Photo
- - - - -

Morotola voiding warranty on Dev phone for minor physical damage?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 savannahman

savannahman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

I have a Droid Maxx Developer Edition (XT1080M DEV). I was shocked when the phone fell a short 6" off a ledge and landed on it's bottom edge on the desk and cracked the outer glass on the screen. I thought this was supposed to be gorilla glass? I have a Razr Maxx that I could practically throw against the wall without breaking the glass. The good thing is the phone is still fully functional, I just needed to get the glass replaced. So I called Motorola, told them my issue and they told me the new outer glass would cost me $175 and they would re-flash my phone. I told them it's a dev phone and I don't want it flashed I want the glass replaced. The phone is still fully functional. In addition to trying to charge me $175 for the repair, they were nice enough to look me up in their database and then they informed me that my phone no longer has a warranty. What???? I just bought the phone 5 weeks ago. Apparently, incidental damage like cracked outer glass will void the Motorola warranty. I spoke to about 5 different reps and got the same answer from all of them. Are they for real? If you buy a new car and have a fender bender in a parking lot, yea you have to cover the damages yourself (not under warranty) but the warranty on the car is certainly not voided.

Has anyone else experienced this kind thievery from Motorola? I mean this is criminal! So, I have a brand new $650 phone with no warranty because it has cracked glass. Really?

#2 Gytole

Gytole

The Hicks Boson!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationOhiyah!
  • Current Device(s):HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7 FLO

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

Warranty's have never covered cracked glass...so this doesn't come as a surprise. and Gorilla Glass is "Scratch Resistant" not shatter proof...and it all depends on how it hits when it fell.

But every warranty is void with USER damage, thats just a fact of life. My question to you is if you bought a $650 phone, why didnt you buy a Otterbox defender...

My Droid Maxx xt1080 fell off the roof of my car, and it is still in perfect condition...just a mark on the outside of the otterbox.

Gyt-bauss stock wrecker

#3 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

Warranty's have never covered cracked glass...so this doesn't come as a surprise. and Gorilla Glass is "Scratch Resistant" not shatter proof...and it all depends on how it hits when it fell.
But every warranty is void with USER damage, thats just a fact of life. My question to you is if you bought a $650 phone, why didnt you buy a Otterbox defender...
My Droid Maxx xt1080 fell off the roof of my car, and it is still in perfect condition...just a mark on the outside of the otterbox.

but your toes are sprained after kicking the tire once you realized what happened :)

Sent From My DEV X

• Gytole likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#4 Gytole

Gytole

The Hicks Boson!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationOhiyah!

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

oh trust me my heart started pounding hard but then I picked it up and started rubbing my precious...lmfao

Gyt-bauss stock wrecker

#5 Gytole

Gytole

The Hicks Boson!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationOhiyah!

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

But out of all seriousness...We own a $1000 washer, with a $300 in home warranty, and it doesnt cover user damage.

a $1300 Laptop with a $400 full coverage warranty and it doesnt cover user damage. it like literally states it everywhere...

Thats like you buying a crystal wine glass off me, then dropping it, and telling me to fix it for free. Aint gonna happen...lol

Gyt-bauss stock wrecker

#6 savannahman

savannahman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

I don't expect the warranty to cover user damage weather I think the screen should have cracked or not. The fact is, is said it before and I will say it again. Go buy a new car from Ford, have someone scratch the door in a parking lot. take it to Ford to have them fix it and let them tell you the entire warranty on your car is void because of a scratch on the door. What planet are you from if you are buying this kind of crap man???

#7 savannahman

savannahman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

I was more than happy to pay them for their over priced repair, however to void the warranty is thievery.  My next phone will not be a Motorola that's for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users