#61 Board373

Board373

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr Maxx HD

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

Sure I understand that.  BUT, what happens if that phone ever needs to be FXZ'd due to doing something with root that borks the phone?  At that point you'd lose root as there's no way to save it through an FXZ and no new root exploit.  I just want you to think ahead, that's all.  If you're comfortable with that, no problem.  On your phone, I'd be willing to bet the safestrap install is messing with the OTA in some way but without knowing what error you're getting when you flash the OTA it's hard to tell.

Couldn't I still FXZ back to before this and root, take update the restore root like now? Maybe I'm missing something...

#62 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,447 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Couldn't I still FXZ back to before this and root, take update the restore root like now? Maybe I'm missing something...

You are missing something, yes.  Once you take the OTA, you can't revert to a previous version. So no, that idea won't work at all and why I'm raising this issue with you.  The security of this new version prevents you from flashing anything previous which is why the motochopper 1.3 root exploit no longer works and will prevent you from downgrading to an old version.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#63 Board373

Board373

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

You are missing something, yes.  Once you take the OTA, you can't revert to a previous version. So no, that idea won't work at all and why I'm raising this issue with you.  The security of this new version prevents you from flashing anything previous which is why the motochopper 1.3 root exploit no longer works and will prevent you from downgrading to an old version.

Ah ok I didn't know that. At this point im in it for the long haul so I'll just have to hope voodoo works as expected.

#64 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,447 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Ah ok I didn't know that. At this point im in it for the long haul so I'll just have to hope voodoo works as expected.

That's fine.  Just make sure you don't screw up the stock partition as there's no getting root back if you lose it on that OTA.  You can hope there'll be a new root exploit but there's no guarantees.

#65 Board373

Board373

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

That's fine.  Just make sure you don't screw up the stock partition as there's no getting root back if you lose it on that OTA.  You can hope there'll be a new root exploit but there's no guarantees.

Ok sounds good. Thank you very much for the heads up. I am using your fastboot method as we speak so much thanks!

• SamuriHL likes this

#66 sspartan

sspartan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNY
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

My wife has the same phone with root but never had safestrap installed. She was able to take update and restore root through voodoo no problem.

I have never installed safestrap and have the same upgrade issue as you. It seems to affect some phones that are rooted, some say they are able to upgrade and keep root others are not able, even after FDR. Not sure why some phones are having this issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#67 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,447 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

I have never installed safestrap and have the same upgrade issue as you. It seems to affect some phones that are rooted, some say they are able to upgrade and keep root others are not able, even after FDR. Not sure why some phones are having this issue.

The issue never stems from being rooted, rather what people DO with being rooted. Any changes made to system files (freezing, modifying, deleting, etc) will cause an update to fail.  Just being rooted will not cause an update to fail.  FDR only deletes the user data partition and leaves all system files the same, so, no, that will not fix anything.  The system partition has to be returned to full stock before the update will take.  It's not just about safestrap...although that does make modifications to the system partition that have to be undone before the OTA will work....it's about anything done with root that modifies system.

• Devilalwayscries likes this

#68 Devilalwayscries

Devilalwayscries

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Device(s):droid razr maxx hd, og droid razr

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

Samuri board373 is all set rooted and "up to date" I think his problem. Was he used a older XML file that's caused his issues with with update people fastbooting to take newest update make sure you check your build number on phone in settings and match it up with the build number in sbf devs. Especially you locked foke Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
  • SamuriHL likes this

#69 sspartan

sspartan

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNY
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

The issue never stems from being rooted, rather what people DO with being rooted. Any changes made to system files (freezing, modifying, deleting, etc) will cause an update to fail. Just being rooted will not cause an update to fail. FDR only deletes the user data partition and leaves all system files the same, so, no, that will not fix anything. The system partition has to be returned to full stock before the update will take. It's not just about safestrap...although that does make modifications to the system partition that have to be undone before the OTA will work....it's about anything done with root that modifies system.

I never deleted any files and unfrozen all sys apps and the update still failed, so I really don't know what is causing my phone to fail.

#70 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,447 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

I never deleted any files and unfrozen all sys apps and the update still failed, so I really don't know what is causing my phone to fail.

As I said earlier, I'd need to see the error to know why it's failing.  I'm almost 100% positive it's failing an assertion.

#71 mudvayne622

mudvayne622

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

Mine keeps failing also. No error code or anything. All bloat unfrozen. No changes made on system level. How do i get into stock recovery? after the Android with the spinning thing in its belly is goes to the android with the red triangle and then reboots. I had already Flashed back to stock recovery using Tucs recovery utility V6. but i cant seem to get into recovery. whats the button combinatin when you see the android with the red triangle with Exclemation point?

