10 replies to this topic

#1 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

Ah it's probably safest for me to post my own thread on this to avoid noob-hate.

I have a fairly intricate knowledge of computers, but am new (but learning fast) at android.

I really want to do this right as I learned the hard way via rooting my device and changing a bunch of stuff via ROM Toolbox without creating backups. So I was unable to restore anything, luckily (I guess) my phone was unable to install the recent OTA update so Verizon gave me a new phone.

I want to do everything not only right, but in the correct order. I have rooted my device via DoomLords v3 method.

Since the safeboot(?) files have been released I am having trouble finding up-to-date information on the best and newest way to backup/restore my phone.

From what I've gathered, the two different methods are Bootstrap and Safestrap correct? Which one should I use? Or are both of them out of date now?

I have more questions, but I suppose I should take one step at a time. Is this the next thing I should do? Or is there something else I should do first?

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me out, it will be greatly appreciated.

Blake

:-D :-D

#2 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:38 AM

It's a lot to wrap your finger around, haha.

The files that were released were FASTboot files. You simply fire up RSDLite 5.6, open the .zip with it, wait for it to unpack, plug your phone in, and click the start button. It does everything else for you c:

Bootstrap and Safestrap are completely different, and are the reasons you'd usually want to use fastboot files to restore. They let you flash custom ROMs. Since we didn't have fastboot files until a few days ago, making ROM developers tread in very very unsafe waters without, all of our ROMs are made for use with safestrap right now, so don't use bootstrap yet.
  • adlx likes this

#3 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

Dude thanks for the clarification.

But you gave me more credit than was due haha, what is RSDLite? A quick google search fielded lots of places to download it, but not a whole lot of info on it. But from what I've gathered, RSD are the fastboot files yeah?

So Safestrap is used to flash roms, not restore in case something goes wrong?

#4 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

RSDLite is the program that flashes the fastboot files to return your phone to stock, in a nutshell.

Safestrap can be used to make what's called a "nandroid" backup, in case you ever want to restore all of your data from one ROM. Those are a lot less reliable than Fastboot stuff, naturally, so I'd only use them if you're reflashing the same ROM.

#5 tumbleweed65

tumbleweed65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Twitter:tumblweed65
  • Google+:kend65
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

Safestrap create a secondary/virtual system and saves your primary system (if you don't mess with it) intact. Install Safestrap.... Creative a nandroid backup and leave it at that..... Reboot and at boot you'll see to hit menu key to boot to safe system run your phone in that make your changes... Flash roms.....and so on in the safe system if anything you ever do goes haywire and can't fix it you can always reboot to nonsafe/stock side and start over. But if you remember to backup before you make changes just restore the backup still in safe system and keep going

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  • adlx likes this

#6 weaponx

weaponx

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

After I create a nandroid backup and reboot, what comes next? How do I get into recovery after this? Let's say I'm gonna flash ICS Whenever its ready
Hey bub, I'm not finished with you yet..... SKNIT!!

#7 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

Go into the CDMA part of this forum (assuming your in the US) and go to ROMs then the RazrX thread. The instructions for SafeStrap are pretty much the same for flashing pretty much every ROM.

Mattigroff was nice enough to walk me through the entire process, HUGE thanks to him.

#8 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

my question is what one is safer to use for flashing safestrap or nitros bootstrap? I've read in other thread the bootstrap is not complete or is not fully functional ?

#9 tumbleweed65

tumbleweed65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Twitter:tumblweed65
  • Google+:kend65
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

From what I've read Safestrap is the safest manner.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#10 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

ok ty ! But I'll stick with the bootstrap for now i was able to make a backup from nitros work. Very few roms and themes out right now. Well nothing jumping out at me! LOL

#11 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

Safestrap is definitely the best to use as of right now.
  • adlx likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users