Photo

How to get back to stock for OTA

Best Answer Hollywood67 , 05 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

I should've known to wipe davlik and cache before starting this journey. As always, I learn... I wasn't able to load the superuserSU pro version a few days ago. Just kept going through the 'root de la vega' to try and isolate what was breaking root. Did a factory data reset and started the process over again. Now successfully on 4.3 retained root and all.

Thanks so much for sticking with me through this!!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Hollywood67

Hollywood67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

I want to get back to stock so that i can get the last update and then re-root. my phone is not performing like it used too.I am sch-1545 android 4.2.2 1545VRUAME7 darkslide rom and have a few questions..

What do i need to do to prepare my device to remove this rom and get back to stock? unfroze knox and now what..

4.3 Rooted!!

#2 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Twitter:@JasonCollins23
  • LocationClarksville, TN
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock Rooted on 4.3/Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- Redemption Rom v6.1

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

First you need to upgrade to MI1, then you can go to 4.3 and retain root. Head over to XDA. We already have a big thread on how to do it. Basically you need to ODIN back to stock MI1 and root with De La Vega and change a param.sh file and use survival mode in SuperSU, then upgrade to 4.3 and retain root. 

Here is a link to the thread on XDA.

http://forum.xda-dev...=1#post47054838

Start at post 1.

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH TO FOLLOW THE POST TO A T!!! THERE CURRENTLY IS NO ROOT METHOD ON 4.3 IF YOU MESS UP. THIS IS GETTING YOU ROOT WHILE ON 4.2.2 MI1, THEN RETAINING THAT ROOT TO MOVE TO 4.3.

Posted Image

#3 Hollywood67

Hollywood67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

thanks for reply, I will study before i jump in and plan to report back...

EDIT

got MI1 just fine but am stuck trying to open FILENAME: rootdelavegajfltevzw.7z

can you provide a link to a mirror with a.zip file or instruct how to open..........

4.3 Rooted!!

#4 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock Rooted on 4.3/Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- Redemption Rom v6.1

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

If that's a zip file you need to extract the tar file from the zip and run the tar file in the pda section of ODIN.

Posted Image

#5 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

If that file is corrupted use this link to get a good file. It will be a zip and the tar is in the zip. Just extract and run in ODIN

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2487142

Posted Image

#6 Hollywood67

Hollywood67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:04 AM

I have been able to obtain root privileges but I cannot keep them. something keeps breaking root

#7 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

What's it saying? Did you leave survival mode on in SuperSU?

Posted Image

#8 Hollywood67

Hollywood67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

No, I have not gotten that far yet Here is where I have made it too:

Step 1 - Preparation

Quote:
First we need to prepare your device by returning it to a factory stock image to make sure all mods and system-related changes are removed (or OTA will fail)
  • Head over to this thread and download the VRUDMI1 Factory Image and flash via ODIN
  • Let your device boot back to OS and confirm everything is working as it should
  • Head over to this thread and root your device exactly as per instructions there
  • Let your device boot back to OS and confirm everything is working as it should and you have root access as well
  • Do Not apply any other mods or anything else until all steps in this guide are complete or OTA will fail!

Step 2 - Restoring One Modded File Back to Stock

Quote:
Next we need to restore one modded file that was necessary for the root method from the previous step back to stock in order to allow the OTA to complete successfully
  • Download the prepare_param.zip attachment I have in this post to your computer/device and unzip the prepare_param.sh file inside it
  • Move the prepare_param.sh file to your device SD card (internal or external doesn't matter)
  • Using app like Root Explorer, move the prepare_param.sh file from your SD card location to replace the one located already in /system/bin/
  • It should ask you if you want to replace the file (if it doesn't ask you are moving to the wrong location)
  • Once it is moved, set the permissions on that file to rwxr-xr-x (Important!)

Went to play store to purchase pro version of superuserSU and lost root. what am i doing wrong??

4.3 Rooted!!

#9 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

Don't use the stock image. You have to use the Root De La Vega image.

Posted Image

#10 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

I am going to assume you will have to take the route I did. Some have been able to get the stock image to take root while others couldn't. Looks like you are not going to be able to. You will need to use the Root De La Vega image like I did. This also means you won't be able to take the OTA. You will need to flash the 4.3 update zip in stock recovery. I have the 4.3 update zip to flash in stock recovery as well.

Posted Image

#11 Hollywood67

Hollywood67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

i have been using the image from de la vega. i think i understand you to mean the ota will not work for me and i will need to manually flash 4.3 in recovery, but it seems i am not there yet. Don't I need to be rooted first? I have gone through the de la vega root method three times now, maybe i will try again

4.3 Rooted!!

#12 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Yes, you need to be rooted. Are you rebooting the phone and removing the files and all like it says? That step is very important.

Posted Image

#13 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

Once the de la vega image is flashed you put the root files folder and the other file on the root of the internal storage with the ext sd card removed, reboot, wait for boot, then remove the files and reboot again. You're doing all that, right?

Posted Image

#14 Hollywood67

Hollywood67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

Yes. I think I have been following all instructions properly. It will root, but something breaks it. Trying to figure out what that is??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4.3 Rooted!!

#15 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hrmm. Never had that happen.

Posted Image

#16 Hollywood67

Hollywood67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

Had one mod leftover that I just deleted. Will try again later.

4.3 Rooted!!

#17 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

The flash should wipe any mod you had.. Anything frozen with Tit?

Posted Image

#18 Hollywood67

Hollywood67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Yea thats what I thought too. Ran a batch "defrost" on titu before starting las night

4.3 Rooted!!

#19 Hollywood67

Hollywood67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

During step three in the OP, when opening up superuserSU my phone breaks root. Can you help?

4.3 Rooted!!

#20 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

I can't see a reason why it would be doing that.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users