#1 eyecre8

eyecre8

Mod/News Team Leader

• 108 posts
  • Google+:eyecre8
  • LocationOhio/Florida
  • Current Device(s):2 Razr's (xt912) & Asus TF700T

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

Over the past year a few new apps have gotten attention by the security & privacy community. Here are a few relatively new ones for your review:

1) Snoopwall:

Described by the company as "counterveillance anti-spyware software for consumers", SnoopWall is designed to block eavesdropping, protect the camera, microphone, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, WiFi and "other high-risk data ports".

This app has been created in response to the poor permission control offered natively by Android over apps. As Facebook users have noted over the last few weeks, for example, their Android app is now demanding access to SMS / MMS, calendar events, and WiFi control. Users can also manage which ports are available to individual apps. "This privacy and security feature lets users disable the ability of individual apps to access sensitive, personally identifiable information such as geographic location and address book data," the company says.

The app is now available for download from Google Play,

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

(

)

**Notice: The free version  only notifies/reports  the spying that is occurring on your device and by which app. The Paid version which supposedly costs around $1.29 /month will actively block

2) Xprivacy:

XPrivacy can prevent applications from leaking privacy sensitive data. XPrivacy can restrict the categories of data an application can access. This is done by feeding an application with no or fake data. There are several data categories which can be restricted, for example contacts or location. For example, if you restrict access to contacts for an application, this will result in sending an empty contact list to the application. Similarly, restricting an application's access to your location will result in a set location being sent to the application.

Available

(

)

3)  Advanced Permissions Manager

This tool is able to browse the permissions of installed Apps and generate various permissions reports (such as which Apps have permission to automatically start, send SMS, etc). More importantly, it allows you to modify the App permissions (which does not require root privileges!) which is rare for a security tool. Refuse rights to malicious Apps! Freely remove the permissions you do not trust.
Available

:  (

)

4) Permission Manager:
"Comprehensive permission management tool. (also for non rooted devices)
This experimental app is able to reduce any permission of an app - while still enabling the user experience. Since Permission Manager is still an experimental tool, we recommend that at this stage, only install if you are a skillful user. We are just getting started and have many more surprises and functionality we will share with you soon. Please take a minute to read the tutorial before you start and understand the process of permission reduction. When "reducing" permissions of an app, it may happen that certain permissions you would like to reduce will cause the app to crash, this is OK. If that happens please take a second to report that to us."

Available

(

)

If you have experience with any of these please share your opinions and results.

• satman80, johnthehillbilly, livinginkaos and 2 others like this
My name is Eyecre8 and I approve this message!
Posted Image

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:26 AM

Once again, nicely done. Looking the idea of the xprivacy app. Going to have to check these out ....

Sent From My DEV X

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 eyecre8

eyecre8

Mod/News Team Leader

• 108 posts
  • Google+:eyecre8
  • LocationOhio/Florida
  • Current Device(s):2 Razr's (xt912) & Asus TF700T

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

I always come back to the Whispercore app conversation when we get onto this discussion.

Best app I have ever seen...written by Moxie Marlinspike. It sandboxed the permissions you didn't like thereby allowing the app to run unaffected but never getting true access to your goods.

The company was bought out by twitter though and the app then disappeared.... go figure. Haven't seen anything like it appear on the market since.

I tried writing him to see if he would re-release it somehow but never got a response.

• kellym and cmh714 like this
My name is Eyecre8 and I approve this message!
Posted Image

#4 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

Moxie is a beast of a hacker. Another great write-up!!

• johnthehillbilly likes this

#5 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Google+:kellym
  • LocationNY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel XL

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

This is invaluable.  I haven't updated Facebook because of the overt permissions they are looking for.  I had no idea these apps existed - thanks!

• eyecre8 and cmh714 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Permissions, Privacy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users