[Win] Judge Rules In Favor Of Htc, Against Apple

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

While this is obviously not RAZR specific, it is definitely news worthy.

HTC has won their patent battle against Apple. The judge in the UK case finally used common sense and found that HTC does NOT infringe on the 4 patents that Apple was accusing them of. The obvious one being the "slide-to-unlock" patent. The judge stated and I quote that it was an "obvious" enhancement of other technology stemming from devices way before Apples iPhone.

HTC released a statement following the finding:

HTC is pleased with the ruling, which provides further confirmation that Apple's claims against HTC are without merit. We remain disappointed that Apple continues to favor competition in the courtroom over competition in the marketplace.

Of course, Apple had to release this ridiculous statement:

We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours.

Seriously!?!

Let's review a few things here about "stealing/borrowing" technology that isn't yours. Thanks to Levi Wilcox for the pic.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Let the discussion begin! Keep it clean and civilized or this thread WILL be locked and or deleted.

Original article can be found here:

Edited by spc_hicks09, 05 July 2012 - 04:00 PM.

• lightsword and ohaaron like this

#2 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

:D Taco!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Twitter:iDroidGuy
  • Google+:Stephen Wilmot-Doxey
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Time for the ruling in favor of Samsung again

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
If you'd like to buy me a Mountain Dew just PM me for my PayPal info. Thanks :)

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#3 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Time for the ruling in favor of Samsung again

I just can't believe Apple actually said "competitors should come up with their own original technology and not steal ours." Do they really think all that technology is theirs?? lol

#4 OlDirtyGrizzly

OlDirtyGrizzly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationNewburgh, NY

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

i swear apple is just getting to crazy. THIS!!! is why when i am at work i push droids over iphones. Is apple trying to turn into the hilter of mobile phones and devices!! WTH!! Glad to see some justice is getting served with common sense!
  • nepatriots21 likes this

#5 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

WHEN YOU CAN NO LONGER INNOVATE, IT'S TIME TO LITIGATE.

• _base2, IAmTheHuff, joeyx2 and 1 other like this

#6 IAmTheHuff

IAmTheHuff

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

We had all better watch out before we face our own litigation from Apple, they have Al Gore on their board of directors.

And as we all know he invented the internet. LOL!

#7 joshpennington

joshpennington

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

I wish Apple would just give up on the suing everybody about Android. You borrowed from them, they borrowed for you. Why not put all that time, money, energy and resources into making better products. Not trying to litigate your way into being the only game in town.

Let's face it. iOS is boring. They have made very incremental changes since it's creation. When the rest of the world was making widgets or live tiles, Apple has been suing everybody and crying that everybody stole their idea to unlock a phone by swiping your finger across the screen. they stopped all innovating years ago. They have the market cornered with people who don't want to think about how a phone works. Let us have the phones we like.

You didn't like us when we had iPhones anyways. You fought us tooth and nail over us jailbreaking and unlocking our phones. Leave us alone and we will leave you alone. I don't know about anyone else here, but I support multiple iOS devices for my wife and a few other people in my social circle, so you don't really need to worry about not making any money.

I also wish Google would just get involved. Let's have the legal battle that we all know is going to happen eventually. Apple vs. Google. Can't we just settle this once and for all?
  • Hero_Indeed likes this

#8 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

Steve Job's vision was always driven by his desire to create more than a brand; he wanted to create a culture and he succeeded, for the most part. The only problem is that every cultural ideal has the potential to breed fanaticism and we see that with Apple. They believe their product is superior, not by virtue of capabilities or specifications, but simply because it's a representation of their cultural ideal. And, dang it, why can't we poor slobs just see things the right (Apple) way? Why can't we realize the error of our ways and leave the darkness of Android for the light of Apple?

It really is a shame when you begin to believe your own propaganda.

No wonder the forbidden fruit of the Garden of Eden is always portrayed as an apple.

• AlistairChiss, lightsword and nepatriots21 like this

#9 _base2

_base2

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

I know about the language rules and everything but honestly... ____ APPLE.

They are trying to deliberately get people into iPhone contracts instead of android contracts... obviously. But in California, the Anti-SLAPP laws in California will likely garner quite a bit more if Google gets involved more deeply in Samsung's defense and Apple loses to end up with a countersuit. "Frivolous" lawsuits are not tolerated in CA, hence the $98M bond, but if they don't win Google and Samsung can file countersuits under Anti-SLAPP and take a bite out of that $97B worth of cash that Apple has lying around...
[ sent from _base2 ]

#10 GeXX

GeXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Twitter:gexx

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

One of the best responses I have seen is, I get that apple likes to control their own platform, and tell your customers what do to, but who are you to try to control other companies, and what they do, and who the heck are you to tell me what phone I can't buy because you have a issue with it.

