11 replies to this topic

#1 PogoTheMonkey

PogoTheMonkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola DROID MAXX Developer Edition

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:56 AM

So a while back I brick my m and long story short I can't charge it and the factory cable dose not work either so I'm assuming the charging port it screwed so what I want to do is open it up and directly charge the battery. I've see a few threads on this but non specifically for the m. Anyone done this?

#2 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:08 AM

While this method inherently carries the highest risk of damage....... it is absolutely possible :) and relatively easy to do (providing you have the proper tools for the disassembly) :).......... the only difference from other models of phones will be the actual teardown method (and location of battery terminals)............. just remember, be very cautious as to not allow the wire(s) you use for charging to come in contact with ANY part of the device other than the battery terminals, and double/triple check that you have the polarity correct as it can/will do irreversible damage to the phone......:)

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#3 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:57 AM

If irreversible damage happens, post pics. ;)  Haha, in all honesty, I'm interested to see how this goes.  Post results when you get them. 

• johnthehillbilly likes this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#4 PogoTheMonkey

PogoTheMonkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:03 AM

Never done with this before on any phone so proper terminal is exact what I'm concerned about. And irreversible Is irrelevant since it has been a paper weight for a few months already. I just got a tool kit for another project so i I will be doing the tear down tonight, I'll be sure to take a sh!t ton of pics

#5 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

The terminals are typically very clearly marked.... either on the rubber cover, the "chassis" or the battery itself.... :)

jhf.png

#6 PogoTheMonkey

PogoTheMonkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

OK so I may be sunk before I sail on the one. I just watched a guide video of this on the of razr and as john said it is a clearly marked terminal. Then a watched a tear down on the m. It didnt give the same close up view but it looked a lot more like ribbon cable coming straight from the batter to a special plug on the main board. so nowhere to wrap a wire around. I'll do the teardown myself when I get home and report back.

update:

oh so i got the screen off, so far it looks like i was right about the ribbon cable syle battery hook up, but i havent gotten it out yet. i found what looks like corrosion around the usb port. see pics, some weird blue crap. this phone did get wet but that was long before the brick. what do you guys think should i try to clean it and reassemble or keep pulling the battery

Attached Files

• RikRong likes this

#7 PogoTheMonkey

PogoTheMonkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

ok so this is what ive got on the battery.... im gonna peel back the black covering to see what i can find

Attached Files

• RikRong likes this

#8 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

I would try cleaning it etc...while you have it apart ..... can't hurt :)....if you choose to try the "hard way" LOL on the battery, of course it appears that you may be able to attach the charging wires with a small clip to the ribbon...... tiny connections but it looks pretty straight forward :) But cleaning the port might be a better idea.... :)

jhf.png

#9 PogoTheMonkey

PogoTheMonkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

I decided to go the hard way. I have a feeling cleaning wouldnt be enough

Attached Files

• RikRong likes this

#10 PogoTheMonkey

PogoTheMonkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

So what you see above is the batter with the black covering peeled back and a small strip circuit board exposed. The two sliver spots you see on the left and right of the black chip seem to be  the positive and negative terminals as you can see in the second pic. Then I sandwiched the wires against the terminals and the plastic backing piece and taped it closed. Theoretically, its charging right now.

• johnthehillbilly, RikRong and shane1 like this

#11 kaveman124

kaveman124

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:49 PM

did it actually work?

#12 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

Direct wiring of a battery does work, not for the faint of heart and I would not consider as a permanent solution for obvious reasons. Depending on your charging issue, the easiest thing is to find a team black hat factory adaptor or cable. That is if your issue is not your charging port or the internal cable connection.

Turbo Driven Comment

• johnthehillbilly likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users