25 replies to this topic

#1 Drinkinbuddy

Drinkinbuddy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

Just came to Droid razr at 5pm yesterday. (27 hour)

My first, out of the box charge lasted 4hrs. My usage was a few calls and texts.

Second was this morning, did a ton of set up with adw, handcent etc. Phone Died in 3hrs.

Flashed to razxr a bit ago. Re did all my settings, phone is dead four hours later.

I have been using Android since the g1 came to America, never seen such horrendous battery life. Any advice?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#2 bstrong

bstrong

Savior of the Razrs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Twitter:bstrong11
  • Google+:bstrong9211
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Get JuiceDefender Ultimate, it's a good investment.

Other than that try to wipe battery stats.

I usually charge to 100%, wipe battery stats, fully discharge to 0%, recharge back to 100%.
Invictus Maneo!

#3 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Are you using 4g? I don't use 4g and can get over 24 hours Easy on this phone. Even if you live in 4g i would turn it off if your not using it. Even on 4g 4 hours is a problem. I would say a lemon. Give it another day and if not better return it. Loads of people get great battery life, don't get discouraged.

sliced by my Razr on Tapatalk

Attached Files

Posted Image

#4 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

Running the rooted stock ROM .748 with bloat frozen via TitaniumBackup and Juice Defender Ultimate set to Aggressive. I get through a full day with no problem. Got up this morning at 4AM EST, and it is now 8:27PM and I'm at 50% battery. I've got probably 1 hour + talk time, ~25 texts, ~20 minutes of Pandora, and an hour or so of gaming in so far (simple games today, nothing very demanding). I am connected to strong wifi networks most of the day, but I was out shopping for about 2 hours this afternoon during which I was using my phone to check in places at the mall via Yelp and Foursquare to get some extra discounts. Other days I have played music over wifi for ~8-9 hours while I am working (I do a combination of prototyping and software design, so I shutting everyone around me out can help quite a bit some days) and I have always had at least 20-30% left at the end of the day. The battery life on this phone is actually very impressive in my experience.

To get that short of batter life, I would assume you are in a very weak 4G coverage area or something. If that is the case, and you are not using Smart Actions or Juice Defender to control the radios, your phone will be constantly trying to get a stable 4G signal which would devastate the battery. 4G in and of itself is very demanding on a battery even in strong signal areas. If your area has weak or no 4G signal, you should probably disable the 4G radio (found in Wireless settings). Setting a Smart Action or using Juice Defender to disable the wireless radios when your screen is turned off can hugely save battery between active uses. After your radios, the next likely culprits are apps trying to sync too often (prevents phone from going into low-power/low speed mode) and screen brightness. Setting the brightness to either auto or a lower value can increase battery life noticeably.

There is actually a thread with many tips on how to squeeze more life out of this phone as well.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#5 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

Turning off background sync/cellular data when the screen is locked helps alot. Use juicedefenderUltimate too.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#6 kl0wn

kl0wn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

I don't have anything disabled when screen is locked, no juice defender, none of that. I just have RAZRX and tons of bloat frozen with Bloat Freezer, and I get great battery life, even with being a Wifi Hotspot.

#7 Drinkinbuddy

Drinkinbuddy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

I did just think about it, I have been using google music all day to strean, could this one app cause my battery this much pain though?

#8 Chris42060

Chris42060

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Twitter:CHRIS42060
  • Google+:Chris White
  • LocationJohnstown, PA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

I did just think about it, I have been using google music all day to strean, could this one app cause my battery this much pain though?

When I workout I stream google music, and it definitely eats through my battery.

#9 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

Get JuiceDefender Ultimate, it's a good investment.

Other than that try to wipe battery stats.

I usually charge to 100%, wipe battery stats, fully discharge to 0%, recharge back to 100%.

Hey just a heads-up that's not good for the battery. Li-on batteries don't have 'memory' like the old Ni-cads did. So there's no need to charge it too 100% and let it die, actually the opposite.

Letting a Li-on battery die shortens it's lifespan every time it happens.

Also, if you have a case on your phone, you might want to take it off for prolonged charging, especially if it creates a lot of heat.