Basically it's one thing to put their walled garden to their customers that choose to use them, but to apply that to the entire mobile market is just messed up... Without getting to colorful.

And one of the theories to why apple is really digging in now is messed up, apparently for the next phone they can't get enough good quality batteries so it may be delayed.

#11 OlDirtyGrizzly

OlDirtyGrizzly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationNewburgh, NY

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

When i think of al gore..i think of manbearpig lol

#12 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

Steve Job's vision was always driven by his desire to create more than a brand; he wanted to create a culture and he succeeded, for the most part. The only problem is that every cultural ideal has the potential to breed fanaticism and we see that with Apple. They believe their product is superior, not by virtue of capabilities or specifications, but simply because it's a representation of their cultural ideal. And, dang it, why can't we poor slobs just see things the right (Apple) way? Why can't we realize the error of our ways and leave the darkness of Android for the light of Apple?

It really is a shame when you begin to believe your own propaganda.

No wonder the forbidden fruit of the Garden of Eden is always portrayed as an apple.

This is a good post and I agree 100%

#13 Armus

Armus

The Skin of Evil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

I have spoken to icrap people several times about their choice and the message from them is pretty consistent. They tell me that they don't want a complicated phone. They just want something simple that they can use and do what they want.

It sounds ridiculous really - but then I had to realize that most people are and choose to be, techno-idiots. I guess their lives are too complicated for them to struggle with learning how to put a widget on their home screen. They choose not to learn just as kids today would rather watch a movie than read a book.

It's not hard to believe that Droid people are the minority because it takes more effort to work these devices than icrap. It was even more of a shock to me to realize that folks who mod their phones, like the fine people on this site, are a much much smaller minority.

I don't have the numbers but of the millions of Razrs sold, this board probably has less than 10,000 readers. That's not even one percent of the market. So while we applaud any ruling against icrap, we should keep in mind that most of our own fellow droid users choose not to be as techno-adept as ourselves. Even I am in awe of some people's abilities with these devices (i.e. Matt) though I could learn if I wanted to dedicate the time.

So while we think apple is bad and its users are sheep, we must realize that not everyone chooses the path that we have. It doesn't make us right and them wrong or bad. They chose differently based on their life. All we can do is show them the door. They must choose to walk through it.
  • lilglass and got556 like this

#14 etrorteepe

etrorteepe

Not a Belieber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 5

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

The problem is really rooted in the US PTO. The PTO keeps awarding Apple these ridiculous software and design patents, and in turn, Apple uses these as ammo in court. If the PTO would stop granting these ridiculous patents, Apple wouldn't have anything to sue with.
  • got556 likes this

#15 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

The problem is really rooted in the US PTO. The PTO keeps awarding Apple these ridiculous software and design patents, and in turn, Apple uses these as ammo in court. If the PTO would stop granting these ridiculous patents, Apple wouldn't have anything to sue with.

Didn't they patent the on/off switch? DANG IT!

#16 ElementR

ElementR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

I'm not a fanboy of any manufacturer or product and I am not a fan of anything Apple.

Im glad the judge ruled in favor of HTC. Im tired of Apple suing anyone they possibly can for frivolous reasons.

#17 zachjeep

zachjeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Didn't they patent the on/off switch? DANG IT!

You should get on that! Then sue apple

#18 Rycix

Rycix

Bouncing Ball Of Energy / Android Rescue Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA
  • Current Device(s):XT912

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

I just can't believe Apple actually said "competitors should come up with their own original technology and not steal ours." Do they really think all that technology is theirs?? lol

Yes. Its apple. Make everyone believe its theirs, they'll want to buy the "original". Mac became popular because they "don't get PC viruses". A wordplay that let apple keep that sign up on their site until recently. Now the people that believed that are the people working at apple saying that everyone else is copying them.

On a side note, KOA ROM is lasting me on only 4g for a whole day on OG Razr. (50% at end of day). Nice job Hicks! Running smooth and fast.
Droid Razr XT912, cooling down with ICS on 6.16.211

Posted Image

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#19 biop7

biop7

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

The next thing their going to rip from Android than try claiming was their own will be Swype!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users