5 replies to this topic

#1 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Again, since I'm seriously considering going to GN3 when my upgrade date comes along, I would like to know about the bootloader; esp on this phone:

I've heard that there is an app to unlock BLs, but I don't know its name & while I'm an old hand at rooting & flashing roms & such, I do not know about how unlocking a BL would affect things like Recovery, & flashing roms, making a nand backup, etc.

I don't want to get the latest & greatest only to brick it… so any pointers or links would be most appreciated.
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#2 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Device(s):S6 (sm-g920f), Moto XT1575(waiting)

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

As of today the Bootloader is Locked on Verizon, all we have is Root and we also have Recovery through Safestrap that allows us to create nandroids and flash ROMs, etc. There is talk out of an app through Kingo that is suppose to unlock the Bootloader for numerous devices maybe that is what you have heard about a push button solution of an unlocking bootloader tool, as Kingo currently provides Root for dozens of devices. There are spyware/malware/identity concerns with their software at the moment which you should be aware of as well. But there is nothing to be worried or concerned about buying a brick. gl!

If you like this signature click on the Marvel logo this one is from Thor: The Dark World-> copy the html link to your signature in my settings-> Enjoy!

#3 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

kachow, tnx for the reply- I may be being dense, but what did you mean about not worrying about buying a brick?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#4 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

also, to which version of root are you referring? de la vega, or kingo?

there are reports relating to issues w/the safety in using kingo i.e. it gives access to your personal info, & another sources say that it 'merely' triggers a warning in some software checking apps…

also, is the root you mention good for after the recent upgrade?

Inquiring potential GN3 upgraders want to know…

tia,
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#5 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Device(s):S6 (sm-g920f), Moto XT1575(waiting)

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

I don't want to get the latest & greatest only to brick it… so any pointers or links would be most appreciated.

^^^ That was my reference to the "brick" comment. Nothing to worry about. Knox has been disabled by Verizon so there is no defensive counters on the Note 3, to be concerned about either.

Root de la Vega is obsolete as it was only useful for the Note 3 on the I9 before the OTA, after the OTA the links were taken down. After the OTA with MJ7 there really hasn't been any break throughs in Root, there have desperate resorts to Kingo and Vroot all of which farm data during the root process as mentioned earlier. These 2 Root methods are the only available ways to gain New Root going forward on either Verizon or AT&T with the Note 3 (keep in mind if looking at the Note 3 on AT&T there is no Recovery as of yet.) Verizon does have Safestrap recovery which is a huge advantage, right now. If considering the device the popular Root vote tends to go towards Kingo check out their website for more info at www.kingoapp.com .

If you like this signature click on the Marvel logo this one is from Thor: The Dark World-> copy the html link to your signature in my settings-> Enjoy!

#6 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

kachow, if it is A-OK, how come xda won't allow links to it? I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but I can't afford probs w/something that will affect my PC, as well as the phone.

Then the investment consideration- I can't afford to get a phone that will get bricked, & while it is a great phone, not having root is not an option…

Where in that site do they address the issue & that it has been fixed?

Thanks in advance, I do appreciate your help, I'm just trying to be careful…

BTW, do you. or does anyone here know if having a developer version of the GN3 would circumvent the rooting problem w/the de la vega or any other root besides Kingo, the folks at Android Central reported that the Kingo app takes your IMEI & that doesn't sound secure or safe...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users