78 replies to this topic

#41 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ/Santa Paula, CA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

On .215 my phone runs faster on STOCK that it did on ANY GB build, including the stuff that DT and other cooked up that was fast. Mick - your chances of getting a GB phone are near 0 as they should be ICS is a superior operating system, it ups the level of security, adds functionality, and I have yet to find a bug in the released version or .215. If you phone is giving you trouble, you need to wipe _EVERYTHING_. When you boot back up, do NOT restore from Google (uncheck the boxes) and then install the Apps you use. If you are blaming the OS because some of your apps don't work, that is the wrong thing to do, blame the developer for not updating it -- especially if you paid for the app.

I recommend that you update to .215 and root. ICS is a far superior OS to GB.

PW,
Thanks BUT security is one of the main reasonsICS is junk. Let your ics phone go to sleep and lock. When you wake it, the new key icon appears and you can select camera, phone text. Select one of those choices and then click the return key at the bottom of the screen. You now have access to the entire phone and all apps. How can anyone have tested that? You think that is security? :) <_<

have no problems at all with my apps, it's just the fact that EVERYTHING is slower on ics. Paging through an Email even has lag. I will fdr tomorrow once I have the replacement phone in-hand.
Mick

#42 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:50 AM

I find it interesting that you bad mouth ICS on a couple forums, but ignore when people tell you that a factory data reset would help. Sounds like you don't like change.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER

Brad,
I love change........but only when it actually improves something. This is ridiculous. The total absense of security, the notification bar has shrunk to the point it is unreadable, pop3 Email does not work on a timer pop, screen lags are constantly causing errors. The level 2 guy I spoke with did NOT believe a factory data reset would d any good but I WILL try that Wed when my new phone arrives. Who knows, it may show up with a version of ics that actually works.

Mick

#43 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

As for security, there is a setting that locks the phone when the screen turns off by itself. By default it is set to 20 minutes.

I'm not sure about the notification bar issue as mine is visible just fine.

I have both Exchange and POP3 configured on my phone and its set to push every 15 minutes. Works as good as it did on GB.

ICS is actually faster and more fluid. GB didn't make use of both cores fully. ICS does. Scrolling isn't as elastic which makes you scroll more to reach something. Some may take that as being slow or more laggy.

Hopefully this addresses some of the issues you're having. I can understand your frustration if your phone isn't working right, but to be vague about your issues as you previously were and then downing ICS in several places makes it seem like you're just looking to complain.

-Brad

#44 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

As for security, there is a setting that locks the phone when the screen turns off by itself. By default it is set to 20 minutes.

I'm not sure about the notification bar issue as mine is visible just fine.

I have both Exchange and POP3 configured on my phone and its set to push every 15 minutes. Works as good as it did on GB.

ICS is actually faster and more fluid. GB didn't make use of both cores fully. ICS does. Scrolling isn't as elastic which makes you scroll more to reach something. Some may take that as being slow or more laggy.

Hopefully this addresses some of the issues you're having. I can understand your frustration if your phone isn't working right, but to be vague about your issues as you previously were and then downing ICS in several places makes it seem like you're just looking to complain.

-Brad

brad,
did you actually text the security hole I mentioned above?????
Let your ics phone go to sleep and lock. When you wake it, the new 'key' icon appears and you can select camera, phone text. Select one of those choices and then click the return key at the bottom of the screen. You now have access to the entire phone and all apps. How can anyone have tested that?

I agree, there is also a manual lock and I have it set to pattern. IF you remember to press the power on button to lock, it works, if you let the screen timeout, it fails every time and there is NO SECURITY. That's a pretty big issue that was missed.

It is SLOWER and less user friendly. If scrolling seems slower, it IS slower. One core or two, it should NOT be slower than GB and it is. I hate being a beta tester for their crap OS. Maybe it will get better, in a few months.

#45 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

I'll be back to post results of the fdr testing and .215 install unsubbing for now.