Last thing, you'd be suprised how much of a difference cleaning the contacts with a little contact cleaner and a Q-tip can help battery life.

But I'll second that JD Ultimate is a great investment.

:-D :-D

#10 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'm just stock no root. I have good 4g at home and at work. I don't use the phone much while at work just some texts, few phone calls and browse the web now and then or occasional game or listen to music during lunch. After 8-9 hours I usually have between 40%-70% depending on usage and could last til i get home if I let it. The phone will drop around 10% every 2-3 hours and this is with 4g on all day. I also have a portable charger that I put on after the 8-9 hour mark and it can charge it from 40% to full in about 2 1/2 hours, less if more than 40% charge. The phone with otter box and the slim charger fit in front pocket of normal fit slack or jeans pretty comfortably.

Everyone's usage varies and there are many factors that play a role with battery life like ppl have mentioned weak signal.

I have exchanged phone once already cause the last one gave me issues. I left it on 3g all the time to save battery and one day I couldn't get 3g at all, I switch to 4g and that worked. After being on the phone with Verizon and going through all the steps I had to factory reset the phone so 3g would work again, this was after the update. That's when I decided to replace the phone with a new one and left 4g on all the time. I had little issues with data with occasional drops here and there and when it does happen I toggle airplane mode on/off.

If all else fails it might be a bad phone.

#11 Drinkinbuddy

Drinkinbuddy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

Woke up at 11 phone is at 80% at 1. This was all stand by

#12 DroidRazrAZ

DroidRazrAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Twitter:konellaz
  • Google+:konellaz@gmail.com
  • LocationPDX 2 PHX

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

Woke up at 11 phone is at 80% at 1. This was all stand by

Whoa! Stock?

#13 DroidRazrAZ

DroidRazrAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Twitter:konellaz
  • Google+:konellaz@gmail.com
  • LocationPDX 2 PHX

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

So is this good or bad battery?

Currently 50%

Attached Files

#14 tumbleweed65

tumbleweed65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Twitter:tumblweed65
  • Google+:kend65
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

I'd take it back my batt (bone stock unrooted......) Lasted 6-8 hrs. You may have just got a bad battery

#15 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

Is the in pocket detection on? That alone will kill your battery!

Sent from my Rooted Droid Razr

#16 Drinkinbuddy

Drinkinbuddy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Got a "new" phone (seems refurb).

Battery life is worse than before!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TapatalkI was thinking of giving up on the whole exchange thing and just getting an extended battery, what do yall think?Also, if I did decide to peruse another exchange, would Verizon be easily inclined to exchange?

#17 tumbleweed65

tumbleweed65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Twitter:tumblweed65
  • Google+:kend65
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:30 AM

Battery not replaceable in the RAZR I don't think a extended battery is available. there is a rechargeable external battery I've seen some ppl liked

Sent from a device of some sort. Maybe such a new device that I only had to think it..... BAM it is here

#18 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

Take it back again! That's garbage. No extended battery but you can get some beefy external battery's. I would only use it to recharge a time or 2 throughout the day. However unless you are just constantly on it you shouldn't need it. Also many of the external batteries are smaller than the phone itself, making them fairly convenient. For now though i would return again, and cruize the forums for external batteries.
Best of luck.

Posted Image

#19 Drinkinbuddy

Drinkinbuddy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

So my latest razr seems to be so so. I had a 7 hour battery life with the device on total stand by (sent about 5 text messages in this time, was in school) and played google music for 15 minutes between classes.

Screen timeout was 15
Brightness about 25%
Wi-fi off
Bluetooth Off
Pocket Detection off
Screen animations off
CDMA/LTE ON

Is this "reasonable" battery? Doesn't seem like it since my phone was on stand-by. Also, seems odd that the average Joe who doesn't know what cdma even means, would be able to disable their 4g, so I can't imagine the device is supposed to get this kind of battery life.

#20 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

Sounds good. If its on standby and your not using lte disable it. You will probably double your battery life. If your a rooter freeze some bloat for even more. LTE is a hog plain and simple, not much to do about that.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users