15 replies to this topic

#1 johnmackesy

johnmackesy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hello, I'm a noob that only knows enough to be dangerous. I successfully rooted and unlocked the bootloader. I downloaded Safestrap 3.12 but never actually installed it. Did install TWRP 2.5 and made a backup.

I would like to give this phone to my daughter, but can't figure out how to return it to stock to allow her to set it up as her phone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 rocket

rocket

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

RSD Lite back to stock Search for the details

• johnmackesy likes this

#3 mudvayne622

mudvayne622

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Can I just do a factory reset or do I need to flash stock recovery and then do wipe? Im planning on selling my BL unlocked and rooted HD on swappa

Droid RAZR Maxx HD Unlocked/Rooted (JB Stock 4.1.2)

#4 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

Factory reset won't eliminate all data.  If you flash with RSD I believe it will put the stock recovery back in place.  Since the BL is unlocked, it will be really easy for the buyer to flash back an aftermarket recovery and then root by flashing a SU .zip in recovery.  If you want to sell the phone already rooted, there are a couple of options.  You can restore with RSD and re-root or you can wipe data/system/format system via recovery and then flash a pre-rooted ROM.  Personally, I would just do a full restore with RSD/House of Moto and sell a completely stock phone.  I'd rather leave the rooting and roming up to whoever purchases the phone.  It's really easy to flash and root with an unlocked BL.

• cmh714 likes this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#5 mudvayne622

mudvayne622

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

Factory reset won't eliminate all data.  If you flash with RSD I believe it will put the stock recovery back in place.  Since the BL is unlocked, it will be really easy for the buyer to flash back an aftermarket recovery and then root by flashing a SU .zip in recovery.  If you want to sell the phone already rooted, there are a couple of options.  You can restore with RSD and re-root or you can wipe data/system/format system via recovery and then flash a pre-rooted ROM.  Personally, I would just do a full restore with RSD/House of Moto and sell a completely stock phone.  I'd rather leave the rooting and roming up to whoever purchases the phone.  It's really easy to flash and root with an unlocked BL.

I appreciate your answer and I have used House of Moto before. I will use HoM to flash back to stock before i sell it. Just for personal reference I am curious about the answer to my original question. Flash back to stock recovery and then factory reset or does it not matter?

#6 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:49 AM

If you use House of Moto..... You will not need to flash stock recovery..... It will do it for you........ Don't forget to wipe your internal storage and remove the sdcard before selling the phone or your personal data is still at risk

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#7 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

Use the FULL script in the House of Moto to wipe the data partition.  And yes, you still need to wipe internal and either wipe or pull the ext sdcard.

• RikRong likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#8 mudvayne622

mudvayne622

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:21 AM

Ran house of Moto. That all went fine. For an extra $50 the buyer wants me to root/install supersu and twrp. I have the updateSU.zip still on my SD card but ive forgotten how to get TWRP on here. I ran the Utility for version 6 but i still had Stock recovery instead of TWRP. Said it couldnt find SU. Do i need to install The SU.Zip first? can i install it from stock recovery?

#9 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

It has to be fastbooted on if you don't have root installed first.  And you MUST boot directly to TWRP after fastbooting it WITHOUT rebooting into the OS else it'll replace TWRP with stock recovery.

#10 mudvayne622

mudvayne622

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Yeah i know nothing about fastboot but Id really like an extra $50 LoL. Can I PM you Samuri?

#11 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

Not to step in, but I feel like I must.  Did you really think about what you just stated and asked?  If you want the extra $50, I suggest you do some work for it, and do some searching.   What you are needing can easily be found with a little effort.

• rickw and johnthehillbilly like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#12 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

Are you using my House of Moto?  If so, and you're on an unlocked device (which seems obvious that you are considering you're attempting to install TWRP) you can use my Universal Root add on.  Drop TWRP in there while you're at it and solve problems at once.  ;)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Just remember what I said...once TWRP is flashed, DO NOT reboot into the OS until you've booted recovery first.  Else it'll get overwritten and look like it didn't work.

#13 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Not to step in, but I feel like I must.  Did you really think about what you just stated and asked?  If you want the extra $50, I suggest you do some work for it, and do some searching.   What you are needing can easily be found with a little effort.

This is also quite true.  My philosophy, as you'll see all over my threads, is to read, read again, and read one more time™.  Especially considering that you are doing this for extra cash, I have to agree with Kaos that a bit of learning is appropriate.

#14 mudvayne622

mudvayne622

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

Agreed and thanks for the help.

#15 mudvayne622

mudvayne622

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Got it rooted and TWRP installed. Thanks again

#16 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

@johnmackesy

If you're still having problems, please open a new thread as this one got hijacked.  Hopefully you got it sorted but if not, we'll help you out.

• satman80 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users