#46 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

brad,
Let your ics phone go to sleep and lock. When you wake it, the new 'key' icon appears and you can select camera, phone text. Select one of those choices and then click the return key at the bottom of the screen. You now have access to the entire phone and all apps. How can anyone have tested that?

I agree, there is also a manual lock and I have it set to pattern. IF you remember to press the power on button to lock, it works, if you let the screen timeout, it fails every time and there is NO SECURITY. That's a pretty big issue that was missed.

It is SLOWER and less user friendly. If scrolling seems slower, it IS slower. One core or two, it should NOT be slower than GB and it is. I hate being a beta tester for their crap OS. Maybe it will get better, in a few months.

Huh? I just set up a pattern lock and it works for me as it should. I think your settings are wrong. Go to settings -> security -> automatically lock -> immediately and it'll lock immediately after the screen times out. Problem solved. No security hole...just user error.

#47 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

brad,

Again, I don't have the "security" issue. My phone will only go to the emergency dialer and trying to press the back button or menu button sends me to the lock.

YOU must not have read where I gave you a solution to the so called screen timeout issue. Its a setting that you can change so that your phone locks immediately when the screen times out. It defaults at 20 minutes.

Scrolling speed and transitions do not make for a slower OS. The phone can still only do a process in a certain amount of time. Transition speed only effects perception. If you want a snappier feel, go to developer settings and change transition speed to .5x instead of 1x.

I won't post in here anymore because this is basically just a rant thread. Hopefully you can find a happy medium with your phone.

#48 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Reading through the thread and i an confused about the security issue a well. Just tested password, pin, and pattern and all three lock the phone completely. No way to get pay any of it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

#49 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

Again, I don't have the "security" issue. My phone will only go to the emergency dialer and trying to press the back button or menu button sends me to the lock.

YOU must not have read where I gave you a solution to the so called screen timeout issue. Its a setting that you can change so that your phone locks immediately when the screen times out. It defaults at 20 minutes.

Scrolling speed and transitions do not make for a slower OS. The phone can still only do a process in a certain amount of time. Transition speed only effects perception. If you want a snappier feel, go to developer settings and change transition speed to .5x instead of 1x.

I won't post in here anymore because this is basically just a rant thread. Hopefully you can find a happy medium with your phone.

I would not call it a rant, my phone used to be great! Now it isn't. Your developer setting change from 1x to .5x DID affect the way my finger is detected
and it seems to page much faster. Thanks but how do you find this stuff and why didn't it come this way? Why would they cripple the OS if it's supposed to be so much better?

#50 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:52 AM

I would not call it a rant, my phone used to be great! Now it isn't. You developer setting change from 1x to 5x DID affect the way my finger is detected
and it seems to page much faster. Thanks but how do you find this stuff and why didn't it come this way? Why would they cripple the OS if it's supposed to be so much better?

Just because the default settings don't match your personal preference does not mean it's crippled. I find my phone plenty fast without changing this setting, and actually have it underclocked. People find this stuff out by playing with their phone, exploring the settings, general reading up on the topic like:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

(just something that came up with a quick google search).

Just a quick tip, you're going to get farther with things if you ask for help instead of bashing the update (which everyone seems to love) and complaining/ranting. You seem very confrontational, and if you notice, a lot of the posts are telling you to stop ranting, and that they love the update, and you're using your phone wrong. If you worded it like: my phone seems slower after the update, anything I can change to improve it? and you'd get the transition speed response right off the bat. Don't say they crippled the OS, when all you had to do was tweak it a bit, with an option that wasn't even present in GB (you either had animations or you didn't, now you can control the speed of them).

EDIT: If you've read the other posts too, you'll find your "security hole" is just a setting change as well.
  • Ahowe125 likes this

#51 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

Just because the default settings don't match your personal preference does not mean it's crippled. I find my phone plenty fast without changing this setting, and actually have it underclocked. People find this stuff out by playing with their phone, exploring the settings, general reading up on the topic like:

(just something that came up with a quick google search).

