77 replies to this topic

#41 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

yes, I posted earlier, but it's worthwhile to re-affirm what others said that I didn't mention - but I believe are worthwhile ideas:

flashable mods makes a lot of sense &
customizable pulldown toggles are two dreat examples of how we can have great feature sets & still leave room for personalization & individual taste…

seeker

Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#42 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

I think that stripping it down with no theme would be an excellent idea, and I'll tell you why. It allows for furthur customization for themers, and since it will be a uniform theme, multiple people can make themes for it and have many different variations.

I understand that we can already do this with other ROMs, but if this is the ROM we want to have for the ultimate user ROM, it will allow for many more theme ideas. For instance, you dont necessarily have to include the Arctic stuff in arctic like the logos, but it's kind of dumb to remove them if that's what the ROM's name is, know what I mean? We can do so much with a stock stripped down ROM, which means we'll have many more options to theme.

I'm personally thinking of making multiple colors of the ROM if it is released. Keeping it simple and just doing color changes.

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#43 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

it would be nice if we could somehow get the "software update" menu option to actually work.. ie instead of having to manually download updates you could just do it from within the phone. Don't know how feasible that is with ROMS (I'm not a modder) but I know myself and MANY friends would appreciate that! Plus it seems much more professional :)

It is actually very feasible, and becomes even easier with an unlocked bootloader. I'm unsure of where exactly DHackers KEXEC steps in, so I can't start to guess if bypassing will provide the same functionality. Rom Manager and GooManager both have this functionality built in, but they depend on being able to reboot directly into a recovery mode (CWM prefered by Rom Manager, TWRP prefered by GooManager). They are used extensively on devices receiving nightly updates, with some of the rom builder bots even providing nightly update patches rather than full re-wipes.

#44 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

I don't know if this has been said as I haven't read through this whole thread yet but my #1 requirement is for the car dock to be 100% functional. (I use mine daily) So far, only Eclipse has offered this. I have tried to restore backups of the various dock apps, both blur and ASOP but none of the ROMs I've tried have working sound through the USB. Which means i need to plug extra wires into my phone every time i dock it (again, 4-7 times a day). If this feature doesn't work, I abandon ship and head right back to Eclipse.

The ONLY ROM, that I would put up with audio coming out only through headphone jack would be a Jelly Bean/CM10 build. If I'm running ICS, it needs to be 100% functional. /rant

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#45 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

I like the battery life and extras of the aokp roms but still get annoyed by the rotate bug and loss if data. The data has been improved greatly from earlier builds but is nowhere near blur roms.

A stripped down blur rom with pulldown toggles, 1% battery, reboot, governor modules, speed and battery tweaks would be ideal. There are several existing that are close but missing something.

You basically just described Eclipse

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#46 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

-A ROM that is BootStrapper safe!
I know, I've read all of the pros and cons, but I just don't want a safe system.

-Customisable notification toggles, not just 'this is what you get'.

-Option for NO battery. Please.

-Webtop.

-Did I say BootStrapper support?? !!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bootstraps ship has sailed. Safestrap IS bootstrap but with two divisions. I can not understand why anyone has an issue with safestrap. It works the EXACT SAME WAY as bootstrap only with one place for your stock, rooted system and another place that you can rom, theme, mod and brick until you puke and still have a safe haven. Please, PLEASE PLEASE bootstrap fanboys TELL ME WHY you don't get it?!?

#47 Guest_Bbyland_*

Guest_Bbyland_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Battery life, dark colors (black, blue), overclock/governors baked in, SPEED, remove all bloat, ad blocker, a theme chooser similar to how liberty was, inverted apps, 1% battery, back button to kill apps, custom ringtones and notifications, different led colors, silky smooth fast launcher... I prefer nova, deodex, zip align, custom lock screen options, hopefully dhacker gets kexec running for custom kernels... I think that's a start

##DERP##

#48 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Same as others have mentioned battery life, speed, webtop/hdmi, car and hd dock, 1% battery and pulldown toggles would do it for me.

Bootstraps ship has sailed. Safestrap IS bootstrap but with two divisions. I can not understand why anyone has an issue with safestrap. It works the EXACT SAME WAY as bootstrap only with one place for your stock, rooted system and another place that you can rom, theme, mod and brick until you puke and still have a safe haven. Please, PLEASE PLEASE bootstrap fanboys TELL ME WHY you don't get it?!?

