• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 EliC

EliC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

I had high hopes when Google bought Motorola that they would help steer the company in the right direction. However, I don't see it.

The Moto X is headed in the right direction, as is Moto Maker. However they are now releasing the Moto G, and they continue to have Verizon exclusives (contract?) with the Mini, Ultra and Maxx.

They need to land somewhere between Apple and Samsung.

Apple releases 1 (ok now 2) flagship phones and keeps focused on the phone. They don't make a different low cost phone but sell the old model as the low cost variant (duh).

Samsung has numerous variations on the same phone. To many IMHO.

Motorola should release 3 base variations (4", 5", 6") of a flagship phone either annually, or biannually with latest greatest specs (1080 screen, powerful CPU, etc).

Commit to updating the OS for 2 years within 60 days of updates to Android.

Sell last years model as the inexpensive variant.

Allow more customization in Moto Maker (in addition to current options):

- Battery Size (4" - 2000 or 3000, 5" - 3000 or 4000, 6" 4000 or 5000)

- Screen material (gorilla glass vs sapphire)

- material (kevlar, plastic, wood)

- camera 

- slide out keyboard (like the original droid line)

Laser focus on the user experience. Touch screen reaction times, stability, speed, etc...

Killer features are needed. The always listening is a good start (though kind of creepy too). Nokia has hit the nail on the head with their camera. I have heard more non-tech people talking about the 1020 then any other phone. The public is clamoring for a GREAT camera in their smart phone. Maybe a separate camera processor (ie Nikon Expeed)

Nearly edge to edge screen (2mm or less on each side)

Minimize area above and below the screen (10mm or less above and below the screen - focus on small overall footprint of the phone)

Continue with great build quality and amazing radios and phone quality (only Moto phones can actually be used as phones).

Ok, so you "have" to lock the boot loader. Just don't be so good at it.

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

You should join

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 EliC

EliC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

The Moot topic is all over the place. I would like to have a more focused discussion on this topic.

#4 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

The Moot topic is all over the place. I would like to have a more focused discussion on this topic.

Understandable... I just mentioned it because this same subject had been beaten like a dead horse in the Moot and Community threads at different times. Also some of those who frequent those threads don't usually get around to the rest of the forums very often. Was just throwing it out there in case you were unaware of the moot thread.  :)

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#5 etrorteepe

etrorteepe

Not a Belieber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 5

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

I think Moto is making a big mistake launching phones in October, not on the latest version of Android, shortly before yet another version of Android comes out in November on the Nexus.

AFAIK the Moto X launched on 4.2.2 when 4.3 had been out since July 24.  4.4 is already out and it's still not on 4.3 yet.  I realize 4.3 didn't add much, but it's still 2 major versions behind.  

I was a die hard Motorola fan for years, but the Droid RAZR killed it for me.  They took close to 7 months to get it to ICS, and about 8 months to get it to Jellybean.  Totally unacceptable for a phone company that is hemorrhaging money and trying to gain market share.      

• chefed24 likes this

#6 chefed24

chefed24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Twitter:@EdSadler
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

I personally think Motorola has started gaining ground with the last few phones. I own the Droid MAXX and it is hands down better than any phone I've had or come across ( have no personal experience with NEXUS 5 but soon will)

#7 etrorteepe

etrorteepe

Not a Belieber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 5

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hopefully Motorola turns things around (I've always felt their phones had the best radios).  It will take a few years of reasonably fast software updates to build up a track record for me to consider them again.  Time will tell.  

#8 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
  • Twitter:lew_bklyn
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:26 AM

Never had huge loyalty to moto though I did own the original star tac..yeah I'm old...anyhoo had the og HTC incredible which didn't live up to its name at all. Got the bionic. Beast. But then moto starts going in this weird direction with proprietary chipset and questionable marketing decisions. Couple that with vzw wanting phones locked down tighter than a Victorian chastity belt and I'm off to nexus 5 land in a couple of weeks. I won't miss locked bootloaders and unknown timeframe for updates. That's for sure. Pretty sure tmo or att will be just fine in NYC not sure when I go down to sc to visit the in-laws but time will tell. Oh and moto g? I guess I see where they're going with that but for me? Meh

sent from my beantastic almost retired Bionic

The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#9 EliC

EliC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

I would not say I am loyal to Moto at all. But I do like the quality of their phones as phones (everyone else forgets a smartPHONE is a phone), and I still need to make calls.

I am encouraged by the speed at which they are getting 4.4 out for the Moto X.

Few other things they can do:

Get rid of carrier bloat (apple doesn't have to put up with that)

Unlockabe (and relockable) bootloaders for all phones when requested (and thus void warranty)

• altspeed likes this

#10 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

Neither of those are going to happen.

• altspeed and livinginkaos like this
The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#11 EliC

EliC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:48 AM

I disagree. Just look at the resent change in bootloader/warranty policy.

What do others think Moto can do?

#12 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,113 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

Right that was for Dev editions only. Which is great. Ain't gonna see that on all consumer phones. Carrier bloat is staying too unless all moto phones are gpe or Dev editions.

sent from my hammerhead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users