138 replies to this topic

#61 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,454 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

I see where your coming from but a lot of people don't pay attention or even know the power of these phones on root.  Heck I just discovered how awesome custom Rom's are yesterday and I was on root for 4 years before my HD.  How do you know to become educated if you didn't know you had an interest in the first place?  The biggest thing is most just root then forget.  I learned during my first root not to update with out checking what it does.  There needs to be some really good Root 101 articles produced out there.  Obviously how do you do that when mainstream media is controlled by the people who don't want you doing it.  People only educate themselves on these phones when they find they have a further interest. 

And isn't trying to discover the secret 90% of the fun to this forum and android forums alike?

I will add this I won't be updating I don't care how cool the new kitkat or whatever is unless there are known root methods available.  Blurry sidestrapped is keeping me entertained for now.

The problem I have with this line of thinking is that the people who take the time to root don't take the time to learn what root is, why they need it, or how to protect it.  They just "want root".  And those are the ones who scream and cry the loudest when they lose it during an update and are told that it's not likely to come back.  That's what irritates me about the whole thing.  They can take the time to figure out how to root but not be bothered to see if there's a thread on a new OTA stating whether it can be rooted or not?  It's not like the information is hidden from them.  Not any more than root was.  A 2 minute search would save people a lot of headache when it comes to preserving root access.

• kc6wke likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#62 wrestleloomis

wrestleloomis

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

The problem I have with this line of thinking is that the people who take the time to root don't take the time to learn what root is, why they need it, or how to protect it.  They just "want root".  And those are the ones who scream and cry the loudest when they lose it during an update and are told that it's not likely to come back.  That's what irritates me about the whole thing.  They can take the time to figure out how to root but not be bothered to see if there's a thread on a new OTA stating whether it can be rooted or not?  It's not like the information is hidden from them.  Not any more than root was.  A 2 minute search would save people a lot of headache when it comes to preserving root access.

Well we are talking about a consumer market where everyone was ok when cell phone companies said, "Your going to pay the same or more for way less service."  Then took away unlimited data and not many said a peep.  There is a ton of misinformation out there in regards to smartphones.  I just read an article on why Developer Edition phones are completely unnecessary because locked bootloaders can be circumvented and your wasting your money buying a phone out right.  Tweaking a smartphone outside of the app store is still very underground I don't know many people with rooted phones.  But as long as people like you continue to push on, we may just win out and I thank you a ton for that.

#63 kc6wke

kc6wke

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

Well Said

#64 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,454 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

I agree that there's a ton of misinformation out there.  We try to correct that as best we can.  And make people's lives a little bit easier when dealing with a very expensive piece of equipment.  It horrifies me when I see people be so reckless with such equipment.  And then end up bricking it.  And then not taking responsibility for being in the situation.  LOL.  I create things like the House of Moto to help people out of those situations.  But the root thing I have little control over.  Other than to preach that people should, in fact, spend the money on developer phones.  I'm one of the people who bailed on VZW due to their asinine policies.  Bought a GPE and went to AT&T non-contract and don't regret the decision for a minute.  Best thing is, if I want root, I wrote a script to automate the process for me.  No exploits required.  If I want a custom rom, I flash one and call it good.  I care about those things, so, I put my money where my mouth was to ensure I could do them.  People need to understand that the days of subsidized phones are history.  But with that end comes choice.  And VZW will be forced to join AT&T and T-Mobile in lowering prices for non-contract users.  And they'll be forced to allow more open devices on their network.  Then when you wanna root, you just flash it like anything else.

• kitbash likes this

#65 Mr-Glass

Mr-Glass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

Well said..  probably off topic, but This is a serious quiestion?  Why are Dev phones priced higher - Didn't the bootloader unlock prove that the hardware is the same?

#66 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,454 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

It's off topic but I'll answer it cause it's an important question.  They aren't subsidized.  That's why they're higher priced.  It's the same as if you bought a non-subsidized consumer phone at retail price.  What's nice, however, is Moto is recognizing the fact that people don't want to outlay that kind of cash all up front.  So they offer interest free financing for 18 months on those developer edition phones.  And they recently dropped the price on the X developer editions.  The reality is, there's no justification for buying subsidized and locking yourself into a contract.  Except for the fact that VZW doesn't YET offer non-contract pricing like T-Mobile and AT&T does.  It's coming.  It's just a matter of when, not if.

#67 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

It's off topic but I'll answer it cause it's an important question.  They aren't subsidized.  That's why they're higher priced.  It's the same as if you bought a non-subsidized consumer phone at retail price.  What's nice, however, is Moto is recognizing the fact that people don't want to outlay that kind of cash all up front.  So they offer interest free financing for 18 months on those developer edition phones.  And they recently dropped the price on the X developer editions.  The reality is, there's no justification for buying subsidized and locking yourself into a contract.  Except for the fact that VZW doesn't YET offer non-contract pricing like T-Mobile and AT&T does.  It's coming.  It's just a matter of when, not if.

