Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

To add a little bit to number 1. Once you get into fast boot you will scroll down to recovery option using the vol down then select it with the vol up. Then when the android guy pops up press both vol buttons at the same time. Once in recovery use the vol buttons to scroll and highlight factory data reset with the power button. Then scroll to yes and press power button again. Once down highlight reboot device and press power button.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• ufkal likes this

#222 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Ok, just so I'm clear on this process....
Assuming that I've backed up my SD cards and acknowledge that I will loose save data,
1. Boot into Fastboot (up/down volume +power.... down volume to select reset [or whatever its called] Let phone reset to factory
a.? How is this different from wiping everything from the privacy settings? Just curious,
2. Using

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

[Linux/mac]---For-Verizon-Droid-Razr-And-Droid-Razr-Maxx-Only (either windows or linux, depending on which machine I grab)
a. Install the drivers included either 32 or 64 bit.... which SHOULD install the ADB drivers
3. Plug phone in and hope that it doesn't say installing devices, because then its not using the drivers I already installed right?
4. Run the Utility 1.82
5. Profit [or have a phone that just won't root at all] and if rooted add a bootstrap...

Does this sound right? I've not messed with Razr much. So I'm guessing on a lot of this.

Thanks again y'all for helping out. When this gets rooted, I will be able to make it the device it deserves to be!

To do a data reset you can do it thru settings/privacy ... or stock recovery... not fastboot.....

If using a windows machine.... yes install the proper drivers.... and when you plug phone into computer it will show "installing drivers" ... DO allow this.... toggle between the 3 USB modes on the phone and allow each part to finish installing drivers ..... this will install the adb drivers .....

Boot phone into APFastboot .... run the utility .... option 1.... Make sure you are fully charged for this......

When complete then you can run option 2 to root.... booted normally and in mtp mode......and USB debugging enabled

When done...... reboot normally then if you choose to you can install safestrap (not bootstrap) ....

sent from my JB RAZR ... tapadriving

• tmyinc likes this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#223 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thank you for elaborating more. I'm so used to fdr'ing through recovery I forget about the option in privacy lol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#224 ufkal

ufkal

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Max, Nexus

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

To do a data reset you can do it thru settings/privacy ... or stock recovery... not fastboot.....

If using a windows machine.... yes install the proper drivers.... and when you plug phone into computer it will show "installing drivers" ... DO allow this.... toggle between the 3 USB modes on the phone and allow each part to finish installing drivers ..... this will install the adb drivers .....

Boot phone into APFastboot .... run the utility .... option 1.... Make sure you are fully charged for this......

When complete then you can run option 2 to root.... booted normally and in mtp mode......and USB debugging enabled

When done...... reboot normally then if you choose to you can install safestrap (not bootstrap) ....

so I need to be booted into APFastboot to run the utility? did I miss that in the instructions?
And in linux, plug and go?

#225 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

so I need to be booted into APFastboot to run the utility? did I miss that in the instructions?
And in linux, plug and go?

To run option 1 yes..... AP Fastboot

To run option 2 ... booted normally and USB debugging enabled and in mtp mode

Most of the time in Linux ... yes plug (let sit for a few seconds) and play

:)

• ufkal likes this

jhf.png

#226 ufkal

ufkal

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

To run option 1 yes..... AP Fastboot

To run option 2 ... booted normally and USB debugging enabled and in mtp mode

Most of the time in Linux ... yes plug (let sit for a few seconds) and play

:)

And if I remember correctly, option 2 is the root portion of the game. So that is the prize......

#227 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

And if I remember correctly, option 2 is the root portion of the game. So that is the prize......

Yes you are right :)

jhf.png

#228 ufkal

ufkal

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

you know when this is all said and done, she had better be grateful for the amount of time you guys put into helping me fix her phone. :) I do appreciate all the help and suggestions.
  • stealthmouse, johnthehillbilly and tmyinc like this

#229 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

LOL!!! is everything works right and your phone ...err... her phone :) is up and running as you want it.... that's gratitude enough for me :)

jhf.png

#230 beartard

beartard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Just in case it happens to anyone else, I had a problem when loading option 2 (the root part of the utility). The adb.linux program included with version 1.8.2 of the utility failed looking for the libncurses library.

I use Ubuntu, which has adb in its repositories. I copied /usr/bin/adb to adb.linux in the utility folder and it worked just fine.

#231 ufkal

ufkal

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

LOL!!! is everything works right and your phone ...err... her phone :) is up and running as you want it.... that's gratitude enough for me :)

Just an update. I finally got her to agree to let me factory reset. And today, we are root. Thanks y'all for all the help!!!
  • tmyinc likes this

#232 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Just an update. I finally got her to agree to let me factory reset. And today, we are root. Thanks y'all for all the help!!!

Glad to hear it!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#233 jlrivera81

jlrivera81

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

I'm currently running the utility. It is currently at the "sending 'recovery' (9216 KB)..." step. It's been there for more than 10 minutes. Is it supposed to take this long? I'm running choice 1 btw.

#234 Tulips5098

Tulips5098

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid X2, Motorola Droid Razr HD

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

Hi, I am new to this but I downloaded the windows version ( I have windows 8) but when I put my phone in AP Fastboot mode and go into the 1.8 utility choose option1 all it says is : fastboot not recognized as internal or external command and it tells me to hit enter to exit. The screen says : AP Fastboot Flash mode

Device is locked

Status Code 0

Transfer Mode USB Connected

How can I get option 1 to work properly?

#235 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

Did you extract the zip file to your desktop and run the command from there?

Sent From My DEV X

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#236 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Is there any reason why youre using an old utility????

Newer utility: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: utility, mac, linux, 1.8, 1.81, ICS stock restore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)