• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 looneytuned29

looneytuned29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

im not sure if I am allowed to post links but I found a petition on change.org to unlock the bootloader of the galaxy s4. I doubt that it will work but it's worth a shot. Verizon will highly unlikely do anything positive for the dev community but I signed it and I am asking you to do so as well.

http://www.change.or...ecommendations#

mods if this is not allowed or in the wrong place I apologize

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

That would be highly highly unlikely. They have a specific developer device with an unlocked bl that folks have paid for. If they went and unlocked them all there would be some serious lawsuits.

Sent from my Dev S4

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 looneytuned29

looneytuned29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

Just saw this today and I thought it was worth a shot. I didn't think about the dev edition lol. I had a s4 on mdk and the charging port messed up so my replacement is me7. Kinda sucks.

#4 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 Dev Edition

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:48 AM

Just saw this today and I thought it was worth a shot. I didn't think about the dev edition lol. I had a s4 on mdk and the charging port messed up so my replacement is me7. Kinda sucks.

This may be off topic so I apologize up front.  That being said, I have a noob question.  I have a dev S4 on Verizon.  With all the different versions out there (MDK, ME7, ME1) what version should a person with a dev phone stay away from...or does it make a difference?  Is there a danger of flashing a ROM built off lets say ME1 and having the bootloader locked as a result? One last question, I see a number of ROMs that advertise that it is "loki'd".  Does it make any difference on a dev phone since the bl is unlocked.  I lied, one more question-basically, what should I stay away from (other than a OTA from Verizon)?  Thanks guys for the help!!

#5 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:22 AM

I was under the impression that there is root for ME7. 

This may be off topic so I apologize up front.  That being said, I have a noob question.  I have a dev S4 on Verizon.  With all the different versions out there (MDK, ME7, ME1) what version should a person with a dev phone stay away from...or does it make a difference?  Is there a danger of flashing a ROM built off lets say ME1 and having the bootloader locked as a result? One last question, I see a number of ROMs that advertise that it is "loki'd".  Does it make any difference on a dev phone since the bl is unlocked.  I lied, one more question-basically, what should I stay away from (other than a OTA from Verizon)?  Thanks guys for the help!!

JP, this is a bit of a subject in itself.  There are several of us here that have been piecing together information regarding the Dev units.  We all know that we have a different kernel.  This, in itself, keeps us from getting the OTA's.  We are still on the MDK version while those on retail have received 2 updates.  Now, that is not a game ender, it still is not how things should run.  I, and a few others, have confronted Samsung about this, and short story is that it appears they do not intend to provide any updates to dev units.  That has us a bit warm under the collar.

• jpcalhoun likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#6 jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 Dev Edition

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

I was under the impression that there is root for ME7. 

JP, this is a bit of a subject in itself.  There are several of us here that have been piecing together information regarding the Dev units.  We all know that we have a different kernel.  This, in itself, keeps us from getting the OTA's.  We are still on the MDK version while those on retail have received 2 updates.  Now, that is not a game ender, it still is not how things should run.  I, and a few others, have confronted Samsung about this, and short story is that it appears they do not intend to provide any updates to dev units.  That has us a bit warm under the collar.

Thanks livinginkaos for the response.  I am currently running Eclipse TW 2.0 built off MDK.  I lost my stock kernel when I rooted my phone using a method that I thought was safe...noob mistake.  I am now running the ktoonsez TW kernel with PhilZ custom recovery.   I'd like to run a AOSP ROM but the more I think I've learned the more confused and cautious I am about flashing anything.  I have also inquired of Samsung about providing the necessary files to restore our phones back to factory stock...they haven't responded and their customer service treats the question like they might catch the HIV virus if they discuss or provide any helpful information.  It's sad that they marketed and sold a bl unlocked version of this great phone and now don't appear to want to support it.  It's a wonder Verizon will even let it on their network.  Thanks again for the info.

#7 looneytuned29

looneytuned29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

I am rooted but I only have the ability to flash certain roms that are safestrap compatible. Basically only tw roms.

#8 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

consider yourself lucky they came up with root

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users