#1 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

Don't just read this threads OP, READ IT ALL. There's TONS of info in here!

Disclaimer: I am making this post with the intention of educating those who misunderstand what Motorola's warranty cover's. There's a lot of discussion tossed around this forum about warranties, voiding warranties, and root voiding warranties. People always say a lot about this topic matter-of-factly but with no sources to back up their statements. I am hoping to clear the air so that everyone can understand what rooting does and does NOT do to their warranty. I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

First allow me to point you to some highlights from "MOTOROLA MOBILITY INC. LIMITED GLOBAL WARRANTY MOBILE PHONES"

What Does This Limited Warranty Cover?
Motorola Mobility Inc. or its subsidiaries’ warranty obligations are limited to the terms and conditions set forth herein. Subject to the exclusions contained below, Motorola Mobility Inc or its subsidiaries (“Motorola”) warrant this Mobile Phone, and any in-box accessories which accompany such Mobile Phone (“Product”) against defects in materials and workmanship, under normal consumer use, for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser, or the period of time required by the laws of the country where the Product is purchased, whichever is longer (“Warranty Period”).

What this means is Motorola is offering a "Limited" warranty for 1 year and it only applies to the original owner of the phone and it only covers defects in "materials and workmanship". Which basically means if you dunk the phone in water, it's not their fault/problem.

What Will Motorola Do?
If a covered defect or damage arises and a valid warranty claim is received within the applicable Warranty Period, Motorola, at its sole option, unless otherwise required by applicable law, will either (1) repair, at no charge, the defect or damage using new, used or reconditioned/refurbished functionally equivalent replacement parts; or (2) exchange the Product with a replacement Product that is new or which has been reconditioned/refurbished or otherwise remanufactured from new or used parts and is functionally equivalent to the original Product; or (3) refund the purchase price of any Products covered by the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty.

What this means is IF YOU HAVE A VALID CLAIM, Motorola has 3 options: Repair your phone with whatever parts they have (new, used, refurbed), give you a replacement phone (new or refurb), or give you a refund. This does NOT mean they owe you extra money, owe you a BRAND NEW PHONE, or owe you a MAXX or GNEX or any other phone of your choosing.

(a) Consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings designed to diminish over time unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship. Only batteries whose fully charged capacity falls below 80% of their rated capacity and batteries that leak are covered by this limited warranty.

(b)Cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents, cracks or other cosmetic damage.

© Damage caused by use with non-Motorola products. Defects or damage that result from the use of non-Motorola branded or certified Products, accessories or other peripheral equipment, including without limitation housings, parts, or software, are excluded from coverage.

(d) Damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external causes; including but not limited to: (i) improper usage or operation (e.g. operating the Product outside their permitted or intended uses as defined by Motorola, including but not limited to as set forth by Motorola in the Products' User Manual, Quick Start Guide, Online Tutorials, and other documentation), improper storage (e.g. subjecting the Product to extreme temperatures), abuse or neglect (e.g. broken/bent/missing clips/fasteners/connectors); impact damage (e.g. dropping the Product) (ii) contact with liquids, water, rain, extreme humidity, heavy perspiration or other moisture; sand, food, dirt or similar substances (except for Products sold as resistant to such substances, but only to the extent the damage was not caused by incorrectly securing the phone’s protective elements or subjecting the Product to conditions beyond its stated specifications or limits); (iii) use of the Products for commercial rental purposes; or (iv) external causes or acts which are not the fault of Motorola, including but not limited to flood, fire, earthquake, tornado or other acts of God, are excluded from coverage.

This part is should be obvious to almost everyone. Your warranty does not protect you if your phone is scratched up, you drop it, you get it wet, you intentionally bash it on your garage floor to show your friends how awesome the Gorilla glass is, or if you're in a Tsunami.

NOW THE GOOD PART:

(e) Unauthorized Service or Modification. Defects or damage resulting from service, testing, adjustment, installation, maintenance, alteration, or modification in any way, including but not limited to tampering with or altering the software, by someone other than Motorola, or its authorized service centers, are excluded from coverage. Notwithstanding the foregoing, any Product which has had its bootloader unlocked, or whose operating system has been altered, including any failed attempts to unlock the bootloader or alter such operating system, is not covered by this warranty, regardless of whether such modifications are authorized, approved, or otherwise sanctioned by Motorola.

(f) A product or part that has been modified in any manner without the written permission of Motorola. Products that have been altered in any manner so as to prevent Motorola from determining whether such Products are covered under the terms of this Limited Warranty are excluded from coverage. The forgoing shall include but not be limited to (i) serial numbers, date tags or other manufacturer coding that has been removed, altered or obliterated; (ii) mismatched or duplicated serial numbers; or (iii) broken seals or other evidence of tampering.

