40 replies to this topic

#1 svensons5

svensons5

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

For starters, I am new to this forum, I have not done too much browsing through the forum sections and someone might already have had this problem. It's just that I'm a bit desperate with this.

just for reference, I've never flashed an android device.

So, long story short: I wanted to get my girlfriend something fancy- an unusual phone (because they don't have anything Motorola around here). So I got this nice deal to get a Razr at a fair price from Japan.

Technically I thought it's a XT-910, because that is what the deal said and that is what the phone looks like (there is no Verizon branding on the phone). But in the settings>about, it says that the version is 6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US, android 4.0.4 ICS with the Eclipse launcher. Runs well and everything. But quite a number of issues with the phone, like google play services not supported by the device, having to use an un-updated Youtube app. Then, the account sync is messing up, but enough of that. to the point.

So I read that there is an official Jelly bean 4.1.2 update available for the phone, but the internal update check comes up with nothing (possibly because there is no Verizon on the other side of the planet).

I tried updating it, but only ended up turning my precious Christmas gift for my girlfriend into a useless brick. What a loser I am..  

I tried Matt's utility for flashing to JB, the batman thing. I have the Motorola drivers installed, the needed thing in the device manager. Seemingly everything was set.  Only something is going wrong. Half a dozen FAILED's pop up :

erasing cache, sending logo.bin, devtree, system, boot, recovery, it all comes up with FAILED <command write failed <no such file or directory> 

it then proceeded to either copy the big files with success, only to reboot the device to a screen saying AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S) (Flash Failure)

0A.77

eMMC info: Size 16G

Or it just skipped the big file copying and showed that the process is finished and device would reboot, which it did, just leading to the same flash failure screen.

I tried a few more times with Matt's utility, but to no avail.

I then tried using the RSD lite application. I have tried with a few different supposedly stock roms both for 4.0.4 (which was on the phone when I got it) and 4.1.2. 

RSD seemed to work fine, until failing at either step 6/16, with the failed to copy one of those important bin files. Where am I going wrong? All I wanted was for my GF to just have a good phone. Was that too much to ask for?

How do I at least get it the way it was on ICS ?

when I select "boot normally", under the boot failure at the bottom it says:

Invalid CG OTV (CG: system): Invalid SP data

Invalid CG HAB (CG: system, status: 0X0056)

Invalid CG OTV (CG: system)

If this changes anything, I have installed the android SDK with the dev tools and the google usb driver, had disabled my firewall and antivirus just in case. 

and sorry for making my first post here a big personal problem that might have already occured and possibly been fixed. It's just getting awfully close to Christmas.

Attached Files

#2 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Are you using an actual Moto USB cable. And yes it does matter.

The other thing to try is edit the script and change the second ping command and increase the wait time. maybe try 2000

#3 svensons5

svensons5

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

Yes I am using the moto cable that came with the phone. Does it matter where exactly I have extracted Matt's utility files?

EDIT changing the wait time to 3000, I got only 3 FAILED's. Is it normal that If I have messed up the system like that with the boot failure, the recovery option also takes me to the same boot failure screen?

also with writing boot and recovery, says INFOPreflash validation failure.

#4 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

doesnt matter where you extract them as long as you run it from the directory it was extracted into. from your screenshot it appears its correct, since you got that far.

try increasing the wait time as I suggested maybe 2000 then 3000, if it doesnt work with that, we will need to look elsewhere.

• johnthehillbilly likes this

#5 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

It works better if the utility is extracted to your desktop...... However..... You need to be 100% sure if the phone is a 910 or 912.... The utility WILL fail if you are using on a 910.... As it is specifically for the Verizon 912..... Also.... You need to use the moto drivers (included in the utility).

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#6 svensons5

svensons5

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

It looks a little better now with the waittime increased. However, still no boot luck. Well, the seller sold it to me as a XT910. As an XT910 it does not have the verizon branding on it. But then why on earth did the phone say it's version in the settings was 6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US ?

Attached Files

#7 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

what version of matts utility do you have. that message often means your flashing something older than whats on the phone now.

you stated that you started with .211 ICS. The bootloader number that you gave is for JB so it seems like your update didnt go all the way. at this point, I dont think we can go back to ICS so we need to get it fixed up to JB....

#8 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

Based on what the command window shows..... It looks like the latest utility.....

jhf.png

#9 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

yea, not sure I got too many ideas....especially if it ends up being a 910. didnt we have someone several months ago claiming to be in this position?

does the back of the phone have any markings on it? the Verizon 912's do

maybe try rsd again?

#10 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

Open RSDlite.... Plug the phone in.... Don't do anything... Just read what it says in device properties.... Or under model ..... It should tell you what device it is.....
  • cmh714 likes this

jhf.png

#11 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

I realize your in the Netherlands. Do you know if the phone had CDMA capability when you got it? The 910 was GSM only, while the 912 is Global capable.

Just trying to figure out what exactly you have :)

#12 svensons5

svensons5

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

I am actually in Latvia, the Baltic states which is further up north-east from the Netherlands. The phone is indeed the XT912. It has global capability with both gsm and lte/cdma modes. And the rsd utility says it's cdma-s. Right now I just want to have it at least back to ICS. I read that rsd lite has issues with windows 7 x64, could that have been the reason? Because I have x64. Today I could try on an old win xp computer. Doing the flash doesn't matter if I do it again, right? It's ,like, trying to wipe it and put on a system?

#13 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:23 AM

Flashing again will not hurt it, however, if your battery gets low then you will be in worse shape than you are now.....

jhf.png

#14 svensons5

svensons5

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:16 AM

Okay, I have installed rsd lite, Google sdk and within it the Google usb driver and Dev tools and the moto drivers found in Matt's utility on a 32bit win7 pc. Will try it from there. Oh, just for info, I have a second identical Razr just like the one I messed up for my grandmother (don't even ask, she wanted one after seeing the one I got for my GF). Probably not rooted, but it did have a bootloader option in the shutdown options. Any chance I could make an image of it and somehow paste it into this killed one?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

#15 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:23 AM

If the other one has a bootloader option in the shutdown menu... Chances are it is in fact rooted and probably running custom ROM ............at this point, You won't be able to make an image from that one to use on the "dead one"..... You will need to get it up and running prior to doing anything with it.....

jhf.png

#16 svensons5

svensons5

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

The same problems. I got failed to flash at step 6/16 in RSD-lite and writing devtree infopteflash validation failure in Matt's util. Appears this is no solution. So what do I do to at least have recovery mode working or something? I have an SD card that could have data on it to be installed from recovery, but the mode is useless at the moment.

#17 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

Do you have access to a Linux machine (or virtual machine)?

jhf.png

#18 svensons5

svensons5

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

No. I only have my win7 x64 laptop, an older win7 x32 tower that I tried to use. Then I have a prehistoric win xp pc that's horribly slow.

#19 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

Ok because sometimes it will fail in windows but succeed in Linux.... But... Its looking more and more to me that you do actually have a 910 instead of a 912.... Or the files you do have may have been corrupted ......

jhf.png

#20 svensons5

svensons5

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

Well, everything in the box was Japanese, the box itself says IS12M in a corner, the branding on the phone back says "au", that maybe is one of their carriers or something. But judging by the internals, it was meant for the American market. Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xt912, RSD-lite, brick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users