• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 sugarcoatedangel

sugarcoatedangel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

First it starts with the "Big Boy On The Block" and then other providers start to follow pursuit. Not just cell providers but cable, satellite and all the others. It needs to be stopped before it spreads like a virus. Just my .02¢

Cell/smart phones have become a necessity people. You can threaten to take your biz elsewhere, but what are you really accomplishing by doing that? I just left Sprint bc they were dousch bags with horrible data service and I couldn't take it anymore. Verizon has the BEST data service hands down, and now I would say they have VERY competitive share plans for families now. That is one big reason I switched. These guys are providing phones and services for consumers who demand cell service bc we can't put the phones down for more than a minute. YOU ALL TURNED VERIZON INTO THE GIANT THEY ARE, AND GAVE THEM THEIR ATTITUDE. I say deal with it, or go somewhere else and get crap service.

#42 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

They are abusing their monopoly. nuff said. EDIT I should say in my opinion they are abusing. Don't want to get sued. -_-

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 utekking

utekking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Ok Verizon tried to sensor what 'one man' posted about VERIZON in a negative fashion. Have you all heard of SLANDER? They are not trying to sensor your freedom of speech or your use of internet, they have absolutely NO way of doing that. However, when you post something negative that could potentially cause damage to the entity being posted about, they have a right to push back and that's EXACTLY what Verizon did, at least that's what I took from that video.

I am in no way defending Verizon, but they have a right to defend themselves, just as much as you have a right to your freedom of speech/interent posting. Just be careful what you post. Verizon would win this in court hands down.

Verizon would not just win this hands down..... I know that they are a company and this is more about a person but I do believe that it would still be treated the same.

For this reason and their BS plans now, + some others, come May of next year no more VERIZON for me.

How to prove libel

There are several ways a person must go about proving that libel has taken place. For example, in the United States, the person first must prove that the statement was false. Second, that person must prove that the statement caused harm. And, third, they must prove that the statement was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. In the case of a celebrity or public official trying to prove libel, they must prove the first three steps, and must (in the United States) prove the statement was made with the intent to do harm, or with reckless disregard for the truth. Usually specifically referred to as "proving malice".
Droid Razr upgraded to Maxx!!!

#44 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Ok Verizon tried to sensor what 'one man' posted about VERIZON in a negative fashion. Have you all heard of SLANDER? They are not trying to sensor your freedom of speech or your use of internet, they have absolutely NO way of doing that. However, when you post something negative that could potentially cause damage to the entity being posted about, they have a right to push back and that's EXACTLY what Verizon did, at least that's what I took from that video.

I am in no way defending Verizon, but they have a right to defend themselves, just as much as you have a right to your freedom of speech/interent posting. Just be careful what you post. Verizon would win this in court hands down.

Nicely stated. I was far too lazy, and on my phone to try to argue my point further. Saying that they're "taking away are freedoms" is just sensationalist garbage.

#45 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

Nicely stated. I was far too lazy, and on my phone to try to argue my point further. Saying that they're "taking away are freedoms" is just sensationalist garbage.

Then what would you call this?

"It goes like this: the Open Internet Order says that Verizon, as a provider of broadband Internet, can't block or slow access to (legal) online content because they disagree with its message or are being paid by an outside party to do so. This is essentially how the internet has operated since its inception, and the Open Internet Order is intended to prevent ISPs like Verizon from becoming gatekeepers. Verizon, however, argues that it has the constitutionally protected right to decide which content you, as a Verizon customer, can access -- that it is no different from a newspaper editor:"
Posted Image

#46 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:15 AM

Then what would you call this?

"It goes like this: the Open Internet Order says that Verizon, as a provider of broadband Internet, can't block or slow access to (legal) online content because they disagree with its message or are being paid by an outside party to do so. This is essentially how the internet has operated since its inception, and the Open Internet Order is intended to prevent ISPs like Verizon from becoming gatekeepers. Verizon, however, argues that it has the constitutionally protected right to decide which content you, as a Verizon customer, can access -- that it is no different from a newspaper editor:"

When are you filing a lawsuit?

#47 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

When are you filing a lawsuit?

Hey, I'm simply debating a topic.
Posted Image

#48 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

We'll all be screaming when they start to block this forums as "security threats" won't we?

