#21 dskog57

dskog57

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr HD -Acer A-500- Kindle HD

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

Are we VERY sure that the 4.4 update will break root ???
I really need to know. I have used ota. Root keeper on past updates & saved root.
Please advise.

#22 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

Are we VERY sure that the 4.4 update will break root ???
I really need to know. I have used ota. Root keeper on past updates & saved root.
Please advise.

We are not VERY sure about anything at this point. We won't know anything until the update comes out and as of now there has been zero info

• dskog57 likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#23 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

It will break the current root method for sure. It's based on a kernel bug that's already been patched in the 4.4 code line.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Non potest esse nisi unus

#24 dskog57

dskog57

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

We are not VERY sure about anything at this point. We won't know anything until the update comes out and as of now there has been zero info

Thanks for the Info-I guess We wait to find out..

#25 dskog57

dskog57

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

It will break the current root method for sure. It's based on a kernel bug that's already been patched in the 4.4 code line.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

I for one am hoping that using the same tools we have used in the past to SAVE or Protect Root will work 1 more time. With the 4.4 OTA Push.

#26 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

I for one am hoping that using the same tools we have used in the past to SAVE or Protect Root will work 1 more time. With the 4.4 OTA Push.

Don't bet on it.  It did NOT work with the VZW S4 KK update.  I'd say it's possible, but, let someone with an unlocked phone try it first and confirm.  They can always root again if it no workie.  Those with a locked phone may not be able to if you can't downgrade, which is almost guaranteed with this OTA.

#27 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

Also, one other thing to consider.  If you manage to save root, that's great.  But what happens if you screw something up with root and need to FXZ for any reason?  Without a root exploit, you'd be stuck.  A one shot root (by protecting it through the upgrade) is a gamble.

#28 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

A gamble I took with my BIONIC before there was a JB root method, I might add.

#29 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

Yup, all it means is that if you have to FXZ, you lose root until (if) a root exploit is found.  Just something I like to make sure people consider.  

#30 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

Oh, trust me, I know - I was seriously worried that I'd never have a chance if I had to FXZ again, but the poor thing kept chugging along, albeit slowly, and then an exploit was found after all, so I was technically good.

But I sitll never FXZ'd the thing lol.  Just something that I lived with.

I also stopped using SS and BS and all the other methods for another ROM and stuck to pure stock, thereby minimizing my chances fo  something screwing up, too.  I'm sure that helped at least a bit in terms of not fracking things up to where I'd be forced to FXZ....

#31 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

But at least you knew ahead of time what the risk was.  Which is why I mention it to people when they say "I'll just keep root through the update".  Not everyone thinks ahead to the "ok, what if..." part of that.  Not being able to downgrade blows.

#32 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

lol yeah.  We knew the risks, thoug, because we specifically played around with our phones.  We put our phones on hte line so otehrs wouldn't run into the scenario blindly.

• SamuriHL likes this

#33 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

Soak it's downloading now

Sent from my S-Offed One M8

• johnthehillbilly likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#34 Einsteindks

Einsteindks

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

From what I've seen elsewhere, it's only 10MB; radio and build date are updated, maybe a bug or two fixed. Version is still 4.4. No .2 just yet. SO glad I'm jaded against updating! What an overall update fail!

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

#35 altspeed

altspeed

Director of National Stupidity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Twitter:@Pat_Droid
  • Google+:+Patrick Robinson
  • LocationDallas Texas
  • Current Device(s):RIP 8 & 16 GB Bionics, XT912 RAZR Maxx, XT907 RAZR M Current XT 1060 Motomaker Future Nexus 6

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:12 AM

What is this update for?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

"We are the People Verizon warned you about"

8 GB Bionic JB, 16 GB Bionic JB, Bionic Lapdock X2, Razr Maxx XT912 JB, Razr M XT907 JBLX

#36 altspeed

altspeed

Director of National Stupidity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Twitter:@Pat_Droid
  • Google+:+Patrick Robinson
  • LocationDallas Texas
  • Current Device(s):RIP 8 & 16 GB Bionics, XT912 RAZR Maxx, XT907 RAZR M Current XT 1060 Motomaker Future Nexus 6

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:22 AM

I've resigned myself to never having root on my locked 1060, but I've got it almost as slick as I would rooted anyway except for being able to use an outboard SD drive. My unlocked BL xt907 is the only thing I've still got except for Soraya's Bionic (that she won't figure out what she wants to replace it with) I can really have fun with, of course the bionic still has locked BL.....couldn't somebody put an fxz together of the 4.2,CDT.bin in the 4.4.2 update for people that understood how to use it? Then be able to fastboot back and forth with impunity like we did on the first bionic JB build? I know we can make a recovery image of or but is an sbf possible? Skrillex?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

"We are the People Verizon warned you about"

8 GB Bionic JB, 16 GB Bionic JB, Bionic Lapdock X2, Razr Maxx XT912 JB, Razr M XT907 JBLX

#37 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:07 AM

This latest update is nothing more than a bug update. We get the white status bar icons but overall it looks as if this update was to correct issues with roaming near the Canadian boarder.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users