78 replies to this topic

#21 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ/Santa Paula, CA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

There were a few apps that struggled with ICS at first but I have only one that no longer works because the developer abandoned it over a year ago.

It's not the APPS sank, it's the actual operating system that is crap. If it was just an app, i'd not be concerned.

#22 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

It's not the APPS sank, it's the actual operating system that is crap. If it was just an app, i'd not be concerned.

I assume since you've been on the phone with tier 2 support that you have, at some point, done a factory data reset. If not, why not try that before going any farther. Just a thought.
  • PWn3R and Ahowe125 like this

#23 sankyou

sankyou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Fair enough. I disagree. It's a complete overhaul but most people, including myself, feel it's a far more complete and consistent operating system than Gingerbread. I do agree that it's a little slower - but the performance difference isn't substantial enough to mention under normal circumstances. Hopefully we'll get JB soon and it will improve on some of the flaws of ICS. Not holding my breath though.

#24 Ahowe125

Ahowe125

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Twitter:Ahowe125
  • Google+:Aaron Howe
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):VZW HTC One, Nexus 7

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

I think my phone is much better on ICS then it ever was on GB. But that's just my opinion. I know the Verizon rep said that, but I really don't think they will have one with GB on it still. Not to mention they are most likely sending you refurbished unit. At least that's what Verizon is known for. Very rarely have I ever got a new unit from a warranty, which is most likely what hes doing for you.

Could it be possible that the phone had some issues loading the update, and maybe a fresh install with Matts 1.81 utility could fix your problem?

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on Eclipse v1.2 GPE Port |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4 |

#25 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

I assume since you've been on the phone with tier 2 support that you have, at some point, done a factory data reset. If not, why not try that before going any farther. Just a thought.

I will try that when the new phone arrives. He (level2) did not put much faith in the fdr for my problems. He has the same phone and has noticed the same
faults.

thanks

#26 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

I think my phone is much better on ICS then it ever was on GB. But that's just my opinion. I know the Verizon rep said that, but I really don't think they will have one with GB on it still. Not to mention they are most likely sending you refurbished unit. At least that's what Verizon is known for. Very rarely have I ever got a new unit from a warranty, which is most likely what hes doing for you.

Could it be possible that the phone had some issues loading the update, and maybe a fresh install with Matts 1.81 utility could fix your problem?

It's possible, I'll know Wed when I have the new/different one in my hand.

#27 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

I got you:
Matt's 1.81:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

.215 leak:

If I recall correctly, the latest utility can root .215. If not, you would need to root .211 first - save SU with vodoo utility (included in matt's utility) - then update to .215. Finally restore root from Vodoo.

Thanks!! I'm downloading them now,

#28 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Just wanted to add that there is a high probability your new phone will still be gb. Verizon does not open the phones when they get them. They know customers would rather see a phone in a box that has never been opened. I got my maxx a week before ics came out and it still had 744.

As others stated rooting alone will not stop the update. You have to change the system in some way (freezing or removing a system app) so the update will fail.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

#29 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

I'm so lost in this thread. 1. Every time he says downgrade and I thinks he's referring to the update but I've never seen anyone call update downgrade since its the opposite. 2. From what I recall, everyone and their mother have been doing everything they can to get off of slow ass, old ass gingerbread. Which was basically a fancy Eclair /Froyo.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#30 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

As others stated rooting alone will not stop the update. You have to change the system in some way (freezing or removing a system app) so the update will fail.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Thanks JungleKing,
I'll just have to decide what system app to kill when it comes to that.

Mick

#31 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

I'm so lost in this thread. 1. Every time he says downgrade and I thinks he's referring to the update but I've never seen anyone call update downgrade since its the opposite. 2. From what I recall, everyone and their mother have been doing everything they can to get off of slow rear end, old rear end gingerbread. Which was basically a fancy Eclair /Froyo.

tucs,
it IS a downgrade, the slow rear end OS is ics 4.0.4, my Droid RAZR used to be extremely fast with no lag at ll. Now it's garbage. You ARE lost.

#32 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thanks JungleKing,
I'll just have to decide what system app to kill when it comes to that.

Mick

There is usually an updater.apk that Motorola has. I'm not stock, so I can't check. It may be blurupdater.apk or something like that. Freeze that and you're good.

Although, I've been on a few leaks and all the custom ROMs I could find and ICS is way better than GB was in every way except battery life. Oh well, its worth it.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER

#33 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

1) Do a factory reset....chances are some GB Data is still lurking around you new OS. Mucking things up making it run slow, lagging, maybe even a few FC here and there. When updating from GB to ICS we recommend a factory reset/data wipe
2) Give it some time to get used to ICS. If you never used ICS before...some things are different.

3) You warrantied you phone correct? If so...its gonna be a refurb(certified pre owned like new) it will have ICS 4.0.4 preloaded on it.Just my 2¢ lol

#34 coletrane09

coletrane09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Twitter:coletrane09
  • LocationHart, MI

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Look for one on Ebay bought a used one last week and still had GB on it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#35 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

There is usually an updater.apk that Motorola has. I'm not stock, so I can't check. It may be blurupdater.apk or something like that. Freeze that and you're good.

Brad,
Thanks, I'll look into a freeze app too.

Mick

#36 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

2) Give it some time to get used to ICS. If you never used ICS before...some things are different.

3) You warrantied you phone correct? If so...its gonna be a refurb(certified pre owned like new) it will have ICS 4.0.4 preloaded on it.Just my 2¢ lol

I gave it over a month and I still hate it. The tech never mentioned warranty, he simply is attempting to get me a phone that works as good as my
original Droid RAZR with 2.3.5 Gingerbread.
The new? phone should arrive tomorrow and I'll try a factory reset and .214 reload then.

#37 sankyou

sankyou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

Mick -

After all of this - I forgot to mention that I recommend Arctic if you end up being forced to go with ICS.

This ROM has been debloated and runs very fast. I think it would be your best option if Gingerbread isn't on your new phone.

#38 PWn3R

PWn3R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Twitter:AllenGeorge
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/102317230135122177087

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

Fair enough. I disagree. It's a complete overhaul but most people, including myself, feel it's a far more complete and consistent operating system than Gingerbread. I do agree that it's a little slower - but the performance difference isn't substantial enough to mention under normal circumstances. Hopefully we'll get JB soon and it will improve on some of the flaws of ICS. Not holding my breath though.

On .215 my phone runs faster on STOCK that it did on ANY GB build, including the stuff that DT and other cooked up that was fast. Mick - your chances of getting a GB phone are near 0 as they should be ICS is a superior operating system, it ups the level of security, adds functionality, and I have yet to find a bug in the released version or .215. If you phone is giving you trouble, you need to wipe _EVERYTHING_. When you boot back up, do NOT restore from Google (uncheck the boxes) and then install the Apps you use. If you are blaming the OS because some of your apps don't work, that is the wrong thing to do, blame the developer for not updating it -- especially if you paid for the app.

I recommend that you update to .215 and root. ICS is a far superior OS to GB.

#39 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

I just moved this from the Apps forum to the Help forum as this does not belong in the Apps forum.

#40 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

I find it interesting that you bad mouth ICS on a couple forums, but ignore when people tell you that a factory data reset would help. Sounds like you don't like change.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users