Photo

User Rom Idea

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

Everyday holds a different challenge, how will you meet them?

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationAnywhere you Aren't

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

I would like to take a few weeks and discuss an idea that has been dancing around the large empty space in my head lately. I would like people to, if you are interested, take a few minutes and discuss what you are looking for and wanting in a ROM. I don't want things like: I want more JB, or I want to go back to GB... I want to get a good feel for what, YOU, the user wants in a custom ROM. Maybe we can come up with a slim baseline with flash-able mods, such as the drop down toggles, 1% battery, Beats Audio...you get the idea. I don't want to hear about Market Apps, just about the things you think the developers can add or subtract, or just do differently. Also, I would like to know everyone's preference for base: Blur, AOKP, or CM9. I will be adding my own thoughts right under this thread soon. I also DO NOT want this to become a "my favorite rom is.." if you like something from a certain rom, then that is fine, but this is NOT a vote.

Thank you,

Oh yeah, if any admins or other staff think this should go somewhere else, then please move it. Thank you.
  • vtwinbmx, BytecodeMe and HouseMD like this

#2 Brian

Brian

Everyday holds a different challenge, how will you meet them?

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationAnywhere you Aren't

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

So, I am very pleased with the response so far. I have to say that everyone seems to want a lot of the same things, which is good. I myself would like my custom Rom to have the following features:
As a base I would like to use AOSP;
I want the basics to work, this is my PHONE first, my toy second, so the obvious choices for this are:
-data on boot
-one of things I don't like is favorites on my dialer, I would much rather have my contacts in place of favorites
-blue tooth
-WiFi
Personally, having drop down toggles and 1% battery are huge necessities. I don't use the voice actions or a lot of the bells and whistles that Android has added to grab IPhone users, so I would like to have those as flash-able mods.

I think that If I had a slim and trim base with the option to flash in all the extras in sensible groups, that would be awesome. Then I could use my phone the way I want to, not how my Rom or VZW or Moto dictates.

So, after the week is up and I have plenty of feedback, I am going to get together with some dev's and themers, and put together this Rom. I will of course be a tester, but as the Rom develops, I would like 3 or 4 other testers to help put on the final touches.

Edited by SpyderMaxx, 05 August 2012 - 07:18 AM.

#3 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

GREAT IDEA

#4 mgrimmenator

mgrimmenator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

i for like one would a rom that stripped down and streamlined as much as possible. then have most packages be add-ons like you said, so people can add what they like etc. As for Blur, AOKP, CM9 etc i'm not really sure. I love the work that nitro did on eclipse and i assume it is mostly AOSP but not sure. the only real blur application that i liked was the blur camera and only one feature of it. the multishot. if the ics camera had that instead of panorama i'd say not blur at all, which i'm still leaning towards. Either way i beleive a bloat free, stream lined, optimized and maybe even overclocked, undervolted rom should be the base. maybe even have 3 or 4 identical roms, one for each base. ie one AOKP, AOSP, CM9 etc. i guess the add-ons would then need to be different for each since the bases were different. Also I would say stick to the google standard theme for ics. that way themes can be created later for what users want but start with a default stock or standard looking theme for each base.

#5 Torin_93

Torin_93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

I like something thats super slim and lite and greared towards music! Optimized and overclocked as said above with no theme, just as stock as possible lol

#6 fastfoodfred

fastfoodfred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

since the screen is the largest battery eater on my phone, how about a better automatic brightness? one that in dim light, like my bedroom at night, it doesn't hurt the eyes, yet in bright sun, it is still viewable.

Oh, of course something that gets 48 hours out of a standard Razr, not the Maxx, shutting things down during use, rather than when only sleeping that are not being used, without making the screen jumpy. AOSP is my vote. Not a fan of the unicorn or some of the built in wallpapers, I do like the multimillion toggles to choose from, though.