Do not open the Product or attempt to repair the Product yourself; such conduct may cause damage that is not covered by this warranty.

Ok, so this is the section of the warranty that everyone always likes to quote, yet never actually quotes. Motorola is saying in this section that altering your system or unlocking/trying to unlock the bootloader explicitly excludes their liability to repair your device if you damage it in the process of doing this.
This part always confuses a lot of people because it does not say altering systems or unlocking bootloaders "Voids you're warranty". It says that if you do do those things or attempt to do them and break you're phone in the process then you are not entitled to apply to Motorola for a replacement, unter the terms of this agreement. They further go on to state this:

WARNING AGAINST UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER OR ALTERING A PRODUCT’S OPERATING SYSTEM SOFTWARE: MOTOROLA STRONGLY RECOMMENDS AGAINST ALTERING A PRODUCT'S OPERATING SYSTEM, WHICH INCLUDES UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER, ROOTING A DEVICE OR RUNNING ANY OPERATING SOFTWARE OTHER THAN THE APPROVED VERSIONS ISSUED BY MOTOROLA AND ITS PARTNERS. SUCH ALTERATIONS MAY PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR PRODUCT, CAUSE YOUR PRODUCT TO BE UNSAFE AND/OR CAUSE YOUR PRODUCT TO MALFUNCTION. IN SUCH CASES, NEITHER THE PRODUCT NOR ANY DAMAGE RESULTING THEREFROM WILL BE COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY.

So what does all this mean? Basically, the biggest misconception around here is people arguing over whether rooting voids your warranty. While there is no short answer I will try to explain as best as possible. Rooting your device does not "VOID YOUR WARRANTY" HOWEVER-if you do root your phone, unlock it's bootloader, alter the system or run a rom and BORK your phone in the process Motorola is not required to help you. You do, however still have a warranty.

Wha? What? What does he mean! Tucstwo, YOU ARE WRONG!!!
Let me clear the air. In 1975, the federal government passed The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. While this act covers a lot of other warranty related issues, the part that applies to us is this: Motorola cannot void your entire warranty because your phone has been modified by rooting/romming. However, if you're phone develops an issue (ex. bricks, won't turn on, etc) they (Motorola) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of your alteration. And then are not required to fix/replace your phone.

More specificially, let's look at law according to the Magnusson-Moss Act Chapter 50 of United States Code Section 2304 {Also attached, unabdriged}:

Waiver of standards
The performance of the duties under subsection (a) of this section shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer product to conform with a written warranty, was caused by damage (not resulting from defect or malfunction) while in the possession of the consumer, or unreasonable use (including failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance). (d) Remedy without charge For purposes of this section and of section 2302© of this
title, the term "without charge" means that the warrantor may not assess the consumer for any costs the warrantor or his representatives incur in connection with the required remedy of a warranted consumer product. An obligation under subsection (a)(1)(A) of this section to remedy without charge does not necessarily require the warrantor to compensate the consumer for incidental expenses; however, if any incidental expenses are incurred because the remedy is not made within a reasonable time or
because the warrantor imposed an unreasonable duty upon the consumer as a condition of securing remedy, then the consumer shall be entitled to recover reasonable incidental expenses which are so incurred in any action against the warrantor.

So how does that mean my warranty isn't voided? If you go out and buy a brand new Razr, you root it and have no issues. No problems. Then a 6 weeks later, you plug in your headphones and all of a sudden, no sound is coming out of your head phones. Or the sound coming out of your speaker is crackling. Or your SIM/SD card door breaks off. Just because you rooted your phone, Motorola still has to honor the 1 year warranty pertaining to THOSE problems. They will STILL have to fix your headphone jack, THEY STILL have to install a new speaker and STILL have to give you a new SIM/SD card door.

A nice video posted in another thread about rooting and warranties from XDA-TV. Thanks to nailbomb3 and etrorteepe

Now, Let's Move on to newer developments: OEM Sanctioned Bootloader Unlocking

Motorola:

Motorola is offering to trade your legally afforded warranty in EXCHANGE for a bootloader unlock key. These keys are sent out via email, based on a unique token that you pull from your device. The terms of this trade are long, and boring. There is language such as:

1: You are entering into a legal agreement

2: We are not responsible for what you do with your device. You assume all risks associated with 

unlocking your device and/or altering its software.

3: Obtaining an unlock code voids all warranties. Once you get the unlock code, your device is n

longer covered by the Motorola warranty, or any other warranty provided with the device. Neither 
Motorola, nor your wireless carrier shall have any duty to provide warranty or customer support for 
unlocked devices. 

And, my favorite!