If you worded it like: my phone seems slower after the update, anything I can change to improve it? and you'd get the transition speed response right off the bat. Don't say they crippled the OS, when all you had to do was tweak it a bit, with an option that wasn't even present in GB (you either had animations or you didn't, now you can control the speed of them).

EDIT: If you've read the other posts too, you'll find your "security hole" is just a setting change as well.

I DID find that Immediate lock option after Brad suggested it. Thanks!
I went to that "Galaxy" site you suggested for android 4.0 and read about all the new 'fluff' they added. My mobile data threshold and nifty screenshots do not matter to me. I just want a phone that works as good as the one I bought. After living with this 4.0.4 for a month, I didn't like it any better than when it upgraded itself. The 'tips' that verizon tech suppport gave me to increase the battery life didn't work either.

I'll know today if I need to ask for more help if my new phone has the same OS on it. :(

Mick

#52 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

tucs,
it IS a downgrade, the slow ass OS is ics 4.0.4, my Droid RAZR used to be extremely fast with no lag at ll. Now it's garbage. You ARE lost.

I think you're issue had to be device related because many many people will contest that ics runs a lot faster since it's official release. If you think it's all placebo and everyone else is wrong except you than you might want to reconsider just who is lost.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#53 Ahowe125

Ahowe125

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Twitter:Ahowe125
  • Google+:Aaron Howe
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):VZW HTC One, Nexus 7

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

So did you get your new phone? And is it GB or ICS? And if its ICS did you notice any difference?

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on Eclipse v1.2 GPE Port |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4 |

#54 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

So did you get your new phone? And is it GB or ICS? And if its ICS did you notice any difference?

A,
Yes, it arrived but as soon as I saw the refurb label, I knew it was ICS. What I did was root my original phone, wipe everthing twice and then do a factory
OTA reload using Matt's 1.81 utility. I used MyBackup Pro for the back/restore in root mode so it wuold even restore apps and data settings. It's all
working pretty well now, my pOP3 email works but I stil have no contacts. Something about google's sync being broken for two days.

Thanks for asking.

#55 biggenrahj

biggenrahj

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

I recently made the grave mistake of tying to install (or go back to Razr-Eclipse-v1.3) what i did not know was when Motorola offered 4.0.4 ics i could not go back. now im stuck with a bricked razr that is stuck in boot loop. please help i just need to get this phone working again.

btw my reason for trying to go back was because the text messaging on the update was receiving text messages only when you opened your inbox (and yes the setting for instant notification where on)

#56 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

You need option #1.
Follow the instructions in that post very carefully, and you will be fine.
  • biggenrahj and Ahowe125 like this

#57 biggenrahj

biggenrahj

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Themer) thank you that fixed it!

#58 GeXX

GeXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Twitter:gexx

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

A,
Yes, it arrived but as soon as I saw the refurb label, I knew it was ICS. What I did was root my original phone, wipe everthing twice and then do a factory
OTA reload using Matt's 1.81 utility. I used MyBackup Pro for the back/restore in root mode so it wuold even restore apps and data settings. It's all
working pretty well now, my pOP3 email works but I stil have no contacts. Something about google's sync being broken for two days.

Thanks for asking.

Google sync has not been broken for 2 days..

The last outage was google talk on the 26th.. Trust me, I use google for personal & business and has not been out.

#59 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

Google sync has not been broken for 2 days..

The last outage was google talk on the 26th.. Trust me, I use google for personal & business and has not been out.

I can't remember the clever little statement that went with the RED icon for a dead google sync but it was there constantly.
Maybe googl didn't admit it was down. I suppose you believe the EPA and NOAA and .gov sites too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks

#60 Casen_

Casen_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

sync wasn't down. It has been working flawlessly for me for weeks now. It is an issue on your phones side of the server.

Turn off contact sync.

Wipe the data of the contacts app the contact storage app. (Can find both of those using your backup app)

Turn on contact sync.

If still an issue, go to Google.com, get to your contacts from there, save and export them. Then erase from Google server and re import.

It's just a small server communication glitch somewhere.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users