Sent from my Droid RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • Nitewolf likes this

#49 razorsedge

razorsedge

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

Vote with your dollar I say.

I disagree. Because without customers your company is nothing. Share holders cant hold the company up. Only thing share holders do is invest in the company. If every customer pulls out of verizon ( Highly Unlikely) then verizon would fail!

Edit: This was an epic fail... I quoted the wrong one lol It was something about the share holders...

Edited by razorsedge, 23 July 2012 - 05:49 AM.

#50 sugarcoatedangel

sugarcoatedangel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hey, I'm simply debating a topic.

There is no debating this topic. You can say/post WHATEVER you want on the internet, but are you prepared to reap what you sew? Verizon absolutely has the right to protect their image. I run a small business myself and there is a HUGE difference between leaving feedback on a company and blasting a company. I'm not saying I disagree with the article the guy posted, but we do have a system of laws, and you CAN"T break them just because you think the internet is a place to freely post whatever you want. Verizon is defending themselves by telling the guy to take it down or face legal action. Whats so regulating about that. If any one of you ran your own biz and saw a similar post, if you were of smart breeding, you would do the exact same thing!

#51 sugarcoatedangel

sugarcoatedangel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

We'll all be screaming when they start to block this forums as "security threats" won't we?

You're crazy dude, quit taking this to the most extreme measure. They are not trying to sensor anything. If you don't like Verizon, leave! That may give me more bandwidth...lol kidding

#52 Toxicwolf

Toxicwolf

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Google+:116448988752166128281

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Cell/smart phones have become a necessity people. You can threaten to take your biz elsewhere, but what are you really accomplishing by doing that? I just left Sprint bc they were dousch bags with horrible data service and I couldn't take it anymore. Verizon has the BEST data service hands down, and now I would say they have VERY competitive share plans for families now. That is one big reason I switched. These guys are providing phones and services for consumers who demand cell service bc we can't put the phones down for more than a minute. YOU ALL TURNED VERIZON INTO THE GIANT THEY ARE, AND GAVE THEM THEIR ATTITUDE. I say deal with it, or go somewhere else and get crap service.

Yes cell phones have become a necessity. I won't deny Verizon has good service and that I even get a pretty good deal right now with them. I think their family share plans are crap, just my opinion, I'm still on the old unlimited plan. If verizon ever did control what I could access on the internet then I would leave them wether or not they had good service or even if I were still getting a good deal. As to your question of what I would be accomplishing, I would be doing what I thought was right and holding to my own beliefs.

#53 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

There is no debating this topic. You can say/post WHATEVER you want on the internet, but are you prepared to reap what you sew? Verizon absolutely has the right to protect their image. I run a small business myself and there is a HUGE difference between leaving feedback on a company and blasting a company. I'm not saying I disagree with the article the guy posted, but we do have a system of laws, and you CAN"T break them just because you think the internet is a place to freely post whatever you want. Verizon is defending themselves by telling the guy to take it down or face legal action. Whats so regulating about that. If any one of you ran your own biz and saw a similar post, if you were of smart breeding, you would do the exact same thing!

The fact of the matter is what Verizon's intentions are regarding what THEY want YOU to be able to see via their broadband service, which is a nono, legal actions not withstanding. The OP suggests that they want to take away certain freedoms via filtering what they want you to see or say. What legal action threats they made and the reasons why the blog was withdrawn has no bearing on the fact that they want to control what you see. Since I make a statement that is true and Verizon doesn't like it and decides to threaten legal actions, it's up to moi to decide to either conform or deny. From what I have gathered John Moore took down the post because he didn't want the hassle, not because he slandered anyone.

EDIT: Sorry to burst your bubble but the internet is a place I can post whatever I want to as long as it isn't illegal.

EDIT: So you own a biz. As a customer I post my opinion that your service sucks and gives reasons as to why I think so. I may be hurting your image but have done nothing wrong.
Posted Image

#54 studiorat

studiorat

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):Jelly Wizzed JB Droid Maxx

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

I sent a letter (email) to VZW the response was this

My name is Kelly and I will be happy to review your email for you today.

xxxx, we appreciate having you as a Verizon Wireless customer! Unfortunately, in regards to comments on the You Tube link, I will suggest calling us at your earliest convenience so that we can get you in contact with our Media or Legal Team for a more proper explanation. We would like to resolve your concerns as quickly as possible, you can give us a call at 800-922-0204.