WARNING: MOTOROLA STRONGLY RECOMMENDS AGAINST UNLOCKING THE 

BOOTLOADER AND/OR MODIFYING OR ALTERING A DEVICE'S SOFTWARE OR 
OPERATING SYSTEM. DOING SO CAN HAVE UNINTENDED, UNFORESEEN, AND 
DANGEROUS CONSEQUENCES, SUCH AS RENDERING THE DEVICE UNUSABLE, 
VIOLATING APPLICABLE LAWS, OR CAUSING PROPERTY DAMAGE AND/OR BODILY 
INJURY, INCLUDING DEATH...

Attached Files

• kpeiczarek, etrorteepe, zephyrus14 and 13 others like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#2 Guest_jwmonroe0914_*

Guest_jwmonroe0914_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Well stated =]

Thank you :D

#3 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

I vote for this to be sticked, I learned something from this and I think EVERYBODY else will too.
  • StealthFox13 and tucstwo like this

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#4 zephyrus14

zephyrus14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Twitter:@johnmarciniak
  • LocationThe Region

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

Any homework for next class, professor? :D

Definitely a good write up.

#5 Guest_jwmonroe0914_*

Guest_jwmonroe0914_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

I vote for this to be sticked, I learned something from this and I think EVERYBODY else will too.

I second this =]
  • tucstwo likes this

#6 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm still scared to root my phone, lol. :)

#7 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

I saw a thread this morning get locked because people were arguing over rooting and warranty voiding and all that. I couldn't bare it anymore. I had to write something up. And yes, next class we'll be discussing Insurance Fraud! Whoooaa!!!

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#8 stupidchicken03

stupidchicken03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationIn the Sac of CA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

Well put together

#9 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

I can't comment on rooting and unrooting to go in for service. That is certainly an unethical practice. But just to be clear. Rooting doesn't in a broad sense "Void your entire warranty".

If you do root, and rooting directly causes an issue. Or if you run a rom and you brick you phone. Then No, you do not have a valid warranty claim with Moto. But, if you root your phone and something unrelated breaks. (battery cover, sim card door, speaker) then yes, you are still covered by your warranty. It's not just gone because you're rooted.

I'll put it like I did with another member through PM. Let's say you buy a new car. You decide to turbocharge it. Then, 6 weeks later the handle on your glove compartment breaks off. Guess what? Your warranty will replace that handle. Now, if you fry a piston, no your warranty will not cover a new engine for you. There is no way to broad spectrum void your entire warranty. Even if you drop it in the toilet, Moto STILL has to replace your sim card door and speaker. Thats the purpose of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. It affords the consumer protection from exactly that.

I know it may seem confusing because so many people have been told over and over again that rooting and roming voids your warranty but that not 100% true. It just prevents you from submitting a warranty claim IF you mess something up because you're rooted and/or romed. I hope that makes sense to everyone.
  • etrorteepe likes this

#10 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

I think the issue isn't whether or not rooting alone voids a warranty because obviously it does not.

However, 90% of the issues users have and the reason for their claim is a direct result of their modification of the system. Therefore, warranty voided.

In the end, yes, Motorola would have to prove the problem was caused by the user modification which is probably not worth the hassle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

#11 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

I think the issue isn't whether or not rooting alone voids a warranty because obviously it does not.

However, 90% of the issues users have and the reason for their claim is a direct result of their modification of the system. Therefore, warranty voided.

In the end, yes, Motorola would have to prove the problem was caused by the user modification which is probably not worth the hassle.

Altering system files voids the warranty.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

#12 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

there is a very simple answer to this discussion. Call moto from your house phone.. not your cell. ask them questions.. then after you get your answers .. Call Verizon.. and ask those same questions. after you get the answers come back and post them. simple you wont have any more ideas of what could and couldnt be.. you would know for a fact what IS
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#13 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

there is a very simple answer to this discussion. Call moto from your house phone.. not your cell. ask them questions.. then after you get your answers .. Call Verizon.. and ask those same questions. after you get the answers come back and post them. simple you wont have any more ideas of what could and couldnt be.. you would know for a fact what IS

Agreed.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

#14 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

No need to call. The op spells it out word for word. Modifications DO NOT void warranty automatically. No need for debates or opinions when it is in black and white.

• DarkOverDroid likes this

#15 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

No need to call. The op spells it out word for word. Modifications DO NOT void warranty automatically. No need for debates or opinions when it is in black and white.

Why is everyone saying, "no need to call?" Call them. The only reason you won't is because you know what they're going to say.

Altering system files voids warranty, rooting alters system files. You be the judge of that.

#16 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

I think what some people are misunderstanding is that there is a difference between a Voided Warranty and a Denied Warranty Claim.