#7 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

pulldown toggles,assorted battery options(1%) of course,reboot and recovery options in power window
  • listenman20, barkleyfan and larrydp like this

#8 larrydp

larrydp

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

pulldown toggles,assorted battery options(1%) of course,reboot and recovery options in power window

I'd love to be able to just customize the deodexed 215 stock to have reboot/recover options and the pull down toggles. Other than that it's just about perfect.

#9 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

forgot to add blur rom

#10 Kebob

Kebob

Dev

• Developer
  • 246 posts
  • Google+:kebob.rzr@gmail.com
  • LocationWashington

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

Those are the last 2 things I am working on in my blur rom. Hopfully they will be done soon But Ill get you guys know when i get ti working

#11 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

kebob,you mean artic or yours

#12 Kebob

Kebob

Dev

• Developer
  • 246 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

I mean mine. Maybe Ill add them to artic as well

#13 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

if you need a tester let me know,i have a nice digital battey for it

#14 Kebob

Kebob

Dev

• Developer
  • 246 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

alright cool. Ill let you know when I get reboot and toggles done. I am going to try and get at least 1 of them done today so maybe later today Ill upload

#15 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

send me you GT,we'll see about battery

#16 megahertz1970

megahertz1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Google+:markw4itg@gmail.com
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

I would love to see something super fast! I have noticed that different ROMS are fast in some areas and not others and vice versa. Like some are good in the graphics benchmark scores but not in the I/O benchmark scores. Definitely something that is overclocked without having to add scripts or flash anything to do it, and also be able to be underclocked too. Also to have it dependent on whether the screen is on or off.

Something that has better brightness control, the stock auto brightness stinks when it comes to low light surroundings, it's way too bright. Of course lots of pull down toggles and the 1% battery, and power options for when you want to turn the phone off, reboot, recovery, etc..

I know I may be asking for too much but those are my thoughts. Thanks SpyderMaxx

#17 chuck24

chuck24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

The Arctic is my fave..... Needs pulldown toggles and the stock battery with no %.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#18 megahertz1970

megahertz1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Google+:markw4itg@gmail.com
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

The Arctic is my fave.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Apparently chuck24 can't read.

I almost forgot, everything inverted that can be would be cool. Not that I like darkness so much but I like the contrast of white characters on a black back round easier for me to see in any light conditions. As far as overclock I would like to see it go as fast as it can but still be stable like 1400-1500 Mhz. Just my 2 cents. Thanks

#19 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

As black as possible
CM/AOKP base prefered if possible to provide other required functions, only reason being that they are not dependent on Moto/Verizon to continue providing a new source but instead continue to improve daily and transparently. Likely would need to be Blur based.
HDMI mirroring
Lapdock support
Recognizes the Nav dock (The docks provide great extra potential functionality for automation/environmental customization, and could be used as fantastic triggers for controlling profiles)
Dropdown toggles
Little to no pre-installed apps that we could always just grab ourselves from the market
Init.D support
Customizable lockscreen
Additional schedulers/governors /w tweaked settings baked in
Homescreen locked in memory
Image quality maxed
Option to load apps in tablet mode (ParanoidAndroid-esque)
  • HouseMD and the.internet like this

#20 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

I agree with the stripped down, streamlined idea with flashable zip packages.

I would also it to be AOSP themed but based on Blur so that everything works. Have toggles in the notification bar and 1% battery. I'd like a 2 way ICS lockscreen with a sound toggle and unlock, instead of camera and unlock. Completely blacked out with white instead of the ICS blue.

The boot animation should be something HD with great graphics like the Eclipse animation. (Although boot animation isn't a big deal, it just completes the package).

I think this is an awesome idea.

Does anybody remember ZombieStomped for the Droid X? That was my all time favorite rom even though it was Blur because it had a customizer built in with several themes, boot logos, boot animations, overclock and undervolt options and more. Those were all accessible using Terminal Emulator. It just seemed like it was the most complete experience. All the themes and stuff were custom for that rom made by Mobile_sensei

Sent from my DROID RAZR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users