#21 Jcubed

Jcubed

Android Rescue Squad Leader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Google+:lovethelordjjj@gmail.com

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

I read in an article that this doesnt apply to unlmited data plans.

"The FCC also is saying that Verizon cannot charge customers on tiered data plans the $20 a month tethering fee, but it can charge it for those customers who are on an unlimited data plan. However, Verizon will not actually have a way to determine if customers are using one of these apps, so presumably any Android customer can download one of those apps and tether to their heart’s content."

I'd say that Verizon will try to come up with a way to monitor unlimited accounts that heavily use tethering so they can get their hotspot fee, especially if the FCC is allowing them to charge for it.

Verizon cannot do more than monitor the usage of data on an account. Therefore, they will not know if someone is just streaming videos while uploading and downloading mass amounts of files at a time. . . on their phone. The way you are suggesting is that, Verizon can see all user data and interaction on the phone itself, and what the phone is being used for. If Verizon did this, it would be in violation of the ownership of the product, and therefore the owner's privacy.

Posted Image

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#22 dccoh

dccoh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Verizon cannot do more than monitor the usage of data on an account. Therefore, they will not know if someone is just streaming videos while uploading and downloading mass amounts of files at a time. . . on their phone. The way you are suggesting is that, Verizon can see all user data and interaction on the phone itself, and what the phone is being used for. If Verizon did this, it would be in violation of the ownership of the product, and therefore the owner's privacy.

I think there is always things going on that we don't know (conspiracy theory! :) I agree, I dont think that they could monitor us besides seeing our high data usage which shouldnt matter if you are unlimited. With how big corporations are about money and not the costumer, it wouldnt surprise me if Big Red told data users that a new security app is required to be installed in order to verify them on the data network and allow access. And of course that app makes sure that if you are unlimited then it monitors tethering to see if you paid the $$ for it and blocks it otherwise.

Now I realize what I'm saying is far fetched, but i've been surprised more times than not.

ps. lovethelord, I believe you meant to post earlier and you instead edited my post with your comment, but I edited it back. You had me thinking that I had one too many this evening :)
  • Jcubed likes this

#23 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

This ruling was needed. Verizon has been out of control with charging customers twice for the same thing. I agree with it 100 percent... If someone has a data cap then they should be able to use that data however they want. I just hope unlimited users don't think this is there cue to do the same and abuse the system because Verizon will shut us down one way or another.. The way I look at it is that now since I'm paying full price to keep my plan., Verizon basically raised the monthly data fee from 30.00 a month to 45.00...the extra 15.00 they save by not subsidizing a device every 2 yrs.. 15x 24 months equals 360.00 about this average subsidiary on a new device... I used to try to keep my data no higher than 2gb average... Now I'm a little more lenient with my usage... Also the S3 is a data hog..... It must waste data jumping from 3/4G 40x a day... My data has tripled since I switched to it and I'm not using it anymore than the razr.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#24 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

I don't get it... when did they ever block tethering apps

Sent from my .215 ikream RAZR

They removed pdanet from playstore a while back when it was still market. Looks like it in play store now

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. Dont know how long its been there though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#25 mrmuggyd

mrmuggyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

Yeah uh, that's still warez and they're not gonna condone that.

Now you can use Barnacle or WiFi Tether instead and stop doing bad things.

Sorry, not trying to be difficult, but confused...how is doing that warez?? Warez to me is pirated software. How is changing the entitlement using SQLite software that I purchased and using the built-in Hot Spot software considered "warez"?

#26 flashman2002

flashman2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Sorry, not trying to be difficult, but confused...how is doing that warez?? Warez to me is pirated software. How is changing the entitlement using SQLite software that I purchased and using the built-in Hot Spot software considered "warez"?

I am curious about that thought as well. I guess since it is verizons app and you are manipulating it to be free, tbat might be what tson is meaning?

#27 Hero_Indeed

Hero_Indeed

Android Rescue Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

This is some pretty good news. Definitely a win for the home team! On a side note...stock ICS looks kind of sad doesn't it? Posted Image That looks much happier!
Posted Image

#28 Jcubed

Jcubed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

I think there is always things going on that we don't know (conspiracy theory! :) I agree, I dont think that they could monitor us besides seeing our high data usage which shouldnt matter if you are unlimited. With how big corporations are about money and not the costumer, it wouldnt surprise me if Big Red told data users that a new security app is required to be installed in order to verify them on the data network and allow access. And of course that app makes sure that if you are unlimited then it monitors tethering to see if you paid the $$ for it and blocks it otherwise.

