11 replies to this topic

#1 ripper2860

ripper2860

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Razr HD Maxx

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

I really hope you folks can help me out...

I am unable to restore backups via TWRP.   I had been running TWRP 2.5.0.0 with no issues backing up and restoring and now every time I attempt to restore, I get a restore failed error.  Backups complete with no issues or errors, issues seem to be only with restores.  Even upgraded to 2.6.1.0 and still have the same issue restoring 2.5.0.0 generated backups as well as new 2.6.0.0 backups.  This is getting to be a pain, since I can only re-flash from scratch and have to manually re-setup my phone apps and appearance after a Google settings restore.  I am saving my backups to external SD card and have no issues accessing any data on the card, so I do not think that is it.  I even read somewhere that a manually named backup containing a space in the name may be problematic, so  I've renamed my backup files and even generated new ones and let TWRP name the file -- all to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am out of ideas.

BTW -- The restore files are 4.2.2-based ROMs backups.

Thanks.   

Motorola Razr HD Maxx

Root and Unlocked Bootloader | Blurry 1.2 HD  | Nova Launcher | CrossBreeder MOD

#2 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

I had the same problem, it said the restore failed but I decided to reboot system anyway.  Low and behold, the backup did restore but without data.  It was like a freshly installed ROM.  I did basic setup, then booted back into recovery and restored the same ROM.  This time, it restored everything with no problems.  Long story short, try restoring only the boot.img of the ROM you backed up.  After that restores, do a complete restore of the backed up ROM you want to use.

• neckchop likes this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#3 ripper2860

ripper2860

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

Thanks.  I'll give that a shot.  Kinda strange how it just started happening all of a sudden after working beautifully for so long.  

Motorola Razr HD Maxx

Root and Unlocked Bootloader | Blurry 1.2 HD  | Nova Launcher | CrossBreeder MOD

#4 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Thanks.  I'll give that a shot.  Kinda strange how it just started happening all of a sudden after working beautifully for so long.  

Yeah, that is weird.  I only ran into the issue after flashing 4.3 based ROMs.

#5 ripper2860

ripper2860

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

Now that you mention it, I tried one 4.3 ROM and if memory serves, it was about that time.  I never put the 2 events together, but now that you mention it ...

Motorola Razr HD Maxx

#6 ripper2860

ripper2860

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Strange. Did another backup of my 4.22 ROM, flashed V13 4.3 ROM, decided to roll back (no voice search when docked ) attempted a restore back to 4.22 and all went fine. Performed several flashes and restores and all without the restore failed error.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Motorola Razr HD Maxx

#7 newskate9

newskate9

Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD, Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:54 AM

HI there,

I"m going to bring this topic back again, cause it just happened to me, for the first time.

I've been jumping back and forth between beanstalk and carbon 4.4.2 roms, with an occasional validus.  No issues, making backups, restoring, etc.  Today I installed a validus fresh to try to change the boot animation with ROM toolbox.  That worked with no issues.  I then backed that up.

I then tried to restore my carbon back I'd made before the test, and no go.

I've tried many times installing new and then trying to restore - no go.

I can wipe and install fresh, any ROM, but cannot restore any ROM.  Any ideas?

EDIT 1:  I deleted ALL backups, did a fresh carbon 4.4.2 install.  Rebooted.  Rebooted then into recover.  Backup to SD card as usual.  Reboot.  Then tried to restore the backup I'd just made.  NO Go.  So had to do a fresh install again.

EDIT 2: After fresh reboot, moved my backup to internal storage. Recovery, then attempt restore, no go. Had to do another fresh install.

EDIT 3: After fresh install, I created a backup directly to internal storage (no copy/paste), then wiped everything as usual. Then restore direct from internal - it worked. 

So now, I'm wondering if my SD card is nuts up somehow. Maybe I'll format that, then start over.

oh, and I'm on 2.6.3.0

Proud father of a US Marine

#8 fat_daddy78

fat_daddy78

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr HD

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

HI there,

I"m going to bring this topic back again, cause it just happened to me, for the first time.

I've been jumping back and forth between beanstalk and carbon 4.4.2 roms, with an occasional validus.  No issues, making backups, restoring, etc.  Today I installed a validus fresh to try to change the boot animation with ROM toolbox.  That worked with no issues.  I then backed that up.

I then tried to restore my carbon back I'd made before the test, and no go.

I've tried many times installing new and then trying to restore - no go.

I can wipe and install fresh, any ROM, but cannot restore any ROM.  Any ideas?

EDIT 1:  I deleted ALL backups, did a fresh carbon 4.4.2 install.  Rebooted.  Rebooted then into recover.  Backup to SD card as usual.  Reboot.  Then tried to restore the backup I'd just made.  NO Go.  So had to do a fresh install again.

EDIT 2: After fresh reboot, moved my backup to internal storage. Recovery, then attempt restore, no go. Had to do another fresh install.

EDIT 3: After fresh install, I created a backup directly to internal storage (no copy/paste), then wiped everything as usual. Then restore direct from internal - it worked. 

So now, I'm wondering if my SD card is nuts up somehow. Maybe I'll format that, then start over.

oh, and I'm on 2.6.3.0

I have the exact same issue right now. I can only install from internal. Im using CWM unfortunetly. I like TWRP better but it was really wigging out. All my previous backups are on twrp. getting ready to flash that back and give it a shot. Really want to try out validus. Thats when it all began... lol give me a shout if you get it man! good luck

#9 newskate9

newskate9

Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

I have the exact same issue right now. I can only install from internal. Im using CWM unfortunetly. I like TWRP better but it was really wigging out. All my previous backups are on twrp. getting ready to flash that back and give it a shot. Really want to try out validus. Thats when it all began... lol give me a shout if you get it man! good luck

OK - so as I said, can do internal stuff no issues.

NOW - I went to recovery, made a new backup in to cleaned out TWRP folder on EXTERNAL card.  Wiped till it hurt.  Then restored that backup from external and IT WORKED.

At this point, I think Validus did something, but it makes no sense to me.  I've used Validus on/off recently, with other ROMS and I THINK all worked fine.  It this morning, when I tried something for someone, changed boot animation on Validus, backed it up, then restored it - that things went nuts.  So between THAT ROM and what I did, it may have whacked it out.  BUT, seems to be working now just fine.

I may have caused it - when I have time later, I may redo the steps to confirm.  But for now, i'll leave Validus in the box.  When I do try it, I'll update boot ani as well, to see if that's what nuked stuff.

Good luck to you as well.  I think I found the root cause of mine, but will have to verify.

#10 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

Try changing the name when you make the backup.  The auto-generated name is probably too long for TWRP to pull it from your external SD.  Try changing the name and saving the backup to your external, and then see if you can restore from external. 

#11 newskate9

newskate9

Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

Try changing the name when you make the backup.  The auto-generated name is probably too long for TWRP to pull it from your external SD.  Try changing the name and saving the backup to your external, and then see if you can restore from external. 

Yep, I learned about the auto gen name a while ago.  And I always save to and restore from the ext drive.  At this point, I'm leaning toward something I did when I changed to boot animation, then backed up, or something.  Anyhow, been ROM'ing all day, saving, restoring, and no issues.

• cmh714 likes this

#12 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

Yep, I learned about the auto gen name a while ago.  And I always save to and restore from the ext drive.  At this point, I'm leaning toward something I did when I changed to boot animation, then backed up, or something.  Anyhow, been ROM'ing all day, saving, restoring, and no issues.

Yeah, I saw your post on XDA.  Glad that it's working for ya now. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TWRP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users