Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 thaijunk

thaijunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

I guess this means anyone on the unlimited plan caught using any of those apps will be violating their terms and be forced into a tiered plan?

Sent from my pager maxx using Tapatalk.

#3 Oaklands

Oaklands

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

It looks like the few of us who continue paying full price for phones to keep unlimited data are going to be out of luck with this. We still pay for the service and pay more for the phones to keep it. It doesn't make sense to single out shared plans to reap the benefit of this. That small fine is not even a dent in their pocketbook.

#4 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

That's an assumption you guys. It doesn't say that anywhere in the article's "press release."
  • 11/11/11EPIC likes this

#5 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

Apparently Verizon was in violation of the law when they blocked peoples access to apps on the Play store that allow you to tether. So not only will Big Red have to pay out 1.25 million in files for these violations but they will also now have to allow us access to those apps again.

• HouseMD likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#6 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Apparently Verizon was in violation of the law when they blocked peoples access to apps on the Play store that allow you to tether. So not only will Big Red have to pay out 1.25 million in files for these violations but they will also now have to allow us access to those apps again.

Not sure how VZW thinks they can say this doesn't apply to unlimited data plans. Unlimited users are paying for service as well. The only difference, is they have likely been paying for it longer and as such should likely be more valued customers. Hopefully now that the FCC acknowledges that Block C actually does exist they will also begin demanding the release of bootloader unlock tools.

#7 en7gm4

en7gm4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/#!/en7gm4
  • LocationtEXas

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

I thought they were also in violation with blocking bootloaders also but you see how that turned out. They will find away to get around blocking the tether apps to. Verizon says screw the FCC.

#8 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

#9 mrmuggyd

mrmuggyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Any idea of what it does for the people that don't use the apps but used SQLite editor app and changed the Entitlement Check?

#10 Droid2drummer

Droid2drummer

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Twitter:@imanotemaker
  • Google+:robertclarkga@gmail.com
  • LocationWarner Robins GA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

I only care about one thing and the rest is garbage....Verizon monitoring your downloaded Apps? OK.. well I know they can see many things on the phone and had a good feeling they can pull what ever info they wanted but damn this is proof they are watching the people with foxfi and other tether apps that exceed their limits... I'm unlimited. And while I'm on the subject, I have never hit over 8 gigs in one month. I'm going to test this theory. I will push as high as I can... Anyone want to join who can burn the most? LOL data that is...This idea is stupid but so is dangling carrots... that what phone companies are doing. Buy a product with potential but do not use it to its potential or we will charge you. We watch your every download here to ensure consumer safety...lmao

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#11 cAsE sEnSiTiVe

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'm going to test this theory. I will push as high as I can... Anyone want to join who can burn the most? LOL data that is...

I used almost 31gig last month. We'll see what we'll see....

#12 ogrekane313

ogrekane313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

i used 62 gigs 2 months ago

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#13 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Any idea of what it does for the people that don't use the apps but used SQLite editor app and changed the Entitlement Check?

Yeah uh, that's still warez and they're not gonna condone that.

Now you can use Barnacle or WiFi Tether instead and stop doing bad things.

#14 Nnnnr12

Nnnnr12

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Google+:hairstont14
  • LocationLagrange, Ga

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

I don't get it... when did they ever block tethering apps

Sent from my .215 ikream RAZR

DroidRazr Maxx HD safestrapping!!

#15 Jcubed

Jcubed

Android Rescue Squad Leader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Google+:lovethelordjjj@gmail.com

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

The FCC has come to a settlement with Verizon Wireless that will allow customers of the nation’s largest wireless network to use tethering apps from the Android market, and thus circumvent the $20 monthly fee Verizon charges for using a phone as a mobile hot spot.

Posted Image

"Under the terms of today’s settlement, Verizon Wireless will make a voluntary payment to the Treasury in the amount of $1.25 million, and has committed to notifying the application store operator that it no longer objects to the availability of the tethering applications to C-Block network customers in the operator’s online market. Verizon Wireless has also agreed to implement a compliance plan, requiring
that:
  • employees will receive training on compliance with the C Block rules;
  • future communications with application store operators regarding the availability of applications to Verizon Wireless customers will be reviewed in advance by legal counsel; and
  • Verizon will report any instances of noncompliance with the rule at issue that might occur during the two-year term of the plan.
In addition, the company recently revised its service offerings such that consumers on usage-based pricing plans may tether, using any application, without paying an additional fee."

Hooray! We can use our apps without being afraid of it not working. . . unless the apps of course don't work themselves! :) Discuss!

Via:

Posted Image

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#16 flashman2002

flashman2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

I am happy about this! I might need to cancel my internet and if I do, my data plan will take over. I already have the SQ lite hack so I am set up.

#17 james

james

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Locationsouthern cali
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 Verizon

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

SWEET TIMES 1000 as soon as 4g is stable where i live bye bye internet and the wife and will will just use are cell phones as are primary internet we have the unlimited data plan

#18 dccoh

dccoh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

I read in an article that this doesnt apply to unlmited data plans.

"The FCC also is saying that Verizon cannot charge customers on tiered data plans the $20 a month tethering fee, but it can charge it for those customers who are on an unlimited data plan. However, Verizon will not actually have a way to determine if customers are using one of these apps, so presumably any Android customer can download one of those apps and tether to their heart’s content."

I'd say that Verizon will try to come up with a way to monitor unlimited accounts that heavily use tethering so they can get their hotspot fee, especially if the FCC is allowing them to charge for it.

#19 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Looks like everyone's "access fees & surcharges" just went up by 1.25mil.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2
  • Prymaldark likes this

#20 pinoy_92

pinoy_92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

I read in an article that this doesnt apply to unlmited data plans.

"The FCC also is saying that Verizon cannot charge customers on tiered data plans the $20 a month tethering fee, but it can charge it for those customers who are on an unlimited data plan. However, Verizon will not actually have a way to determine if customers are using one of these apps, so presumably any Android customer can download one of those apps and tether to their heart’s content."

I'd say that Verizon will try to come up with a way to monitor unlimited accounts that heavily use tethering so they can get their hotspot fee, especially if the FCC is allowing them to charge for it.

what this guy said!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users