so I did it.  After root I got a warning message but an ADMIN on this forum got me squared away...it was related to a couple of Knox apks.  Now I'm looking for a link to the RIGHT Philz Touch recovery.  Same issue, everything is clear as mud.  I guess it's all counts for experience, so I have no problem with that.  Thanks for asking.

EDIT:  If you haven't rooted yet here is what I found out after the fact.  Because the bootloader is unlocked all you have to do is install a custom recovery, Philz was recommend, and flash SuperUser...Bam...you're rooted. 

• Ch83 likes this

#5 Ch83

Ch83

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thanks a million!

I plan on rooting tonight and with your input i know which direction to take with the dev edition.

thanks again

#6 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Thanks a million!

I plan on rooting tonight and with your input i know which direction to take with the dev edition.

thanks again

You're probably looking for a custom recovery also.  With some recommendations from a few on this forum, Philz Touch 5 is a good one.  You have to flash/install it with Odin, but the process is pretty much a one or two clip process.  Google both Odin (if you don't have it already) and Philz Touch 5 and you'll get links for the downloads.  There is a thread in this forum for a "root toolbox".  I didn't see it when I was going through this forum until after I had already used the process I described above.  None of the responses in that thread says it doesn't work or causes issues so I guess it is a good to use also.  Had I seen that thread I probably would have gone that route.  Or, get a custom recovery, download SuperUser and flash through your custom recovery...your choice...good luck.

#7 Ch83

Ch83

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

installed philz and supersu so all set now ;)

Havent gone the route of a ROM just yet only because from what i have seen that would require the removal of the stock dev kernal without a way of going back. Big help though so thanks again for the direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users