Just to chime in, the 18 months is for $549 and up, all else is 12 months.  The Dev X is currently under that.

• SamuriHL likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#68 wrestleloomis

wrestleloomis

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

I agree that there's a ton of misinformation out there.  We try to correct that as best we can.  And make people's lives a little bit easier when dealing with a very expensive piece of equipment.  It horrifies me when I see people be so reckless with such equipment.  And then end up bricking it.  And then not taking responsibility for being in the situation.  LOL.  I create things like the House of Moto to help people out of those situations.  But the root thing I have little control over.  Other than to preach that people should, in fact, spend the money on developer phones.  I'm one of the people who bailed on VZW due to their asinine policies.  Bought a GPE and went to AT&T non-contract and don't regret the decision for a minute.  Best thing is, if I want root, I wrote a script to automate the process for me.  No exploits required.  If I want a custom rom, I flash one and call it good.  I care about those things, so, I put my money where my mouth was to ensure I could do them.  People need to understand that the days of subsidized phones are history.  But with that end comes choice.  And VZW will be forced to join AT&T and T-Mobile in lowering prices for non-contract users.  And they'll be forced to allow more open devices on their network.  Then when you wanna root, you just flash it like anything else.

I live in an area that basically only VZW services well I would have loved to abandoned ship a long time ago.  That's the only reason VZW has been able to hold out this long with there F job, coverage.  However I refuse to use there subsidies, I've been off contract and unlimited everything with them.  However there pricing is outrages.  I get a 20% discount because of who I work for, but they just stopped my discount said I needed to resubmit proof of employment to continue but conveniently  they are unable to read the pdf file that I repeatedly sent to renew my discount.  VZW was great when they had to compete as soon as they cornered the market your best bet was finding good lube.

Sorry way off topic.

For those of you just tuning in did you know you can achieve ROOT again on the Razr HD and M?  Just follow these simple steps thanks kc6wke and everyone else involved. 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• kc6wke likes this

#69 mtdew0000

mtdew0000

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

i just want to be 100% sure, 
the link on the front page --------> 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

is the link to root the 9.18.94 razr hd maxx right? it says it on these forums and it looks like it works but it doesnt say anything about that specific phone in the post anywhere

#70 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

Yes

Sent From My DEV X

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#71 ixice

ixice

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Let me throw my 2 cents in, it worked on my Razr Maxx HD, took about 2 minutes from start to finish!

• livinginkaos likes this

#72 vic2497

vic2497

normal droid person

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR HD

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Thank the lord! I have root!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Attached Files

#73 kc6wke

kc6wke

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

Guys, I'm very happy that this worked on the razr's and was able to share this finding. :D

I know how it is when root is unavailable for a device (going back to the Eris days). Wish I found this out before I bought my S4, But gotta move on.

Anyway.

Enjoy :)

kc6wke

• cmh714 likes this

#74 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

Jeez, and I know at least I thought you had an HD kc6wke. You deserve more props for the find in that case.

#75 kc6wke

kc6wke

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Jeez, and I know at least I thought you had an HD kc6wke. You deserve more props for the find in that case.

I did,

Got one off ebay 3 wks ago that had a defective SD slot so I finally sent it back for a refund today.

As fare as the props go, I'm just happy I could help and you guys got root now :)

• cmh714 likes this

#76 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

Well I am unlocked, so this is for the others :)

#77 td030981

td030981

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr M (4.1.2)

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

This worked perfectly on my razr m 98.18.94 xt907. Thanks a lot. Great work. Was bombed when I lost root after the latest update. Now I can get my apps back. :wub:

Sent from my XT907 (rooted again) using Tapatalk 2

• livinginkaos and mapple42011 like this

#78 fbalb

fbalb

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:10 AM

Ok for me

XT925  3.0.42   98.21.22003

Thanks

How can i do a Nandroid Backup without unlock  ?

• livinginkaos likes this

#79 mapple42011

mapple42011

matt_hendrickson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:@Matt_Hendrick99
  • LocationU.S.A.
  • Current Device(s):Motorola DROID RAZR XT912 (Rooted)

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

So this won't work on my RAZR M on 98.18.94 is what you guys are saying..?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

-Just a 17 year old boy who wants to make things better-

#80 mapple42011

mapple42011

matt_hendrickson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:@Matt_Hendrick99
  • LocationU.S.A.
  • Current Device(s):Motorola DROID RAZR XT912 (Rooted)

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

I've only read the first couple pages, sorry if my question frustrates anybody

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

-Just a 17 year old boy who wants to make things better-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users