27 replies to this topic

#1 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts
  • Google+:matjmonk@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

I recovered back to my 4.4 Stock nandroid so that I could try and fix the location issue with Beanstalk (and I did) but while I was there, I saw a notification for a new firmware version pop up a few times, has VZW started pushing the new OTA? I looked on a couple of the "other" X sites but I didn't see anyone talking about it, only for TMO. I didn't take the OTA but I was curious if anyone has seen this and gone ahead and pulled the trigger on it.

Posted Image
Bubba, perfide lues Odocoileus virginianus felines et ubique!

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

I recovered back to my 4.4 Stock nandroid so that I could try and fix the location issue with Beanstalk (and I did) but while I was there, I saw a notification for a new firmware version pop up a few times, has VZW started pushing the new OTA? I looked on a couple of the "other" X sites but I didn't see anyone talking about it, only for TMO. I didn't take the OTA but I was curious if anyone has seen this and gone ahead and pulled the trigger on it.

What version does it say it's wanting to do?  There was one update that just fixed a couple things early on and if you did your backup prior to that, you might just be looking at that one.  There is a possibility that you might be looking at the 4.4.2 update as there are a few that have received it randomly, but ???  

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 cvhovey

cvhovey

Post Traumatic nOOb Disorder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Moto X Dev Ed, Moto X Retail, Nexus 7, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X, OG Droid

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

Just keep in mind if not unlocked...per P3Droid tweet on February 6, 2014 https://twitter.com/...322381869522944

"Hey all you locked bootloader Moto X people, after you take that 4.4.2 update, YOU'RE FLUCKD! Have a good night."

Droid Razr M XT907 B/L Unlocked - Stock Rooted

#4 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

What version does it say it's wanting to do?  There was one update that just fixed a couple things early on and if you did your backup prior to that, you might just be looking at that one.  There is a possibility that you might be looking at the 4.4.2 update as there are a few that have received it randomly, but ???  

This was a backup I made on 2/4 before I installed the latest version of Beanstalk so I don't think it would be that maintenance update. I didn't bother clicking on the notification, I guess I could restore the backup and see if it pops up again, it's not like it will install since I already have TWRP and Xposed installed.

Posted Image

#5 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Just keep in mind if not unlocked...per P3Droid tweet on February 6, 2014 https://twitter.com/...322381869522944

"Hey all you locked bootloader Moto X people, after you take that 4.4.2 update, YOU'RE FLUCKD! Have a good night."

Not too worried about that, I have the DE with the bootloader already unlocked.

Posted Image

#6 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Well, I restored the stock backup and the prompt to update showed up again, it's telling me that the update has already downloaded so if someone could remind me where it's cached, I'll pull it off the phone and take a look at it.

Posted Image

#7 cvhovey

cvhovey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Moto X Dev Ed, Moto X Retail, Nexus 7, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X, OG Droid

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

Well, I restored the stock backup and the prompt to update showed up again, it's telling me that the update has already downloaded so if someone could remind me where it's cached, I'll pull it off the phone and take a look at it.

As per Mattlgroff's old instructions for the Razr Maxx, to pull the OTA file: 

" Open Root Explorer and go to the ~/cache/ directory, which resides on the root directory of the phone '~/' "

#8 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

As per Mattlgroff's old instructions for the Razr Maxx, to pull the OTA file: 

" Open Root Explorer and go to the ~/cache/ directory, which resides on the root directory of the phone '~/' "

just looked, don't have a "/cache/directory" on the MX and I've tried looking at almost all of the other directories on the phone but don't see any likely files so maybe it's lying to me!

Posted Image

#9 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

just looked, don't have a "/cache/directory" on the MX and I've tried looking at almost all of the other directories on the phone but don't see any likely files so maybe it's lying to me!

It is just /cache .  Not /cache/directory.  There are likely 3 folders in there - Backup, Recovery and Lost+Found.

• matjmonk likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#10 cvhovey

cvhovey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

In Root Explorer under the "ROOT" tab (as opposed to "SDCARD0"), just open the "cache" folder ... and the OTA should be found there.

Similarly in ES File Explorer, go to the "Device" folder (as opposed to "sdcard" etc) and you'll see the "cache" folder ...