Lol. Who says they dont get it. I have nothing against bootstrap or safestrap. Both are very useful tools. I used safestrap alot before while testing themes and other things and its a great tool and I like it. But most of my crackflashing days are behind me and would most likely stick with one rom for weeks if not months and I would like to use bootstrap if it was supported (which in know it wont). If not I would most likely stay with stock. Again this is my preference and I would not force it or my opinion on anyone and in return I would not want anyone to force their preference or opinion on me. I know the benefits of safestrap and completely understand why bootstrap has reached the end of its days. JMO, :)

Oh and +1 for the creation of safestrap. One of the best tools ever made. :)

#49 Guest_droidpcguru_*

Guest_droidpcguru_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

I would say a mix.. a blur-based rom that keeps fuctionality as the razr was intended, including not killing the stock media apps, with the added twist of the aosp rom controls, reboot menu, and whatnot. Basically a mash-up of the best features of the various roms. Tag in an inverted theme with some nice colors in there and you'll have a real winner :D

#50 n00dle

n00dle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

'Internal memory low'
Then I switch back to safe side and get the same message.
Move stuff to SD-ext you say? Not an option. I use my Maxx to the Max and don't need my system screaming at me that it's out of room. I use it all.

I thought this was a request thread and that's my request. Please respect it as such, even if it gets denied. As I said, I've done the research on the pros and cons. I get it, it just doesn't work for me. Truth is, I barely have enough storage for one system as it is. 8+8+32 just barely enough for this power user. :o

#51 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

I have a 16gb micro sd card and I put all my back ups on that. I have 3 roms and my stock system on there and still have 12gbs of free space for pictures and videos and stuff. I ONLY use my internal memory for my apps and data stuff. Putting back ups on internal memory will make you run out of space quickly. Safestrap does give you the option to back up and restore to and from external sd

#52 megahertz1970

megahertz1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Google+:markw4itg@gmail.com
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

'Internal memory low'
Then I switch back to safe side and get the same message.
Move stuff to SD-ext you say? Not an option. I use my Maxx to the Max and don't need my system screaming at me that it's out of room. I use it all.

I thought this was a request thread and that's my request. Please respect it as such, even if it gets denied. As I said, I've done the research on the pros and cons. I get it, it just doesn't work for me. Truth is, I barely have enough storage for one system as it is. 8+8+32 just barely enough for this power user. :o

Maybe you should invest in a 64 GB card? I will admit it sucks that backups take almost and sometimes more than 2 GB of space. But better safe than sorry. Another suggestion would be do what I do and transfer some of your backups to your computer. I'm sure you are near it at least one a day. Just my 2 cents worth.

#53 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

Same as others have mentioned battery life, speed, webtop/hdmi, car and hd dock, 1% battery and pulldown toggles would do it for me. Lol. Who says they dont get it. I have nothing against bootstrap or safestrap. Both are very useful tools. I used safestrap alot before while testing themes and other things and its a great tool and I like it. But most of my crackflashing days are behind me and would most likely stick with one rom for weeks if not months and I would like to use bootstrap if it was supported (which in know it wont). If not I would most likely stay with stock. Again this is my preference and I would not force it or my opinion on anyone and in return I would not want anyone to force their preference or opinion on me. I know the benefits of safestrap and completely understand why bootstrap has reached the end of its days. JMO, :) Oh and +1 for the creation of safestrap. One of the best tools ever made. :) Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The reason I say this is because more than once I've seen people say they don't like safestrap but for someone the most baseless reasons. The biggest one I see is that SS takes up too much memory on the phone. Which makes no sense because I would think everyone would be putting their backups on their external sd? Some people are just old school and refuse to give the new technology a try which is fine, but don't sit there and bash it if you've never tried it (not you, wulf-people in general). Safestrap is what bootstrap is a Clockworkmod style recovery. If you take out the fact that SS allows you to hide away your stock, rooted system in a safe place, Bootstrap and Safestrap are identical. The controls are the same, the options are the same, the installation is the same. They are exactly the same. The other thing we need to keep in mind is that most dev's now a days are only supporting SS, so folks should just go with the flow. If you are going to be flashing roms and themes and stuff, why NOT have a safe place for your stock system? I get it that we have fastboot files, but do you think I want to wipe and flash a fresh system image and have to reset up all my stuff EVERY time I make a mistake flashing something? It's a PITA. I only use fastboot when I REALLY bork something or I want to clean out the cobwebs. That's basically it.

