Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:02 AM

First off sorry if this is in the wrong place. And i didnt want to hijack a bootstrap or safestrap thread.. so
ALSO DO NOT ATTEMPT WHAT IM PROPOSING AS PLAYING WITH SAFESTRAP AND BOOTSRAP IS A POTENTIAL DEATH SENTENCE.

I havent used safestrap in a while. I used it back in the long ago, and the far far away. (Back before sbf)
But i remember when trying to go back stock for a leak install it was a booger boo. Kept having partition problems or something, i cant remember exactly. There where some people wighting over the folders and having success, but it never worked for me.

So my question is. If i used bootstrap and made a 100% stock backup.
Then uninstall bootstrap, installed safestrap and flash to my lil hearts content.
Then when i wanna ota or bump up a leak, could i return to safe side, uninstall safestrap, re install bootstrap, flash stock backup, uninstall bootsrap and then be able to ota, or bump up leak?
Ie would using the bootstrap recovery over wright that nasty hangup that safestrap can cause?

Yes i understand it would just be easier to wipe data and sbf, but where is the fun in that....

I am :ph34r: fear my blade!

Posted Image

#2 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

The simple answer is no.
Safestrap uses the /preinstall partition to store the second system and past updates have always ran asserts on that partition prior to allowing the update to go through. We can only assume that future updates will do the same. Neither SS or BS perform a backup on the /preinstall, so it will never be restored properly without either a fastboot flash of the stock preinstall.img or possibly from a direct copy made prior to installing SS.

#3 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

My brain just exploded. lol
Posted Image

#4 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

The simple answer is no.
Safestrap uses the /preinstall partition to store the second system and past updates have always ran asserts on that partition prior to allowing the update to go through. We can only assume that future updates will do the same. Neither SS or BS perform a backup on the /preinstall, so it will never be restored properly without either a fastboot flash of the stock preinstall.img or possibly from a direct copy made prior to installing SS.

Thanks, that is what i was thinking. That boit wouldnt overwright the pre.

Posted Image

#5 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

My brain just exploded. lol

I just laughed so loud!
Lol
Im sitting in dr office with my knee surgeon, and they had to run in room checking on us..
Thought i was wiggin out r smthin. Lol

Posted Image

#6 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

I just laughed so loud!
Lol
Im sitting in dr office with my knee surgeon, and they had to run in room checking on us..
Thought i was wiggin out r smthin. Lol

I done my good deed for the day then. Lol
Posted Image

#7 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

Ok, jw exactly what folder should i copy b4 going to safe?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Posted Image

#8 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

/preinstall and all its subfolders & files

#9 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

/preinstall and all its subfolders & files

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Posted Image

#10 coryj558

coryj558

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

Can someone please post up a copy of the preinstall dir for us noobs who didn't have the foresight to backup before safestrapping?
Thanks!

#11 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Can someone please post up a copy of the preinstall dir for us noobs who didn't have the foresight to backup before safestrapping?
Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it at this point. We are a ways away from another update, and I'm pretty sure that Axelsyd mentioned that he had everything all nice and backed up and would make it available when/if it was needed.

#12 coryj558

coryj558

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

There is some debate on whether or not an update for battery life issues with 211 will be made actually.

#13 ViaCapita

ViaCapita

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:twitter.com/luekassvaya

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

Thanks!

I agree. If someone could post a copy that would be great. I'm unable to install the .211 OTA because I at one point installed Safestrap and didn't save a backup of the preinstall folder. When reading through the recovery last log it hangs on files that were in the preinstall folder.

If anyone could post a copy it would be greatly appreciated.

#14 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

I agree. If someone could post a copy that would be great. I'm unable to install the .211 OTA because I at one point installed Safestrap and didn't save a backup of the preinstall folder. When reading through the recovery last log it hangs on files that were in the preinstall folder.

If anyone could post a copy it would be greatly appreciated.

The OP is talking about the ICS preinstall folder. If you're still on GB you can restore the preinstall partition with the leaked fastboot files or Matt's 1.6 or 1 7 utility. But you also will need to remove all the remnants that safestrap left behind before the OTA will succeed.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users