Now I realize what I'm saying is far fetched, but i've been surprised more times than not.

ps. lovethelord, I believe you meant to post earlier and you instead edited my post with your comment, but I edited it back. You had me thinking that I had one too many this evening :)

sorry bout that haha

Posted Image

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#29 Jcubed

Jcubed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

This is some pretty good news. Definitely a win for the home team! On a side note...stock ICS looks kind of sad doesn't it? Posted Image That looks much happier!

your pic doesnt show ;)

Posted Image

#30 james

james

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Locationsouthern cali
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 Verizon

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

i think it is a joke that us with the unlimited data plan could possibly get the screws it is bad enough that i have to pay full price for a phone if i wanna upgrade and still pay the 30.00 dollars a month for the data now i have to pay another 20 for tether on top of my bill that is already 150.00 for 2 phones and both are unlimited.....i hope in the end everyone will have free tether that is what is right we already paid for the function on our phones when we got them and now we have to pay more to use the features

#31 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Aaaand thread number 3.

:I
  • Jcubed likes this

#32 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Twitter:@JasonCollins23
  • LocationClarksville, TN
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock Rooted on 4.3/Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- Redemption Rom v6.1

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Well, I guess I'll do my part. Suck on this usage, Big Red!! Plan to do more next month!

Attached Files

• Attached File  data.jpg   85.44KB   11 downloads

Posted Image

#33 alexh037

alexh037

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWoodland Hills, CA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Well, I guess I'll do my part. Suck on this usage, Big Red!! Plan to do more next month!

Holy @#$%! And i thought the 10gb i hit last month was a lot lol!

#34 coletrane09

coletrane09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Twitter:coletrane09
  • LocationHart, MI

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

that's what i say..... And i thought i used a lot mostly streaming at work but its supposed to be unlimited

Attached Files

#35 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

You're circumventing the entitlement check (meaning the thing that checks to see if you purchased the plan that allows you to use the tethering app or not) and using paid software. That's warez, basically the equivalent of downloading a Photoshop trial from Adobe and disabling the check on startup to see if 30 days have passed. You're using paid software for free without limitation.

#36 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Twitter:@JasonCollins23
  • LocationClarksville, TN
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock Rooted on 4.3/Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- Redemption Rom v6.1

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

Lol. I wanted to see if they say something. I busted 20 of those gigs in one day. I turn on FoxFi and use my Logitech Revue and connect to it. I use Netflix and stream HD content. While that's running I put on on the PC as well. Usage starts clicking quick.. I plan on doing 200 gig this month.
Posted Image

#37 dpratt23

dpratt23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

The entitlement check is bullsh1t. I paid for the phone and all its features. It is nothing short of racketeering forcing us to go thru them to get tethering ability. So idc who thinks it is warez really. I am walking my own path and i know it is the right one. They are crooks.....not us

#38 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

Looks like everyone's "access fees & surcharges" just went up by 1.25mil.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

Yup

I am :ph34r: fear my blade!

Posted Image

#39 dpratt23

dpratt23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

Lol. I wanted to see if they say something. I busted 20 of those gigs in one day. I turn on FoxFi and use my Logitech Revue and connect to it. I use Netflix and stream HD content. While that's running I put on on the PC as well. Usage starts clicking quick.. I plan on doing 200 gig this month.

Run it dude

• portscan likes this

#40 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

The entitlement check is bullsh1t. I paid for the phone and all its features. It is nothing short of racketeering forcing us to go thru them to get tethering ability. So idc who thinks it is warez really. I am walking my own path and i know it is the right one. They are crooks.....not us

Yeah I think it's BS that Adobe charges $600 dollars for their CS6 suite, doesn't mean I can pirate it and be oblivious to law enforcement just because I think they're overcharging... I'm still stealing software/services that I'm not paying for.

...But you do have the option of using GIMP or something else that does the job just as well if not better for free, though. (Which, in this case, would be WiFi Tether, FoxFi, Tether, etc.) WiFi Tether does the job better than the "Mobile Hotspot" app that comes with your phone, and is legal, and Verizon is unable to block it... so, why not use that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users