Droid RAZR Maxx HD Unlocked/Rooted (JB Stock 4.1.2)

#72 mudvayne622

mudvayne622

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

i figured out recovery. wish i knew why it was failing. im just going to freeze the updater. i dont know what else to do

#73 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,447 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

Those that have the update failing should consider downloading it to their sdcard and manually flashing it in recovery.  Then you can see what the error is.

• mudvayne622 likes this

#74 Devilalwayscries

Devilalwayscries

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

Those that have the update failing should consider downloading it to their sdcard and manually flashing it in recovery. Then you can see what the error is.

hey sorry I'm sure your sick of talking about the update but I'm trying to help A guy on Google + to get the update and he sent me this post " I couldn't root it because it seems there is no way to do it after updating the 9.18.74. I tried several methods but none worked. And now I can't even go to recovery mode. When I press the volume up to enter, it immediately reboots. What I did to fix it was "fastboot -w" from my computer. I downloaded again the file, tried to install it with no success. Ideas? Can I try to install the update with adb or fasboot?" after I told him to clear cache and try redownloading the update... he told me he was never rooted before this post.. any suggestions?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

#75 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,447 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

hey sorry I'm sure your sick of talking about the update but I'm trying to help A guy on Google + to get the update and he sent me this post " I couldn't root it because it seems there is no way to do it after updating the 9.18.74. I tried several methods but none worked. And now I can't even go to recovery mode. When I press the volume up to enter, it immediately reboots. What I did to fix it was "fastboot -w" from my computer. I downloaded again the file, tried to install it with no success. Ideas? Can I try to install the update with adb or fasboot?" after I told him to clear cache and try redownloading the update... he told me he was never rooted before this post.. any suggestions?

First off, there *IS NO WAY TO ROOT THIS UPDATE* if you're on a locked phone.  So we can stop trying to do that.  Second, to fix that problem they should take a trip through my House of Moto (and contrary to popular belief, attempting to pay me to remote into your machine to do it for you is not really all that motivating LMAO...inside joke....uh anyway) with the FXZ for this version.  If they use the KEEP DATA script they won't lose their data.  But they CAN NOT root this.

• livinginkaos likes this

#76 Devilalwayscries

Devilalwayscries

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

First off, there *IS NO WAY TO ROOT THIS UPDATE* if you're on a locked phone. So we can stop trying to do that. Second, to fix that problem they should take a trip through my House of Moto (and contrary to popular belief, attempting to pay me to remote into your machine to do it for you is not really all that motivating LMAO...inside joke....uh anyway) with the FXZ for this version. If they use the KEEP DATA script they won't lose their data. But they CAN NOT root this.

He was trying to root .74 not .94 or 9.30 ota... rooting after update wasn't mentioned at all cause I already told him it won't happen until a new exploit (if ever) but no i only asked him about root because people like to freeze things and then wonder why ota won't work... anyways so just send him to house of moto and have him restore.. then try to push the update through again?

#77 mudvayne622

mudvayne622

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

Those that have the update failing should consider downloading it to their sdcard and manually flashing it in recovery.  Then you can see what the error is.

And i get it onto my sdcard how? Im more than willing to give it a try

#78 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,447 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

He was trying to root .74 not .94 or 9.30 ota... rooting after update wasn't mentioned at all cause I already told him it won't happen until a new exploit (if ever) but no i only asked him about root because people like to freeze things and then wonder why ota won't work... anyways so just send him to house of moto and have him restore.. then try to push the update through again?

Ah, ok.  You'll have to forgive me.  I've had some, uh, troubling issues with people trying to root the new updates today.

Depends on what his end game is.  If he just wants the update and knows he can't get root, the HoM can be used with the latest update to take him directly there without losing data.  That's the easiest way.  If he wants to get back to stock to try to root 79 and protect it before he updates, he can use the HoM with the previous FXZ and try that....assuming no files from the new OTA have flashed at all.

#79 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,447 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

And i get it onto my sdcard how? Im more than willing to give it a try

Need to find the OTA update zip for download or if you're rooted, you can copy it from your /cache dir to your sdcard-ext.  Then in recovery select apply update from external (Or however it's worded in your recovery). Then pick the zip from your sdcard and you're good to go.  I'll need the COMPLETE error message.  Telling me it's an error 7 is like telling me that today is Monday.  :)  

• Devilalwayscries likes this

#80 Devilalwayscries

Devilalwayscries

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Ah, ok. You'll have to forgive me. I've had some, uh, troubling issues with people trying to root the new updates today.

Depends on what his end game is. If he just wants the update and knows he can't get root, the HoM can be used with the latest update to take him directly there without losing data. That's the easiest way. If he wants to get back to stock to try to root 79 and protect it before he updates, he can use the HoM with the previous FXZ and try that....assuming no files from the new OTA have flashed at all.

Ah OK cool... I tell him and have him decide what he wants to do... I guess what threw me off was him saying he couldn't enter recovery it would just reboot.. I thought there was a bigger problem there. Was going to send him to HoM anyways he will be no.3 lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users