#54 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

Maybe you should invest in a 64 GB card? I will admit it sucks that backups take almost and sometimes more than 2 GB of space. But better safe than sorry. Another suggestion would be do what I do and transfer some of your backups to your computer. I'm sure you are near it at least one a day. Just my 2 cents worth.

Seriously, you can get a 64 or 32 gig SD card on Amazon (stay away from BBY or other brick and mortar stores). On Amazon these things go for less than 20 bucks. I have a 16 gig in my phone and I can keep 3 back ups plus my stock system on it. I still have 12 gigs free. Another thing when using safestrap is you get options when backing up to include original system and web top. Well, you should already have a back up of your nonsafe system and 99% of these roms don't even have webtop, so say No to both of those options and ALWAYS backup both safe and nonsafe backups on your external storage and you will never have this memory issue.

#55 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

The reason I say this is because more than once I've seen people say they don't like safestrap but for someone the most baseless reasons. The biggest one I see is that SS takes up too much memory on the phone. Which makes no sense because I would think everyone would be putting their backups on their external sd? Some people are just old school and refuse to give the new technology a try which is fine, but don't sit there and bash it if you've never tried it (not you, wulf-people in general). Safestrap is what bootstrap is a Clockworkmod style recovery. If you take out the fact that SS allows you to hide away your stock, rooted system in a safe place, Bootstrap and Safestrap are identical. The controls are the same, the options are the same, the installation is the same. They are exactly the same. The other thing we need to keep in mind is that most dev's now a days are only supporting SS, so folks should just go with the flow. If you are going to be flashing roms and themes and stuff, why NOT have a safe place for your stock system? I get it that we have fastboot files, but do you think I want to wipe and flash a fresh system image and have to reset up all my stuff EVERY time I make a mistake flashing something? It's a PITA. I only use fastboot when I REALLY bork something or I want to clean out the cobwebs. That's basically it.

Like I said I dont have a problem with safestrap at all and I do like it. I agree people shouldn't bash it for whatever reason.
Unlike you I rather enjoy wiping and fastboot my phone. Thats some crazy fun right there, lol :)

#56 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

Like I said I dont have a problem with safestrap at all and I do like it. I agree people shouldn't bash it for whatever reason.
Unlike you I rather enjoy wiping and fastboot my phone. Thats some crazy fun right there, lol :)

Honestly, being the crackflasher I am. I ALSO enjoy fastbooting my phone. Hell, I dont even use RSD or Matts utility. I do it old school. Plug it in and fastboot flash every partition by hand. It's a satisfying fix. But, I hate setting all my stuff back up. It takes forever. LoL

#57 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Honestly, being the crackflasher I am. I ALSO enjoy fastbooting my phone. Hell, I dont even use RSD or Matts utility. I do it old school. Plug it in and fastboot flash every partition by hand. It's a satisfying fix. But, I hate setting all my stuff back up. It takes forever. LoL

I agree. I actually like fastbooting, really gives you a sense of a fresh install. That's a very good feeling :)

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

#58 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

So we are alike, lol. You should have seen me with the droidX, I was real bad with that. One day I must have sbf'd my phone about 8-10 times. I didn't break anything just wanted try some new things cause I was board that day, lol.

Ok I'm done with the thread hijack, lol

#59 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

So we are alike, lol. You should have seen me with the droidX, I was real bad with that. One day I must have sbf'd my phone about 8-10 times. I didn't break anything just wanted try some new things cause I was board that day, lol.

Ok I'm done with the thread hijack, lol

I too came from the droid x but once I found MIUI, I never flashed again. Also sorry for the thread high jack but...on topic. If anyone with dev abilities wants to sink their teeth into an awesome rom, MIUI V4. I would DIE to have this on my phone. If we EVER get Kexec after things that have transpired over the last 24 hours, I know for sure MIUI would be easy as pie to port over. I want MIUI so bad! It is the be all-end all ROM build.

#60 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

I had an X as well and the first time I tried MIUI, I hated it. I tried it again and I really liked it. It had so many small features that made it great and it ran smooth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users