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services.

I tried calling and asked for the Media dept, and was on hold for 73 minutes I hung Up,

I called legal and was placed on hold to speak to someone in Media Media picks up I explain myself and they reply

That is a legal matter and placed me on hold....Legal picks up and said they have no knowledge or information on this Issue, I told them to

Bring it on ....if they wanna play their games we will gladly step up!!!,

I then posted a letter on www.planetfeedback.com and have yet to hear a response

Offending The Masses since 1967.........FTW........Christianity is a Farse!!!

#55 studiorat

studiorat

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Verizon is pulling a "too big to fail" on us....

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Really, Too Big to Fail.....BS strength is in numbers and if it was as cut and dry as that video suggests this country and its 72,000,000 VZW customers would be in an uproar, providing proper media coverage , its only on a handful of sites...

#56 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Really, Too Big to Fail.....BS strength is in numbers and if it was as cut and dry as that video suggests this country and its 72,000,000 VZW customers would be in an uproar, providing proper media coverage , its only on a handful of sites...

People are lazy complacent animals lol. Why get involved if all you really need is a text and call service?
Posted Image

#57 studiorat

studiorat

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

nevermind I will post later

#58 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

well here is the letter I placed if anyone cares

I have a complaint about this article I was reading about Verizons right to censor internet content and VZW's comment on it "owns the internet, and has a right to edit its content for its subscribers" I am here to tell you it is a clear violation of my 1st and 5th amendment rights: would you care to explain these actions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wr8zy8bNVI&feature=player_embedded

if you need a refresher here is the 5th
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.[1]

I believe the last line is the important one here....you do not own the internet!!! there fore you can not require compensation, VZW is only a portal to the internet, so my understanding is if you do not own it you can not censor or edit its content, and require compensation for it....The internet is a Public entity you have no claim to it,

and a refresher again

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I believe that is self explanitory,

we have a right to express our concerns, publicly you have no right to ask us(your Customers) from refraining our comments and concerns.....
all I ask is an explanation of VZW's comments and actions on this matter

Good luck with that. All you're gonna get is the cold shoulder brush off
Posted Image

#59 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

You're crazy dude, quit taking this to the most extreme measure. They are not trying to sensor anything. If you don't like Verizon, leave! That may give me more bandwidth...lol kidding

Oops, forgot to put *sarcasm* at the end of my post.
Look I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but I do believe that corporations practice pushing the envelope on what consumers will tolerate in the name of profit, not "infrastructure", "investment" or "development". More control generally translates to better self-preservation which equals more profit. If a company can get away with something and make money doing it then its win-win for them.
Case in point: gas prices. Do you really believe that more than 2.00/gallon is justified? Once oil companies found that the market would bear more than that price AND that the consumer would consistently pay more than that price, anything less than that was perceived as a loss of PROJECTED (not real) profit and could not be tolerated. Bye-bye intrinsic value, hello market manipulation.

#60 sugarcoatedangel

sugarcoatedangel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

The fact of the matter is what Verizon's intentions are regarding what THEY want YOU to be able to see via their broadband service, which is a nono, legal actions not withstanding. The OP suggests that they want to take away certain freedoms via filtering what they want you to see or say. What legal action threats they made and the reasons why the blog was withdrawn has no bearing on the fact that they want to control what you see. Since I make a statement that is true and Verizon doesn't like it and decides to threaten legal actions, it's up to moi to decide to either conform or deny. From what I have gathered John Moore took down the post because he didn't want the hassle, not because he slandered anyone.

EDIT: Sorry to burst your bubble but the internet is a place I can post whatever I want to as long as it isn't illegal.

EDIT: So you own a biz. As a customer I post my opinion that your service sucks and gives reasons as to why I think so. I may be hurting your image but have done nothing wrong.

You're not bursting my bubble, I don't give a crap what you post. Yes you can post what you want, and it stays on the internet FOREVER DUDE!!!! If it is found slanderous towards the an entity, and they can prove that your posts caused them loss of business/earnings, that entity whether person or company has the right to defend themselves in LEGAL action, EVEN IF ITS AN OPINION!!! Have you heard of Lawyers and the legal process? We live in America, land of the free. That also means the freedom to sue the #$%^& out of you for your review, whether your review bears truth or not!

EDIT: peace-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users