Photo

HELP! Bricked my wife's phone!

droid razr safestrap bootloop

Best Answer johnthehillbilly , 15 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

The problem came when you installed safestrap within a ROM .... safestrap should only be installed on the stock slot :).... also just FYI .... you don't need Voodoo's OTA rootkeeper (since we have a reliable root method) ..... you can't have both safestrap and TWRP ..... IMO you should do like JL said above.... use Matt's utility, or Samuri's House of Moto to "nuke and repave"....

House of Moto ... http://www.droidrzr....-house-of-moto/

Matt's utility .... http://www.droidrzr....nux-all-in-one/

HD tappin' .... hillbilly style!!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 eolsgaard

eolsgaard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

Hi everyone, I'm a semi-amateur at rooting, and I'm worried I bricked my wife's Droid Razr MAXX. 

Here's what happened:

A year ago, I rooted her Razr and installed safestrap, which came with its TWRP interface. It had been running slow, so yesterday I said I'd put her on a new ROM. I installed CM 10.1.3 and everything seemed to go smoothly. After I'd finished the install of the ROM, using safestrap and TWRP, I reinstalled all her apps and everything. 

Then I reinstalled SuperSU, VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper, and Safestrap v2.11. I ran safestrap and noticed it said it didn't have custom recovery installed, even though I knew it did. I don't know why, but I hit the button to install custom recovery.

Well, her phone was being screwy so she reset it at work. It then began to bootloop, and she turned it off (power + vol up + vol down). I turned it on, the safestrap splash screen showed, and I hit "menu" to boot into recovery. 

Instead of TWRP, I am getting the green and black stock recovery screen. Uh oh, right? So I don't know what to do now. I wiped cache and dalvik to see if it'd reboot, but still, it bootloops. 

Do I hit "Disable Safestrap (if stuck in recovery)"? I'm afraid to do anything at this point, out of fear of bricking her device. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

#2 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 64GB, RAZR HD Maxx

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

Did you do all this to the unsafe (stock) side of the phone? If so I think Matt's utility or house of moto might be your only options (start all over.) If you created a slot...I'm confused as to why you would reinstall safestrap or voodoo OTA.
  • johnthehillbilly likes this

#3 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:26 AM   Best Answer

The problem came when you installed safestrap within a ROM .... safestrap should only be installed on the stock slot :).... also just FYI .... you don't need Voodoo's OTA rootkeeper (since we have a reliable root method) ..... you can't have both safestrap and TWRP ..... IMO you should do like JL said above.... use Matt's utility, or Samuri's House of Moto to "nuke and repave"....

House of Moto ...

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Matt's utility ....

• SamuriHL and jl90 like this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#4 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

Ummm, you also need to use a 3.x version of Safestrap. 3.11 was stable and now hashcode has a 3.6 out

• johnthehillbilly and jl90 like this

#5 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

Ummm, you also need to use a 3.x version of Safestrap. 3.11 was stable and now hashcode has a 3.6 out

Lol!! Good point...I assumed it was a typo. :)

#6 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

I was assuming it was a typo as well :)

• jl90 likes this

jhf.png

#7 eolsgaard

eolsgaard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

You guys are awesome.  

Okay, so to answer a few questions:

jl90: I did this all on in ROM slot 1.  (I don't have an answer for why I reinstalled safestrap or voodoo--just ignorance really.)  If I did this all in a ROM slot, is there a way to restore the stock ROM slot?  Unfortunately, this is the interface I'm looking at right now:

wph4.jpg

johnthehillbilly: This is exactly what I did, and exactly why I am a total moron.  And as for my mention of safestrap and TWRP, I was referring to the way safestrap interface appears to be TWRP.  Like in this picture: 

I might have gotten the terminology wrong :\

And as for the v2.11 thing, that's because I haven't done any work on this phone for like a year... probably should have updated her safestrap before trying to load up cm 10.1.

Thanks guys, you really are a lifesaver.

#8 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

If you run the utility that I linked to.... it will restore your phone to stock.... then you can root.... install safestrap 3.11... then start flashing ROMs again :)

• eolsgaard and jl90 like this

jhf.png

#9 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Hey man I really wasn't trying to bust your balls. If it came across that way I apologize. I was just trying to figure out what was up to try and help. It is a crappy feeling to think you broke a phone and we've all been there. I hope the utility gets it straightened out. :)

#10 eolsgaard

eolsgaard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

Hey man I really wasn't trying to bust your balls. If it came across that way I apologize. I was just trying to figure out what was up to try and help. It is a crappy feeling to think you broke a phone and we've all been there. I hope the utility gets it straightened out. :)

Oh no worries man, I'm just really glad you guys were able to help me!  I was worried I wasn't going to be able to explain my situation, but you all seemed to know exactly what I did.  I'm in the process of running the utility now.

Also, due to your awesomeness, instead of cm10, I will be flashing the latest rage rom back onto her phone  :D

• SoccerRef12 and jl90 like this

#11 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Oh no worries man, I'm just really glad you guys were able to help me!  I was worried I wasn't going to be able to explain my situation, but you all seemed to know exactly what I did.  I'm in the process of running the utility now.

Also, due to your awesomeness, instead of cm10, I will be flashing the latest rage rom back onto her phone  :D

Very cool! :)

#12 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,370 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

Just out of curiosity which utility did you decide to use to restore back to stock?

Non potest esse nisi unus

#13 eolsgaard

eolsgaard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

Just out of curiosity which utility did you decide to use to restore back to stock?

I decided to go with Matt's utility, which worked perfectly.  Zero hiccups!  I had House of Moto and RSD Lite in my back pocket just in case, but it all worked out fine!  Everything's back to stock (and she's fine with that).  I was able to restore all of her texts and apps too, so it's like it never happened.  

Tonight I'm going to re-root tonight and flash on Rage Rom  :D  I'm really pleased at how easily (and quickly) this was all fixed.  

• SamuriHL, johnthehillbilly and jl90 like this

#14 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

I decided to go with Matt's utility, which worked perfectly.  Zero hiccups!  I had House of Moto and RSD Lite in my back pocket just in case, but it all worked out fine!  Everything's back to stock (and she's fine with that).  I was able to restore all of her texts and apps too, so it's like it never happened.  

Tonight I'm going to re-root tonight and flash on Rage Rom  :D  I'm really pleased at how easily (and quickly) this was all fixed.

Just a bit of info...just in case... if you're going to flash RageRom be sure to use safestrap v3.11 not 3.60. Rage hasn't been updated to work with 3.6. :)

#15 Mooremayhem

Mooremayhem

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

Where do i get RageRom and how do you install it?  Yes, i'm new to rooting, strapping, roming, etc   :D .  I'm sure there a good sticky on this forum about how to select and install ROMs, and what you need to do before hand, but any advice is appreciated!  i just successfully rooted the phone today. i have a two year old droid razr (XT912) that i was about to throw in the garbage because of all the glitches, freezes, etc, but thought i would try to mess around with it first!  (and it has a cracked screen so i'll probably get a new phone soon anyway, except the $30 upgrade fee really pisses me off!!)

#16 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

(7/14/2013)#entry209407 RAGE ROM

bloodRAGE

Out Of the two....... I recommend bloodrage :)

Flashing instructions are in the OP of both threads :)

• jl90 likes this

jhf.png

#17 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

BTW.... if you do decide to garbage the good old RAZR ....... throw it my way LOL LOL

• jl90 likes this

jhf.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users