• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

Using these files should fix any major issues you have while trying to update to the next OTA you want to get too.

You should only have to do this when RSD Lite and/or Fastboot are not working on your phone and you want to update to the latest OTA.

Use RootExplorer and replace the original preinstall you have (make sure you clear your folder of everything first) and install one of these preinstall folders (whichever version you are currently on).

Preinstall folders to replace yours:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

If your OTA still is giving you an error with something along of the lines of app_check_fail and giving you a blur_linkedin.apk (for example) then continue reading this guide.

You may have gotten an error similar to this:

Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/blur_linkedin.apk", "14edad57cef3b955a15ff5c3a0d6e519f3949dbc"
, "ad9896a7e8589427d5073babccbe6513cfc79773")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I solved this by using RootExplorer, going into /system/apps/ and pasting in everything from the folder you can download below that contains all of the bloatware you may or may not have removed. Just replace everything in your /system/apps/ folder with this. Don't clear it out before like the preinstall, just copy, paste, replace. (This is so any Launchers you want will not be deleted)

Links to backed up /system/apps/ folders:

All of these finally solved my error and I was able to upgrade from .744 to .748 (and from .748 to 173, to 174) using the official OTA on my original rom. I re-rooted using the VooDoo RootKeeper app from the market, reinstalled RazrSafeStrap.apk (found here:

), then had to restore system using the SafeStrap menu to ensure my enabled Safe System ROM ran again.

If anyone is still having issues please reply to this thread with the EXACT error the install is giving you, tell us whether you are using SafeStrap, what kind of OTA (forced or regular), and any other details we could find helpful. I struggled with this for a while and I worked hard to gather all this information. Keep diggin!

Ask questions here if you have any.

Edited by mattlgroff, 05 February 2012 - 02:26 PM.
Updated

• mugsy77, Smacinskyjr, andlaw and 2 others like this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#2 coletrane09

coletrane09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Twitter:coletrane09
  • LocationHart, MI

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

If you were like me and made the silly mistake of uninstalling bloatware on your original ROM without realizing it would affect OTA updates, you are NOT ALONE. If you were like others and you preinstall folder is the error, read this too! Just getting some random error? Try it anyway.

I made the same mistake, and I will tell you my story and maybe it will help you with your problem.

Refer to the installation guide for keeping your root found here:

Rumors that I found were NOT true (in my case):
  • SafeStrap must be disabled
  • I was screwed and should just return my phone
I first read issues about a pre-install folder, so I found a nice member that uploaded his preinstall folder that will work if you use RootExplorer and replace the original preinstall you have (make sure you clear your folder of everything first) and install his preinstall folder.

Link to preinstall folder I used:

(Taken from

)

If your OTA still is giving you an error with something along of the lines of app_check_fail and giving you a blur_linkedin.apk (for example) then continue reading this guide.

You may have gotten an error similar to mine:

Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/blur_linkedin.apk", "14edad57cef3b955a15ff5c3a0d6e519f3949dbc"
, "ad9896a7e8589427d5073babccbe6513cfc79773")
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I solved this by using RootExplorer, going into /system/apps/ and pasting in everything I got from a folder I downloaded of a pre-OTA Droid RAZR that contains all of the bloatware you may or may not have removed. Just replace everything in your /system/apps/ folder with this. Don't clear it out before like the preinstall, just copy, paste, replace.

Link to backup I used:

(from

).

All of these finally solved my error and I was able to upgrade from .744 to .748 using the official OTA on my original rom. I re-rooted using the VooDoo RootKeeper app from the market, reinstalled RazrSafeStrap.apk (found here:

), then had to restore system using the SafeStrap menu to ensure my enabled Safe System ROM ran again.

If anyone is still having issues please reply to this thread with the EXACT error the install is giving you, tell us whether you are using SafeStrap, what kind of OTA (forced or regular), and any other details we could find helpful. I struggled with this for a while and I worked hard to gather all this information. Keep diggin!

EDIT: If for whatever reason this didn't work for you... try looking on other forums.

was quite helpful to me and the DroidRzr website is very supportive. Don't give up!

I'm trying this is the error I'm getting:
apply_patch_check ("MTD:8388608:93e8a514993a5749674071f93d425793b842278f:8388608:131393a E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip

#3 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

I'm trying this is the error I'm getting:
apply_patch_check ("MTD:8388608:93e8a514993a5749674071f93d425793b842278f:8388608:131393a E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip

Replace preinstall folder for your version

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

#4 coletrane09

coletrane09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationHart, MI

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Replace preinstall folder for your version

I'll try this later but I think im gonna have to start out from scratch, reflash back to stock. I had problem with ota before and replaced build.prop with nitro deodexed and ota worked. Latest update leak worked fine then flashed another rom caught in bootloop had to use command prompt method to get back to stock. Now having all these problems

#5 coletrane09

coletrane09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationHart, MI

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

Am I doing this right?: download the pre ota extract, copy the preinstall folder paste it in system/app? Or just copy pre-OTA Droid RAZR and paste in system/app?

