Joshuamink

xt907er

• Superuser
  • 92 posts
  • Twitter:@joshmink
  • LocationOHIO
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR M

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

So, I have been thinking about the whole situation with the locked bootloaders that are standard on anything from Verizon. I understand with Safestrap it creates new folders, and boots the /system from another location, but still uses the /boot partition for kernel, as it's locked, which stops so much development. Well my question is, if you're rooted, we have access to the whole filesystem, couldn't there be a way to manipulate, while booting, where the kernel is picked up from, where you could leave /boot and /recovery intact, but just never use them. Am I barking up the wrong tree. I just figured it was a thought.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

#2 Joshuamink

Joshuamink

xt907er

• Superuser
  • 92 posts
  • LocationOHIO

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Title should say *devs not deal

#3 jvasquezhhi

jvasquezhhi

Frankensteiner

• Developer
  • 330 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M (XT907) Retail (unlocked)

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

So, I have been thinking about the whole situation with the locked bootloaders that are standard on anything from Verizon. I understand with Safestrap it creates new folders, and boots the /system from another location, but still uses the /boot partition for kernel, as it's locked, which stops so much development. Well my question is, if you're rooted, we have access to the whole filesystem, couldn't there be a way to manipulate, while booting, where the kernel is picked up from, where you could leave /boot and /recovery intact, but just never use them. Am I barking up the wrong tree. I just figured it was a thought.

there is a safestrap with kexeck i think its called for the OG Razr and such..it allows to flash kernels on locked bootloaders... i havent seen it done in this device.. i even think the Razr M was dropped from safestrap and not being supported anymore... so there is a way... but no on this device. and... i think hashcode said that the latest OTA updates made safestrap impossible. so i think its either you are on old build and can unlock or you cant do anything at all.

Cool-Timeline-Covers.jpg

#4 Joshuamink

Joshuamink

xt907er

• Superuser
  • 92 posts
  • LocationOHIO

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

there is a safestrap with kexeck i think its called for the OG Razr and such..it allows to flash kernels on locked bootloaders... i havent seen it done in this device.. i even think the Razr M was dropped from safestrap and not being supported anymore... so there is a way... but no on this device. and... i think hashcode said that the latest OTA updates made safestrap impossible. so i think its either you are on old build and can unlock or you cant do anything at all.

Well you know, I remember when the bootloader for this phone was unlocked, hashcode posted something that talked about with the unlocking he said he had wasted countless hours working with kexec. I guessed it was some kernel manipulation. I didn't know that the newest ota stopped safestrap ability.

#5 jvasquezhhi

jvasquezhhi

Frankensteiner

• Developer
  • 330 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M (XT907) Retail (unlocked)

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Cool-Timeline-Covers.jpg

#6 Joshuamink

Joshuamink

xt907er

• Superuser
  • 92 posts
  • LocationOHIO

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

I read that thread, but it didn't mention RAZR m, just OG RAZR. I believe people are still very actively using safestrap with this phone, most of which have gotten the phone since it was patched and missed the unlock period. I doubt anyone who uses safe strap would have taken the newest update, because it probably wasn't even offered if they're running something custom..

#7 marxman3

marxman3

• Developer
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

When I was developing for the og RAZR kexec had a lot of issues and when I switched to the M it stool didn't offer kernel tweaks (not sure if that's changed since though - hash is a true genius).

That said while kernel mods are nice, the work around is init.d and build prop tweaks. Pretty much anything you can do with the kernel itself can be done with scripts or additions to the build prop.

Sent via my SlimBean RAZR M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users