Photo

Getting back to stock while keeping data.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 HarielA4

HarielA4

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Current Device(s):XT875 Bionic

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

I have a Bionic that I flashed onto the 232 leak back before ICS got released for this device.  I would like to get back onto OTA and update to a newer OS.  I am interested in upgrading to JB on this device but I dont know if that would be a good idea.  So I would like some info on whether that would be a good idea.  Secondly, I would like to do this while keeping my data.  I remember reading about HoB being able to get a users device back to 509 and then upgrading to the OTA ICS and keep all the data.  In addition I would like to keep root.  Lastly I have Safestrap 3.60 installed.  I want to know if I need to remove SS recovery when I do the process whether it be moving directly to a JB system or if I have to roll back to an earlier version of Android and then do the OTA path.  I just want to have all my ducks in a row and make sure I understand the process before I perform it.  Thank  for all the help.

#2 HarielA4

HarielA4

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

Anyone out there that can help?

#3 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

Well...I think you are pretty much on the right track with HoB.....you can also read into the HouseofMoto as well....

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

to accomplish the same thing :)

"The force is strong with this one..."

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#4 HarielA4

HarielA4

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

Ive read thru the stoff about HoB and HoM.  None of that covers how to keep my user data and get back on OTA.  Also I would like some ideas as to wheather or not it would be better to upgrade to JB.

#5 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,069 posts
  • Twitter:lew_bklyn
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

uh there is no more "OTA" for the Bionic - all you need to do is protect root using either Voodoo Rootkeeper or HoB/HoM, and then flash the latest JB and restore root.  Why would you not want to go to JB?

The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#6 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,368 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

Ive read thru the stoff about HoB and HoM.  None of that covers how to keep my user data and get back on OTA.  Also I would like some ideas as to wheather or not it would be better to upgrade to JB.

Wait, WHAT?  "None of that covers..."  ????  That's the EXACT POINT of the HoB and now HoM.  I think we need to step back for a moment and clear some things up.

o) FXZ...this refers to a file that contains ALL the partitions for your phone for a specific version of the OS.

o) The House of Bionic (now retired) and House of Moto contain scripts to work with an FXZ to flash all partitions on your phone and can be used as an upgrade mechanism to go from ANY older version to the FXZ version.  This *DOES NOT* allow going backwards from new versions to old. Once you take an update, either OTA or flashing it via FXZ, you will be stuck on that version or newer.

o) The Bionic has root available for all versions of the OS

o) There will not be any updates beyond 4.1.2.  That's not to say there won't ever be another update....they could update for security, but, no new functionality will be added if they do, and they will likely break root.

o) The House of Bionic (now retired) and House of Moto contain scripts to perform a full FXZ (erases everything) or a KEEP DATA (um, keeps your data).  However, root will be lost as the system partition is overwritten when flashing an FXZ.  Re-root with easyroot if you decide to go to 4.1.2.

I would probably go to 4.1.2, use easyroot to root it, then install the latest SS and rom away.  I would update using the House of Moto's KEEP DATA script for the xt875.  

• matjmonk, B.E.McAllister, johnthehillbilly and 1 other like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#7 HarielA4

HarielA4

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for that.  I posted in your HoM post asking about which way I should go but the last post answered that.  Thanks again.

• SamuriHL likes this

#8 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,368 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

No problem.  If you need any help, post here or in the HoM thread and we'll see what we can do.

#9 HarielA4

HarielA4

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Actually I have an additional question.  There are some games that I have that identify by the Android ID on my device.  Does this change my Android ID number?  If yes is there a method to keep that from changing?

#10 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,368 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

If you use the keep data option it shouldn't touch that at all.

#11 HarielA4

HarielA4

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

So I finally finished performing the update to JB on my Bionic.  Everything runs ok.  Looking at 2 different roms to flash.  Gameblur and Raging Bionic.  I dont want to flash over the stock rom and want to take advantage of the slots on safestrap.  When I try to change slots it asks me to choose the data partition size.  Im not sure how this all works.  I thought the other slots would still use the existing user data partition.  How do I choose what size to use.  I have a 8GB microSD in the phone now.  It shows that I have 2646MB free space.  Can anyone educate me please?  Thanks.

#12 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

You need to choose a size.... it will create an image on your internal storage (in a folder called safestrap).... this is where your ROM will live (including all your apps, etc that you install on that ROM ).....

"The force is strong with this one..."

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#13 mrlolli

mrlolli

Put Member Title Here

• Developer
  • 763 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

it will make the slots with your internal memory, not your sd card. i myself always make 1 gig slots, that way you can take advantage of all 4 slots on the safe side (assuming you dont have an awful lot  on your internal memory). that way, you can try up to 4 different roms at once without worrying about having to select one in particular.

• matjmonk likes this

2qa7hv4.jpg

Nice job on the signature, jl90...thanks! 

#14 mrlolli

mrlolli

Put Member Title Here

• Developer
  • 763 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

lets say that all of your apps are in rom a, in slot 1. you install rom b in slot 2 and you would like to bring all of your apps over to rom b. go into rom a and install titanium backup from the play store. once you have that running, back up all of the apps that you downloaded from the play store(select backup apps and data). when that is all done, switch over to rom b, reinstall titanium backup from the play store. this time, select restore apps and data, and when it is done, it will have copied all of your apps right over like they were on rom a. only do backups and restores of apps that you downloaded from the play store, because trying to backup and restore system apps and data can make things pretty dicey  :)

• matjmonk and johnthehillbilly like this

2qa7hv4.jpg

Nice job on the signature, jl90...thanks! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users