1) A Voided warranty is one that is completely null. You can not get any repair service no way, no how under any circumstances. If you read your devices warranty, you will see it's quite hard to completely void it.

2) A Denied Warranty Claim on the other hand is what you will have if you root your phone or install a Rom and break it in the process. If you do brick because of altering the system files, Moto is within their right to not honor the warranty if you submit your bricked device for a system repair AND they can prove your modification caused the problem. Simply being rooted isn't reason to deny a claim, there has to be proof that root access caused the brick. While that's probably easy for them to prove, it is a requirement. Moto does takes time to point out that altering system files is not something covered IF you cause damage.

HOWEVER, if you have an issue with your rooted cell phone that does not have anything to do with the fact that you are rooted or have a rom installed they will indeed fix your phone.

I don't know why this concept is SO HARD to grasp for some folks. I thought it was spelled out pretty clear in the OP. I personally can't think of another way to explain it. There is almost NO such thing as a Voided warranty. There's no need to call Motorola or anyone else, they've been nice enough (an legally obligated) to provide a copy of the phones warranty for your review. I attached it to the OP if anyone would like to read it.

Side Note:
The Razr Developer Edition comes with a different warranty than our phones. Actually, it comes with a lack of a warranty. That's a device that is "As-Is". As-Is is another term people fail to get. When something is as-is, it's just that. It is what it is. If someone was to buy a brand new Razr Developer, open the box, plug it in and it doesn't turn on. You're SOL. Because you bought a device As-Is.
  • nailbomb3 and lightsword like this

#17 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Twitter:@DarkOverDroid
  • Google+:DarkOverDroid@gmail.com
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

If you Fastboot back to stock, then they have not one clue if you modified the system or not. On another note. Rooted or not, if there is a hardware defect, they will still honor the hardware side of the warranty. Yes I have discussed it with a Motorola and Verizon rep. I had a DROID X that the LCD went bad on, (A known defect on some X's where the screen would only function on the top portion with colored bars on the bottom) anyway, it was rooted and rommed when I took in to Verizon. ( Hell, In even jail broke the reps iPhone while I was there) They looked it over and told me that as long as the software I installed on the device didn't cause the damage, then there wouldn't be any problem getting a replacement. Which they gladly did at no charge, under warranty. If you brick it, well that's a whole different ballgame. The only thing I did (and I did it in the store with the rep watching) was restore my saved nandroid backup of the stock system, then completed a factory reset afterwards just as a precaution. For the nay Sayers. Yes I was able to access recovery and do a nandroid restore and factory reset with the screen messed up. Only the bottom half wasn't functioning properly. The top half where all the recovery info is displayed, worked.
  • nailbomb3 likes this
Posted Image

#18 nailbomb3

nailbomb3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:40 AM

Tucs is absolutely correct. Magnusson Moss applies here. They would have to prove that altering files caused the damage to the device to void the warranty.

Simply rooting the device or installing cm or aokp doesn't void your warranty. As much as they might like to tell you that.

In fact if you WERE to call them and they were to tell you that, that would be incorrect from a legal standpoint. The OP posted
the relevant statute. While they might LIKE to deny your warranty, that doesn't mean they can.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#19 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:03 AM

If you Fastboot back to stock, then they have not one clue if you modified the system or not.

This I believe.

When I had OG razr I fastbooted back to stock and after a few days I called Moto and talked about battery on the phone. I called from my RAZR and He mumbled something like phone was just activated (had phone over two months already). I said I did a factory reset a few days before, I'm sure he was digging through my phone as we spoke checking things out. Fastboot is your friend. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#20 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Twitter:@DarkOverDroid
  • Google+:DarkOverDroid@gmail.com
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

Well I've been laid off work for a while. Actually right after I purchased my MAXX. Being dumb and crackflashing to the not so safe .84 leak, I wind up bricking my RAZR. Being out of a job and having no other way of possibly getting another phone, and I needed one badly in case I had a job offering call me. Anyway I took it to my local Verizon store and explained to the rep exactly what I had done. It was stuck on the AP Fastboot screen. (This was before the guys here created a workaround) and he said man I done that a time or two. So the first thing I said was, I'm pretty much screw aren't I. And to my amazement, He said no. I can have a refurbish unit sent to your home I'm about two days. After I got over the shock, I asked him, won't I get in trouble if they check it and see what I've done to it. He said man, those people have so many phones that come in to get refurbished, that they don't take time to look for things like that. All they do is check for water damage then restore the devices firmware/software, package it back up, and send it back out as a warranty replacement for someone else. I'm still using my refurbished MAXX, no problem at all. Just a little story of my experience. Like it or not, I pay retail for all my phones, so I do what I do. :-)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users