#6 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Am I doing this right?: download the pre ota extract, copy the preinstall folder paste it in system/app? Or just copy pre-OTA Droid RAZR and paste in system/app?

You take the pre-OTA backup and put the system/apps/ folder from it into your Razr's

#7 texanmike

texanmike

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:20 AM

In case anyone else is having issues... If you happened to make a nandroid of your stock rom immediately after you rooted in CWM just restore the /system (leave data/cache alone). I did that without issue.

Mike

#8 papi92

papi92

Developer

• Developer
  • 727 posts
  • Twitter:afox2015

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Links for Pre install aren't working

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#9 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Links for Pre install aren't working

Tested they are working...

#10 papi92

papi92

Developer

• Developer
  • 727 posts
  • Twitter:afox2015

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

My phone won't download

#11 tyrthas

tyrthas

CassDroid's Personal Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter:@tyrthas
  • Google+:Ron Becker
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

My phone won't download

Sometimes downloading on your phone doesn't work. You could try another browser, or download it on the comp and transfer it over.
Sent from my XT912

#12 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

My phone won't download

You can but them on your SD card and install them manually:

#13 KANYONKRITTER

KANYONKRITTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

This is the error i get when i try the update.zip method from recovery............

assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop","ro.
:2.3.6/6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M2-5/111228:user/release-keys"
ll file_getprop("/system/build/.prop", "ro.build
.fingerprint") == "verizon/spyder_vzw/cdma_sypder:2.3.
6/6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M3-1/120125:user/release-keys"
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

#14 panapress

panapress

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I downloaded the zip file to my PC. Should I copy the file over to my phone and then install from there?
My phone is rooted but with stock rom. I am simply trying to update to the OTA, but need to reinstall the bloatwares before I can update. I already have Voodoo installed to preserve my root after update to 2.3.6.

#15 KANYONKRITTER

KANYONKRITTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

There was a su back up in my pre-install folder that I could not delete So I went ahead and extracted the "new Preinstall pkg" into my pre-install folder and got an error....cant remember what it said as it came and went to fast...I do remember seeing something about "battery" and "know your device" so.......is there a folder that records all of the errors so I can post it? I am rooted, I am at .748 this was an attempt at update to .173 via OTA, I had been using safestrap but it has been deleted, and I had done a hard reset. I had trouble with downloading Root explorer,,,,some sort of market error,,,, so I was using Jrummys explorer lite. hope this helps. I am downloading the Links to backed up /system/apps/ folders: to see if that remedies the problem I will post those results tomorrow.
edit.........lol it worked after I properly added the new preinstall files. Just had to pull my head out until i heard a pop and my ears started to ring O_0. I had a preinstall folder containing the needed files inside my preinstall folder. :mellow:

#16 alansirhc

alansirhc

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

My OTA failed, so cleared my phone using

It still fails, giving me an error of apply_patch_check("webtop/bin/fusermount"......)

I'm currently downloading the RSD lite restore files (which I used once before, but didn't save the file - duh). Will that restore webtop?

I must have lost it when I was playing with safestrap, but the directories do appear to be completely gone. I got my /preinstall folder back in shape, and thought I'd be set for a clean upgrade.

Edit: RSD lite fixed everything, including my /preinstall and my webtop stuff. Upgrading worked fine.

#17 DTrainMusikVein

DTrainMusikVein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Google+:donotippett21
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

I spent like 3 hours yesterday fastbooting to .744 then attempting to install OTA update to .748 via your method. Every time I try and update it fails, with the preinstall folder replaced. Every time I try to paste the system apps, it goes into an endless bootloop. Please help because I'm stuck at .744 and now my bluetooth radio is not working... Ive tried fixing it, as I am an experienced android crackflasher, hacker, developer, etc... but I'm lost as to why I cannot get bluetooth to work on stock .744 after wipe and fastboot? Thanks in advance

#18 Fetus

Fetus

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

You sir are a phone saver, thank you very much ^_^

#19 clouddance

clouddance

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hi Matt, I tried this approach, the preinstall part was easy, but when I attempted the copy/paste/overwrite for the apk my phone crashed fast and furious. When I finally got out of trouble my notification bar was gone. I'm trying to place your stock (748) SystemUI.apk because that's what generated the error. I assume the SystemUI.apk has something to do with the notification bar.( I changed one icon via ROM toolbox thinking I was Backed-up. oops ). Any suggestions on how to swap these files? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

#20 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

Hi Matt, I tried this approach, the preinstall part was easy, but when I attempted the copy/paste/overwrite for the apk my phone crashed fast and furious. When I finally got out of trouble my notification bar was gone. I'm trying to place your stock (748) SystemUI.apk because that's what generated the error. I assume the SystemUI.apk has something to do with the notification bar.( I changed one icon via ROM toolbox thinking I was Backed-up. oops ). Any suggestions on how to swap these files? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

You'll need to replace the .apk and the .odex of the files you want to replace. I use Root Explorer. A faster way to get back to stock however, would be to fastboot restore. RSD Lite and my Droid RAZR Utility work fairly well with this process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users