#11 jp1044

jp1044

DEVELOPER

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Twitter:@jp1044
  • Google+:jp1044@gmail.com
  • LocationColorado
  • Current Device(s):MOTO X Developer Edition, Droid RAZR HD (backup)

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

Sorry to kill your excitement, but what matjmonk is seeing is likely a glitch update. I've flashed VZW stock 4.4 a couple times and sometimes when it boots up it says there is an update ready but when you tap on the notification, the update screen shows up but there is no changelog or anything describing the update. I've heard other moto x users have also had this happen to them when they flash back to VZW 4.4

Sent from my Moto X Developer Edition via Tapatalk Pro

• matjmonk likes this

If you feel the urge to donate to me, you can do so here -> Donate

#12 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

It is just /cache .  Not /cache/directory.  There are likely 3 folders in there - Backup, Recovery and Lost+Found.

In Root Explorer under the "ROOT" tab (as opposed to "SDCARD0"), just open the "cache" folder ... and the OTA should be found there.

Similarly in ES File Explorer, go to the "Device" folder (as opposed to "sdcard" etc) and you'll see the "cache" folder ...

Sorry to kill your excitement, but what matjmonk is seeing is likely a glitch update. I've flashed VZW stock 4.4 a couple times and sometimes when it boots up it says there is an update ready but when you tap on the notification, the update screen shows up but there is no changelog or anything describing the update. I've heard other moto x users have also had this happen to them when they flash back to VZW 4.4

Sent from my Moto X Developer Edition via Tapatalk Pro

I think we have the winner! I had found the other folders under cache but there was nothing in any of them so I think JP's answer is the right one, the phone has been lying to me all along! Maybe they are just "greasing the wheels" to prepare for the grand release, from what I've been reading, it shouldn't be too much longer for the VZW Moto X (of course that's what we said about the venerable stone-age™ Bionic's several months ago to!).

Posted Image

#13 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

Possibly for this... http://androiddissec...x-gets-updated/ Nevermind..I read the model number wrong. Damn noob! Sent from my Platyraptor extreme ultra maxxxx 4gLTE/GSM/ABC/123 Nick Knack Pattywack Ermegherd GED, MD,RNA,DNA,YMCA Edition S4! Via the 4th dimension....NOW RUNNING CARBON

#14 Guest_Dalvik_Cache_*

Guest_Dalvik_Cache_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

There is def. a 4.4.2 update. I am running it. Has anyone else gotten it, and also, anyone need it posted?

#15 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:46 AM

There is def. a 4.4.2 update. I am running it. Has anyone else gotten it, and also, anyone need it posted?

yea, it's definitely out, you can get find the files in multiple places on the "X" site and even an unofficial FXZ file you can use if you have a DEV edition. I still haven't updated yet, too lazy to restore my "stock" recovery and system so that I can take the OTA, I'll probably just wait until Eclipse for 4.4.2 comes out and then get motivated to make the change!

Posted Image

#16 jayrod

jayrod

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:16 AM

yea, it's definitely out, you can get find the files in multiple places on the "X" site and even an unofficial FXZ file you can use if you have a DEV edition. I still haven't updated yet, too lazy to restore my "stock" recovery and system so that I can take the OTA, I'll probably just wait until Eclipse for 4.4.2 comes out and then get motivated to make the change!

Yup..same here. Got about 100+ images done in framework and 50 or so in sys UI. Think I'll finish Ui first..gonna be a black and chrome theme...of course! Haha

Sent via Blacked out TapaTalk on my Eclipsed Dev X

#17 Guest_Dalvik_Cache_*

Guest_Dalvik_Cache_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:29 AM

I was just impressed that they didn't even try to remove root in 4.4.2. Very uncharacteristic.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

#18 jayrod

jayrod

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:18 AM

I was just impressed that they didn't even try to remove root in 4.4.2. Very uncharacteristic.

Don't think VZW had much say in the matter...as long as their bloat worked they were fine.

• matjmonk likes this

#19 jp1044

jp1044

DEVELOPER

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Twitter:@jp1044
  • Google+:jp1044@gmail.com
  • LocationColorado
  • Current Device(s):MOTO X Developer Edition, Droid RAZR HD (backup)

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:26 AM

Yeah I think that moto worked out a deal with VZW some how. The X seems to be getting updates at the same time (or sooner) as other carriers which usually doesn't happen. The x is even getting updates faster than the other droids which are very similar hardware wise to the x. It seems like they figured out how to be more independent from VZW for updates.

• matjmonk likes this

If you feel the urge to donate to me, you can do so here -> Donate

#20 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

Yup..same here. Got about 100+ images done in framework and 50 or so in sys UI. Think I'll finish Ui first..gonna be a black and chrome theme...of course! Haha

This is a theme your going to share with the rest of us, right (asked in a meek, hopeful voice)?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users